If i unplug the 6 pin cables to the GPU. every fan will spin but no POST.

nido2
Go to solution Solved by JenjerBread,
1 hour ago, nido2 said:

Hello everyone, its my very first time building a computer so please do tell me if im doing anything wrong. ;-;

Spec:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard : ASUS prime B350M-A
RAM: corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 (8gb X2)
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
CPU cooler: included cooler with the CPU
PSU: First player Full modular 500W 80 plus bronze
SSD: random SSD brand 516gb (new)
*all of the stuff i have here is used.
Troubleshooting steps that i have tried:
(1) Unplugging the GPU and turning on the system
-after powering on the system, every fan will spin but no POST(as expected cuz i dont have an igpu)

-motherboard shows a static orange light
(2)Swapping ram with a new ram
-swapped with a brand new ram, still will not power on with the gpu plugged in.
-without the gpu plugged in, the fans will spin and shows a static orange light.

(3)Install the GPU into the motherboard but without the six pin connector
-all the fans spins (even the GPU's fan), but no POST on the monitor

bought a new plastic back bracket for the cooler as it is missing from the time i bought the motherboard.(when installing the cpu cooler, the board flexes a little bit, idk if this is normal or not)
**The monitor is working as i use the monitor with a laptop and it works

What might be the problem? i am supposed to have enough Power from the PSU but is the GPU faulty?photo_2023-04-27_20-13-04.jpg.f96ed76790c14b0fd3f3a1764aacfd51.jpg

Confirm that you are not connecting the monitor to the motherboard instead of the GPU.

I am assuming that when you say won't power on, there is no sign of life on the PC. No lights, or fan spin.

I am also assuming that you've done the basics of troubleshooting as other posters has said:

• Clear CMOS
  • Reseat GPU / Test GPU in another system
  • Verify RAM is on QVL

I would suggest that you test the parts outside of the case. Do as you did before with testing the parts. CPU + motherboard + Cooler + 1 stick of Ram + GPU. The motherboard should preferable be on the motherboard box when testing and not on anything that conducts electricity. Connect the PSU to it using the appropriate cables making sure they are correct. Connect your display to the GPU. Then turn on the system using a screwdriver to bridge 2 pins. You can locate the pins using the motherboard manual on page 12 (1-4), Number 8 - Atx Power Button pins.

Manual available here > https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350M-A/E12722_PRIME_B350M-A_UM_web_v3_web_only.pdf?model=prime b350m-a

I'm not sure whether its the camera but there does appear to be some slight curvature at the top, I am going to assume that's from the 3rd party CPU mounting bracket. Try loosening the screws on the cooler a bit to reduce the board flex. Can you take a picture of your standoffs in the case when the motherboard is not present as well. I want to rule out the possibility of a short from a standoff in the wrong location.

Given that your system doesn't turn on at all with the GPU installed + the PCI-E 8 pin power plugged in. I would suspect a short. The orange light is an indicator of power if I'm not mistaken. If that is not on or goes out when you plug in the GPU power cable then I would replace that cable as it is either not meant for that PSU or is not the right type. OR it means you have a faulty GPU. It is unlikely the GPU will be faulty given that you have fan spin. 

EDIT: The orange lighting is referring to the RGB/Board lighting. Not status LEDS. Still a good enough indicator of power and worth checking the above.

To summarise, I would do the following:

• Rebuild the system outside the case.
  • Check that the Power cable going to the GPU is correctly labelled as PCIE or if there is a spare one, to swap it to that and test.
  • Test with another PSU if that fails to work.
  • Maybe loosen the Cooler a bit so the board isn't flexing/bending as much if it is.
  • If the above doesn't help then I would try with a different GPU.

At the very least I would except the system to display a message stating that the GPU power has not been plugged in if the power cable is disconnected.

Hello everyone, its my very first time building a computer so please do tell me if im doing anything wrong. ;-;

Spec:
-after powering on the system, every fan will spin but no POST(as expected cuz i dont have an igpu)

-without the gpu plugged in, the fans will spin and shows a static orange light.

bought a new plastic back bracket for the cooler as it is missing from the time i bought the motherboard.(when installing the cpu cooler, the board flexes a little bit, idk if this is normal or not)

What might be the problem? i am supposed to have enough Power from the PSU but is the GPU faulty?photo_2023-04-27_20-13-04.jpg.f96ed76790c14b0fd3f3a1764aacfd51.jpg

2 minutes ago, nido2 said:

What might be the problem? i am supposed to have enough Power from the PSU but is the GPU faulty?

There is a chance that the GPU is faulty. Does the system behavior change with one stick of ram instead of 2?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

As your parts are used, I would reset the BIOS. It will have settings that were from a different build and may be causing issues. If you can't find the CMOS reset jumper pins you should remove the battery, disconnect the power and hold the power button for 10 seconds to remove all residual power. Then pop the battery back in and try booting with 1 stick of ram making sure it's seated properly.

