emmc on TrueNas Core showing as 4mb

Go to solution Solved by moolmool,

I, gparted is another tool for the same job, it is indeed easier to use. When creating a new partition table with gparted, does it not offer gpt ? If so try to select it.

I did some searching and it seems truenas has some issues with emmc block devices, see special-emmc-partition-shows-up-in-disks

Furthermore sorry I did not pick up on this earlier, but it is not recommended to install Truenas on flash storage like this.

So if you can find another place for your truenas install I believe it would be for the best.

I want to make a temp TrueNas server and I want to use my usb for now, I know it's bad practice but It's the best solution for my use case. My USB's storage shows up perfectly but my laptop's emmc storage shows only as 4mb, I think it might be a different partition and it doesn't seem to show the main partition/correct one this is what I see 

image.thumb.png.180a5f9dfdd3c54cd800a96d49562c52.png

and this is what gpart show mmcsd0boot1 shows me, it came with Windows 10 but updated it to windows 11, but when I try to use it for Truenas it doesn't show the correct storage size, I saw in a forum installing Ubuntu fixes this, I tried that and nothing changed, could anyone help me out? Thanks!

image.png.82a70127b0be46c5055c296662280e08.png

I want an option to use the 58GB mmcsd0

What does gpart show -l outputs ?

If your goal is to install truenas on mmcsd0 and you don't care about the data on the disk, you can try writing a new gpt partition table on the drive with gpart and see what the truenas interface picks up then.

8 hours ago, moolmool said:

What does gpart show -l outputs ?

If your goal is to install truenas on mmcsd0 and you don't care about the data on the disk, you can try writing a new gpt partition table on the drive with gpart and see what the truenas interface picks up then.

Sorry for the late reply I got too tired and decided to go to bed, but thanks for responding! This is the output of the command!

image.png.7e24a95d28553b269f7b3478524817b1.png

Ok so what I would do is create a new partition table with gpart, like so

gpart create -s GPT /dev/mmcsd0
gpart commit /dev/mmcsd0

Here is gpart manual https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?gpart(8)

This will wipe all data on the drive, and hopefully will help truenas to detect it.

19 minutes ago, moolmool said:

Ok so what I would do is create a new partition table with gpart, like so

gpart create -s GPT /dev/mmcsd0
gpart commit /dev/mmcsd0

Here is gpart manual https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?gpart(8)

This will wipe all data on the drive, and hopefully will help truenas to detect it.

I was messing with the partitions for a bit, but I wasn't able to understand anything since I'm very new to this. I installed a bootable usb with "gparted" which gave me a gui to make a new partition table and I think it worked, I chose msdos as the type but I wasn't getting it to appear on the gui, though while entering your new commands I noticed gpart show -l shows mmcsd0 properly (i think) yet I can't see it ont he gui, and it wont let me run the new commands you gave me. I've looked into the gpart manual and it was very overwhealming but I'll keep at it, if you have anything else I can try please let me know!

20230425_175002.jpg

I, gparted is another tool for the same job, it is indeed easier to use. When creating a new partition table with gparted, does it not offer gpt ? If so try to select it.

I did some searching and it seems truenas has some issues with emmc block devices, see special-emmc-partition-shows-up-in-disks

Furthermore sorry I did not pick up on this earlier, but it is not recommended to install Truenas on flash storage like this.

So if you can find another place for your truenas install I believe it would be for the best.