Black screen issue with Intel HD Graphics

Go to solution Solved by 78372,

Regarding the black screen issue being a thing on other GPUs as well, I found a solution online that might just work.

Basically, there is a feature on newer versions of Windows called Multi-Plane Overlay that sometimes causes the flickering and black screen on all of the GPUs. The solution is to add this to the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
  "OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

Some sources regarding this error and solution: Reddit(AMD) NVIDIA

I am testing this right now, will take some days to confirm.

Edit: That seems to fix the issue. After 4 freaking years I found the fix lmfao

I am not sure if this is the right subforum to post this, but here we go.

I have a potato laptop with a Pentium N3710 processor, 4GB RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 405. It has been 3.5 years since I use it as my daily driver. Even in 2023, I am still not able to use Windows 10 on this, because of a bug from the Intel HD Graphics driver. When I install the driver on Windows 10 (No matter if it’s the OEM-provided one or the latest one downloaded from Intel’s website) and use a program that uses hardware acceleration, the screen blacks out. Especially if you are using Zoom, and someone shares their screen, the black screen will come in most cases. Although it is possible to disable hardware acceleration from the zoom settings, and so for Microsoft Office and Edge/chrome, that is barely a workaround. Even if I don’t use the hardware acceleration in these programs, I absolutely have to use it in the VLC media player, otherwise, the video will stutter for sure. The same problem never happens with Windows 7 or 8.1. A quick Google search shows fixes like using your secondary NVIDIA GPU for hardware acceleration, but I don’t have a secondary GPU. A lot of folks have been able to fix it by using OEM drivers or tweaking random settings from the HD graphics control panel, but I am sure it was kind of a placebo thing for them, and the problem is not actually fixed. The black screen issue does not happen all the time, I used Windows 10 1809 for six months until this issue reappeared, and this issue is more common on newer Windows versions. But the issue eventually does appear. My processor has reached the end of its service lifetime, I cannot really expect a fix from Intel now even though I am facing this issue since 2019 I think, but I do not know if I will ever buy a laptop with Intel integrated graphics anymore.

That was a big rant, but does anyone know a solution to this? I have already lost hope regarding this issue and using Windows 8.1, but I would like to get rid of outdated software and upgrade to Windows 10.

Things to try are go to the Potato's laptop support site check for bios updates. 

Also Check for firmware updates

Firmware often addresses issues related with the intel CPU and chipset etc might well be the answer but I cannot find the potato manufacturers support site.

You never mentioned the brand of potato. 

Secondary things to check are try to monitor temps and see if the fans for the cooling solution have gotten clogged with fine dust dirt cat hairs etc. if the cooling is inefficient it can lead to any number of temperature issues and laptops behave erratically as a result.

25 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

Things to try are go to the Potato's laptop support site check for bios updates. 

Also Check for firmware updates

Firmware often addresses issues related with the intel CPU and chipset etc might well be the answer but I cannot find the potato manufacturers support site.

You never mentioned the brand of potato. 

Secondary things to check are try to monitor temps and see if the fans for the cooling solution have gotten clogged with fine dust dirt cat hairs etc. if the cooling is inefficient it can lead to any number of temperature issues and laptops behave erratically as a result.

I am using the latest firmware. The model is Lenovo Ideapad 110 15IBR 80T7. The temps are not bad, and the issue is not with other versions of windows or linux, so it cannot be that issue.

have you tried the press Windows key + Shift + Ctrl + B at the same time to recover from a black screen ?

Also check your settings related to sleep etc. Things as fast boot if enabled turn it off. Windows 10 did have and still has I believe issues with the settings related to sleep fast boot etc.

Is there anything that prevent you from moving from 10 to windows 11 ? 

Windows 11 is more robust and many of the windows 10 oddities were fixed.

14 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

have you tried the press Windows key + Shift + Ctrl + B at the same time to recover from a black screen ?

Also check your settings related to sleep etc. Things as fast boot if enabled turn it off. Windows 10 did have and still has I believe issues with the settings related to sleep fast boot etc.

Is there anything that prevent you from moving from 10 to windows 11 ? 

Windows 11 is more robust and many of the windows 10 oddities were fixed. I have tried turning off hybrid shutdown as well.

Yes, I tried that shortcut, but it did not work (the display came for half a second and blacked out again). I have tried Windows 11, the issues still exist in that. Tried turning hybrid shutdown off as well, did not work.

Sounds like a really odd issue and everything I can think of you have already done......

I suppose if you are comfortable within the Linux environment then you have a decent option but possibly the bug you refer to is something that in your situation is simply going to remain. Not all CPU's even from the same family are equal. just one tiny error in the manufacturing process is possibly the culprit but I am not technically literate enough to know if that is the case in your situation.

Only one thing I can think of but you may well have tried already is to drop in a new ssd if you have one and try a fresh install without any other software and see if that helps, if it does not then I would assume it is a hardware issue and not something fixable via software.

4 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

Sounds like a really odd issue and everything I can think of you have already done......