Also I just noticed that the RAM is in slot A2 and B2, You want to populate both "A" slots first

Problem is, all of your parts are currently in unknown condition. Do you have a known working GPU you can get your hands on, or a known working PC you can try that GPU in? 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

15 minutes ago, TechfromOZ said:

Also I just noticed that the RAM is in slot A2 and B2, You want to populate both "A" slots first

The memory is in the correct slots, you generally want to occupy the outer banks first, so in the case of A1 A2 B1 B2 you want to use A2 and B2 first, or A2 for 1 stick. Does it matter for 1 stick? Not much, but for dual channel it does. The OP's motherboard manual has no slot suggestion for the sticks but most motherboards use the same configuration.

For example, the MSI X399 Creation manual, scroll to page 34 for detailed information:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B92v1.2.pdf

You might want to try a different GPU if you can.

Based on what Im reading from AMDs website the 1600 CPU does not have an iGPU. Any motherboard video out ports aren't usable. A GPU is required and some PCs won't POST without one.

8 minutes ago, Naijin said:

The memory is in the correct slots, you generally want to occupy the outer banks first, so in the case of A1 A2 B1 B2 you want to use A2 and B2 first, or A2 for 1 stick. Does it matter for 1 stick? Not much, but for dual channel it does. The OP's motherboard manual has no slot suggestion for the sticks but most motherboards use the same configuration.

For example, the MSI X399 Creation manual, scroll to page 34 for detailed information:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B92v1.2.pdf

My mistake, there are some unknowns with the used parts. Basic troubleshooting can help to a point, Checking that the CPU is good and all the pins are in tact. I would start by checking the CPU first. If a pin is broken the machine would still spin up and light up but no post. As Naijin suggests installing 1 stick of ram. Take the build back to basics and disconnect the SATA cable as well. It may be difficult to diagnose without a known working GPU. Others to check is whether the RAM is in the list of compatible vendors as that will also contribute no no post.

1 hour ago, nido2 said:

Spec:

Confirm that you are not connecting the monitor to the motherboard instead of the GPU.

I am assuming that when you say won't power on, there is no sign of life on the PC. No lights, or fan spin.

I am also assuming that you've done the basics of troubleshooting as other posters has said:

• Clear CMOS
  • Verify RAM is on QVL

I would suggest that you test the parts outside of the case. Do as you did before with testing the parts. CPU + motherboard + Cooler + 1 stick of Ram + GPU. The motherboard should preferable be on the motherboard box when testing and not on anything that conducts electricity. Connect the PSU to it using the appropriate cables making sure they are correct. Connect your display to the GPU. Then turn on the system using a screwdriver to bridge 2 pins. You can locate the pins using the motherboard manual on page 12 (1-4), Number 8 - Atx Power Button pins.

Manual available here > https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350M-A/E12722_PRIME_B350M-A_UM_web_v3_web_only.pdf?model=prime b350m-a

I'm not sure whether its the camera but there does appear to be some slight curvature at the top, I am going to assume that's from the 3rd party CPU mounting bracket. Try loosening the screws on the cooler a bit to reduce the board flex. Can you take a picture of your standoffs in the case when the motherboard is not present as well. I want to rule out the possibility of a short from a standoff in the wrong location.

Given that your system doesn't turn on at all with the GPU installed + the PCI-E 8 pin power plugged in. I would suspect a short. The orange light is an indicator of power if I'm not mistaken. If that is not on or goes out when you plug in the GPU power cable then I would replace that cable as it is either not meant for that PSU or is not the right type. OR it means you have a faulty GPU. It is unlikely the GPU will be faulty given that you have fan spin. 

EDIT: The orange lighting is referring to the RGB/Board lighting. Not status LEDS. Still a good enough indicator of power and worth checking the above.

• Check that the Power cable going to the GPU is correctly labelled as PCIE or if there is a spare one, to swap it to that and test.
  • Maybe loosen the Cooler a bit so the board isn't flexing/bending as much if it is.

At the very least I would except the system to display a message stating that the GPU power has not been plugged in if the power cable is disconnected.

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

34 minutes ago, JenjerBread said:

• Clear CMOS
  • Verify RAM is on QVL

Thank you for the detailed reply, I have cleared the CMOS by bridging the CLRTC pins, I cannot reseat the GPU as this motherboard has only one pcie lane that can support the GPU and i also do not have another system where i can test it on. sorry about that ;/ but it is true that the motherboard did flex for a little bit when installing the cooler. Will take a picture after i take the motherboard out of the case tomorrow (its almost midnight here) 
Based on what i googled online, it seems like orange light as shown in the picture above means something is wrong? not really sure as well because nothing came out when i googled "ASUS prime B350m-a orange light"
Unfortunately, i do not have another PSU as well because its my first system but am willing to buy a new PSU to test it out, i might try to buy a cheap gpu just to test it out as well. Sorry for the poor english because its not my first language.
But i would like to rule out that the PSU is faulty as well as the fan is spinning when i turned on the system( CPU+cooler+ram+ssd+ no gpu)

50 minutes ago, TechfromOZ said:

My mistake, there are some unknowns with the used parts. Basic troubleshooting can help to a point, Checking that the CPU is good and all the pins are in tact. I would start by checking the CPU first. If a pin is broken the machine would still spin up and light up but no post. As Naijin suggests installing 1 stick of ram. Take the build back to basics and disconnect the SATA cable as well. It may be difficult to diagnose without a known working GPU. Others to check is whether the RAM is in the list of compatible vendors as that will also contribute no no post.

Thanks for the reply too!
CPU pins is also checked before installing, no pins was bent so i would like to think the CPU is fine.  and if i disconnect the SSD would the system even boot without an SSD?

Edited by nido2

13 minutes ago, nido2 said:

Thank you for the detailed reply, I have cleared the CMOS by bridging the CLRTC pins, I cannot reseat the GPU as this motherboard has only one pcie lane that can support the GPU and i also do not have another system where i can test it on. sorry about that ;/ but it is true that the motherboard did flex for a little bit when installing the cooler. Will take a picture after i take the motherboard out of the case tomorrow (its almost midnight here) 
Based on what i googled online, it seems like orange light as shown in the picture above means something is wrong? not really sure as well because nothing came out when i googled "ASUS prime B350m-a orange light"
Unfortunately, i do not have another PSU as well because its my first system but am willing to buy a new PSU to test it out, i might try to buy a cheap gpu just to test it out as well. Sorry for the poor english because its not my first language.
But i would like to rule out that the PSU is faulty as well as the fan is spinning when i turned on the system( CPU+cooler+ram+ssd+ no gpu)

Thanks for the reply too!
CPU pins is also checked before installing, no pins was bent so i would like to think the CPU is fine.  and if i disconnect the SSD would the system even boot without an SSD?

Your English is superb!

By reseating, I simply mean removing it from the slot then reinserting it back into the same slot.

I think it will be good to verify that the GPU + PSU works.

I will have a look at "ASUS prime B350m-a orange light". By Orange light, am I correct in thinking that you are referring to the lines on the motherboard near the back of the PCI-E slot and the bottom of the motherboard IO?

Don't worry about disconnected SSD, even without storage, the system should still turn on and show the motherboard logo/splash screen. The only difference is that it will not go into windows which is irrelevant right now since we can't even see POST.

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

What you did wrong is that you cheaped out with a no name piece of junk PSU which most likely can't output the amount of power it states it is capable of outputting.

Purchase a PSU from a reputable company and not the cheapest thing you can get because you shouldn't cheap out on the PSU.

Unfortunately, it looks as if you have a little can of worms on your hands. Without other parts to aid in diagnosing the issue it may be difficult to get this machine to post.

After reading more comments I would suggest that you get yourself a NEW in BOX 600W PSU. Something from a reputable brand as I've never heard of that manufacturer before. Starting with knowing you have good power is essential otherwise you are just going to be in doubt about every other step in finding the problem. 

A PSU from Thermaltake, Coolermaster etc. They don't have to hurt the bank but you do need something decent as it's in my opinion the most important part of your rig. With a faulty PSU, it will be like everything is failing where everything my be ok. I would start there. Good Luck!

9 hours ago, demonix00 said:

What you did wrong is that you cheaped out with a no name piece of junk PSU which most likely can't output the amount of power it states it is capable of outputting.

Purchase a PSU from a reputable company and not the cheapest thing you can get because you shouldn't cheap out on the PSU.

Hey there, thanks for the comment, it was actually sold in a set along the motherboard and case so yea didnt have a choice here, will be willing to upgrade to a better PSU after testing all the steps provided by JenjerBread.

2 hours ago, TechfromOZ said:

Unfortunately, it looks as if you have a little can of worms on your hands. Without other parts to aid in diagnosing the issue it may be difficult to get this machine to post.

After reading more comments I would suggest that you get yourself a NEW in BOX 600W PSU. Something from a reputable brand as I've never heard of that manufacturer before. Starting with knowing you have good power is essential otherwise you are just going to be in doubt about every other step in finding the problem. 

A PSU from Thermaltake, Coolermaster etc. They don't have to hurt the bank but you do need something decent as it's in my opinion the most important part of your rig. With a faulty PSU, it will be like everything is failing where everything my be ok. I would start there. Good Luck!

Thanks for the comment! the suggestions is much appreciated

19 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

Thank you i finally found the culprit!! it was the power cable that was faulty, i swapped it out with another power cable and it finally booted! Thanks so much!! :))) Thanks for the politeness and professionalism as well, rebuilding the computer outside the case is definitely a good suggestion