I suppose if you are comfortable within the Linux environment then you have a decent option but possibly the bug you refer to is something that in your situation is simply going to remain. Not all CPU's even from the same family are equal. just one tiny error in the manufacturing process is possibly the culprit but I am not technically literate enough to know if that is the case in your situation.

Only one thing I can think of but you may well have tried already is to drop in a new ssd if you have one and try a fresh install without any other software and see if that helps, if it does not then I would assume it is a hardware issue and not something fixable via software.

This laptop had an HDD before, which I replaced with an SSD later. However, that issue does not happen on Linux, windows 7, and windows 8.1. It is just windows 10 and 11 where the driver fails. I am using windows 8.1 for my daily driver to get rid of the issue, but I want to upgrade to windows 10 if that is possible. Note that I still dual boot with windows 10 for Minecraft, I do everything else on windows 8.1. 

Is it at all possible that you might have possible conflict/interference  with drivers from one system inadvertently impacting those of another system ?

I am out of ideas to be any more help to you I am afraid. Hopefully someone else has an idea that might work for you. I hope you get the issue resolved.

1 minute ago, johnno23 said:

Is it at all possible that you might have possible conflict/interference  with drivers from one system inadvertently impacting those of another system ?

I am out of ideas to be any more help to you I am afraid. Hopefully someone else has an idea that might work for you. I hope you get the issue resolved.

I had only one OS before (Windows 10), and had that issue, which is why I had to install Windows 8.1 later so that I can work. Anyways, thanks for your effort, I really did not expect a fix as I have tried almost everything in the last 3+ years. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2023 at 7:22 AM, 78372 said:

I am not sure if this is the right subforum to post this, but here we go.

I have a potato laptop with a Pentium N3710 processor, 4GB RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 405. It has been 3.5 years since I use it as my daily driver. Even in 2023, I am still not able to use Windows 10 on this, because of a bug from the Intel HD Graphics driver. When I install the driver on Windows 10 (No matter if it’s the OEM-provided one or the latest one downloaded from Intel’s website) and use a program that uses hardware acceleration, the screen blacks out. Especially if you are using Zoom, and someone shares their screen, the black screen will come in most cases. Although it is possible to disable hardware acceleration from the zoom settings, and so for Microsoft Office and Edge/chrome, that is barely a workaround. Even if I don’t use the hardware acceleration in these programs, I absolutely have to use it in the VLC media player, otherwise, the video will stutter for sure. The same problem never happens with Windows 7 or 8.1. A quick Google search shows fixes like using your secondary NVIDIA GPU for hardware acceleration, but I don’t have a secondary GPU. A lot of folks have been able to fix it by using OEM drivers or tweaking random settings from the HD graphics control panel, but I am sure it was kind of a placebo thing for them, and the problem is not actually fixed. The black screen issue does not happen all the time, I used Windows 10 1809 for six months until this issue reappeared, and this issue is more common on newer Windows versions. But the issue eventually does appear. My processor has reached the end of its service lifetime, I cannot really expect a fix from Intel now even though I am facing this issue since 2019 I think, but I do not know if I will ever buy a laptop with Intel integrated graphics anymore.

That was a big rant, but does anyone know a solution to this? I have already lost hope regarding this issue and using Windows 8.1, but I would like to get rid of outdated software and upgrade to Windows 10.

I am having the exact same issue did you ever find a solution other than using windows 8?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2023 at 7:42 PM, H I said:

I am having the exact same issue did you ever find a solution other than using windows 8?

Not yet. Using windows 7/8/8.1 works, and even linux works without any issues. Disabling hardware acceleration in applications seems to be the only workaround, with an obvious performance drop. 

On 8/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, 78372 said:

Not yet. Using windows 7/8/8.1 works, and even linux works without any issues. Disabling hardware acceleration in applications seems to be the only workaround, with an obvious performance drop. 

I have found that windows 10 ltsb 2016 works with include driver updates with windows update disabled and with this graphics driver Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40] Make sure it is the win64_15.40.42.5063.exe version.

I have found this version of windows 10 and graphics driver works perfectly fine. It has slightly better software support than 7/8.1 but it is still quite poor in that respect. I used all of the drivers from lenovo appart from the display drivers which I have linked. I have know idea what causes this issue on the later versions of windows 10 but it does seem to affect all lenovo 110 15-IBR laptops.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, 78372 said:

Windows 2016 LTSB has been working fine for me with HW acceleration enabled and seems to perform much faster once the spectre patches are disabled

On 8/6/2023 at 5:13 PM, H I said:

Windows 2016 LTSB has been working fine for me with HW acceleration enabled and seems to perform much faster once the spectre patches are disabled

I'm not sure but the issue seems to have something to do with service host grouping, as this was enabled in the creators update (1703). Maybe that is why 2016 works fine. I would have to do more tests on my system though.

On 8/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, H I said:

I have found that windows 10 ltsb 2016 works with include driver updates with windows update disabled and with this graphics driver Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40] Make sure it is the win64_15.40.42.5063.exe version.

I have found this version of windows 10 and graphics driver works perfectly fine. It has slightly better software support than 7/8.1 but it is still quite poor in that respect. I used all of the drivers from lenovo appart from the display drivers which I have linked. I have know idea what causes this issue on the later versions of windows 10 but it does seem to affect all lenovo 110 15-IBR laptops.

Have you tested the LTSC 2019 version with that driver? According to lenovo's website, this was the last version of windows that was officially tested for this laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:53 AM, 78372 said:

Have you tested the LTSC 2019 version with that driver? According to lenovo's website, this was the last version of windows that was officially tested for this laptop.

I haven't tried LTSC mainly because it isn't my laptop and I was sorting it out for a relative and I knew for a fact that 1511 works because that is what it came with and it was running 1607 perfectly fine before I replaced the HDD with an SSD.

I haven't tested LTSC 2019 because I had a feeling that something had either changed in windows or the intel driver and with 2016 being a similar age to the laptop I just played it safe. 

On 8/9/2023 at 3:48 PM, 78372 said:

I'm not sure but the issue seems to have something to do with service host grouping, as this was enabled in the creators update (1703). Maybe that is why 2016 works fine. I would have to do more tests on my system though.

Have you tried the LTSB 2016 because I haven't had any issues since exept for a HP printer 😱 not being compatible with 20H1 or older. 

On 8/14/2023 at 6:53 AM, 78372 said:

I have looked into this and according to what I have found on lenovo's website it says that the device is supported all the way up to 1909 which would mean the issue was never flagged up because the issue occured for you when you was running 1809 which is the as LTSC 2019. 

Also I think I forgot to mention this but the latest BIOS update just changes the boot logo so it is a complete waste of time updating it.

Edited by H I
Forgot to link website

I have just installed LTSB 2016 today after finding out that even after disabling service grouping, LTSC 2019 has that bug. Still, dual booting with Windows 8.1 to be safe and hopefully, LTSB 2016 will not have that bug.

13 hours ago, 78372 said:

I have just installed LTSB 2016 today after finding out that even after disabling service grouping, LTSC 2019 has that bug. Still, dual booting with Windows 8.1 to be safe and hopefully, LTSB 2016 will not have that bug.

Did it still do it with the lenovo drivers and the graphics driver I linked? I also disabled drivers with windows updates and when I installed the os it was fully offline untill I had changed that group policy. In a few weeks the laptop is being replaced (Finally 🙂) so I will be able to try and investigate better.

I wonder how many people have this issue because it does seem to be quite a wide spread issue, kinda like the dreaded toshiba r50-b-12p with the intel management engine issues which effected every single laptop updated past 1809.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, H I said:

Did it still do it with the lenovo drivers and the graphics driver I linked? I also disabled drivers with windows updates and when I installed the os it was fully offline untill I had changed that group policy. In a few weeks the laptop is being replaced (Finally 🙂) so I will be able to try and investigate better.

I wonder how many people have this issue because it does seem to be quite a wide spread issue, kinda like the dreaded toshiba r50-b-12p with the intel management engine issues which effected every single laptop updated past 1809.

Yes, it was with that driver. I am trying LTSB 2016 as long as I can, if I can't I will get back to 8.1. Cannot really replace my laptop in a few years.

22 hours ago, 78372 said:

Yes, it was with that driver. I am trying LTSB 2016 as long as I can, if I can't I will get back to 8.1. Cannot really replace my laptop in a few years.

If it was with the driver then something has definitely changed with windows. I just find it weird that it only effects these lenovo laptops and not every single laptop with the n3710 chipset.

3 hours ago, H I said:

If it was with the driver then something has definitely changed with windows. I just find it weird that it only effects these lenovo laptops and not every single laptop with the n3710 chipset.

If you search "Zoom black screen" on Google, you will find numerous complaints about this bug in various laptops. I highly doubt that it is a coincidence. Even I did not notice this bug for a few months, and there are no patterns of when or how this bug shows up.

24 minutes ago, 78372 said:

If you search "Zoom black screen" on Google, you will find numerous complaints about this bug in various laptops. I highly doubt that it is a coincidence. Even I did not notice this bug for a few months, and there are no patterns of when or how this bug shows up.

When I next get hold of the laptop I will see if zoom has any issues as far as I am aware zoom hasn't been used on the laptop but from what I looked up about the "Zoom black screen" on google screen sharing causes it 9/10 times so I will look into that.

13 hours ago, H I said:

When I next get hold of the laptop I will see if zoom has any issues as far as I am aware zoom hasn't been used on the laptop but from what I looked up about the "Zoom black screen" on google screen sharing causes it 9/10 times so I will look into that.

That was the first time I found this bug on my laptop. Zoom uses hardware acceleration, and that brings the black screen up. The same goes for browsers, if you turn hardware acceleration off, the black screen bug will not be there. Video players use hardware acceleration as well, so does MS office.