Black screen issue with Intel HD Graphics

Go to solution Solved by 78372,

Regarding the black screen issue being a thing on other GPUs as well, I found a solution online that might just work.

Basically, there is a feature on newer versions of Windows called Multi-Plane Overlay that sometimes causes the flickering and black screen on all of the GPUs. The solution is to add this to the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
  "OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

Some sources regarding this error and solution: Reddit(AMD) NVIDIA

I am testing this right now, will take some days to confirm.

Edit: That seems to fix the issue. After 4 freaking years I found the fix lmfao

12 hours ago, 78372 said:

That was the first time I found this bug on my laptop. Zoom uses hardware acceleration, and that brings the black screen up. The same goes for browsers, if you turn hardware acceleration off, the black screen bug will not be there. Video players use hardware acceleration as well, so does MS office.

I've been doing zoom calls all day to myself and when screen sharing starts the screen seems to flash black 2 to 3 times then works perfectly fine on LTSB 2016 I will try LTSC 2019 21H2 and see if it occurs when I set everything up exactly the same. I will use "windows to go" to investigate further.

Edited by H I
Realised I didn't have an ISO for LTSB 2019 and couldn't be bothered to source one

31 minutes ago, H I said:

I've been doing zoom calls all day to myself and when screen sharing starts the screen seems to flash black 2 to 3 times then works perfectly fine on LTSB 2016 I will try LTSC 2019 21H2 and see if it occurs when I set everything up exactly the same. I will use "windows to go" to investigate further.

21H2 has that bug btw, and I have tested it on my system. Does not happen all the time obviously, we have not yet found precisely why or when the bug shows up.

Kind of an off-topic though, but have you tried Windows 7 on this system? There is a weird bug on that OS, the brightness (f11/f12) keys do not work on that OS, even after the drivers from lenovo. 

46 minutes ago, 78372 said:

21H2 has that bug btw, and I have tested it on my system. Does not happen all the time obviously, we have not yet found precisely why or when the bug shows up.

Kind of an off-topic though, but have you tried Windows 7 on this system? There is a weird bug on that OS, the brightness (f11/f12) keys do not work on that OS, even after the drivers from lenovo. 

No I can't say I have ever tried anything pre windows 10 1511 on the system because the laptop was replacing a laptop stuck on windows 7 (kinda ironic).

48 minutes ago, 78372 said:

I  have tried windows 10 21H2 and no matter what I do windows automaticly installs the dud driver (even if I have it offline) so I think every time I tried installing a different driver windows kept overriding it even with the gpo and reg edits to disable automatic driver delivery so I am hoping that this is the issue.

14 hours ago, H I said:

I  have tried windows 10 21H2 and no matter what I do windows automaticly installs the dud driver (even if I have it offline) so I think every time I tried installing a different driver windows kept overriding it even with the gpo and reg edits to disable automatic driver delivery so I am hoping that this is the issue.

Try rolling back the driver from the device manager, Windows usually does not reinstall a rolled-back driver, until it does.

On 8/30/2023 at 8:23 AM, 78372 said:

Try rolling back the driver from the device manager, Windows usually does not reinstall a rolled-back driver, until it does.

I have tried again to get the older drivers working and windows just keeps installing the broken one over and over again. The laptop is also painfully slow to use as well and the cpu clock speed seems to be limited to 1.6ghz instead of 2.56ghz and even opening the start menu is enough to give it a black screen fit so I think windows 1609 is the the best option for now at least untill the 2026 support cut off.

I also had a few

:( your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart.

1 hour ago, H I said:

I have tried again to get the older drivers working and windows just keeps installing the broken one over and over again. The laptop is also painfully slow to use as well and the cpu clock speed seems to be limited to 1.6ghz instead of 2.56ghz and even opening the start menu is enough to give it a black screen fit so I think windows 1609 is the the best option for now at least untill the 2026 support cut off.

I also had a few

:( your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart.

I have an SSD here, so the performance is not that slow, however, it might be just that I have not experienced anything better. LTSB 2016 had some unusual memory leaks by svchost here, the memory usage often rises up to 3.5G+ without using any program. So, I am sticking with Windows 8.1 for now, until security updates cut off in 2026 (Basically sever 2012 R2 ESU updates via WU patch).

Regarding the clock speed, you can use throttlestop to make it go up to 2.56 GHz all the time. However, without a cooler, it throttles even harder (Down to 480 Mhz) when the laptop gets hot enough.

Edited by 78372
Added clock speed section

On 8/31/2023 at 4:12 PM, 78372 said:

I have an SSD here, so the performance is not that slow, however, it might be just that I have not experienced anything better. LTSB 2016 had some unusual memory leaks by svchost here, the memory usage often rises up to 3.5G+ without using any program. So, I am sticking with Windows 8.1 for now, until security updates cut off in 2026 (Basically sever 2012 R2 ESU updates via WU patch).

Regarding the clock speed, you can use throttlestop to make it go up to 2.56 GHz all the time. However, without a cooler, it throttles even harder (Down to 480 Mhz) when the laptop gets hot enough.

I haven't had any memory leaks in LTSB but I have had a similar issue to you with svchost using a lot of ram but it seemed to sort it's self out after installing the various cumulative patches needed which took forever but once it did them it has been perfectly stable since.

On LTSB I have found that it doesn't throttle until the cpu reaches around 85oc where as on 21H2 it woud throttle regardless even with throttlestop and the intel power management disabled. 

Compared to moden hardware it is a slow chipset even with a SSD but it is still perfectly usable performance wise for day to day tasks but a 12th gen or newer will blow your mind with how good they are.

3 hours ago, H I said:

I haven't had any memory leaks in LTSB but I have had a similar issue to you with svchost using a lot of ram but it seemed to sort it's self out after installing the various cumulative patches needed which took forever but once it did them it has been perfectly stable since.

On LTSB I have found that it doesn't throttle until the cpu reaches around 85oc where as on 21H2 it woud throttle regardless even with throttlestop and the intel power management disabled. 

Compared to moden hardware it is a slow chipset even with a SSD but it is still perfectly usable performance wise for day to day tasks but a 12th gen or newer will blow your mind with how good they are.

Yeah, that memory usage is what I was talking about. Intel is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth, will go with AMD for my next PC I think.

On 9/2/2023 at 3:12 PM, H I said:

I would like to ask one more thing. Did the latest graphics driver cause that bug on LTSB 2016 or not?

On 9/5/2023 at 6:47 PM, 78372 said:

I would like to ask one more thing. Did the latest graphics driver cause that bug on LTSB 2016 or not?

I only tried the win64_15.40.42.5063 version of the driver and that one did not have the bug on LTSB 2016 the latest one might work but I wouldn't count on it.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:27 PM, 78372 said:

Yeah, that memory usage is what I was talking about. Intel is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth, will go with AMD for my next PC I think.

The memory usage is fine once you give it time to sort it's self out. I have had major issues with AMD in the past as well as intel. The first AMD laptop I had ran so hot the CPU de-soldered it's self, I had an FM2+ desktop which the CPU burnt out on so I replaced it and then the motherboard started smoldering and melting, my current desktop had issues when windows 11 first came out (ryzen 5 1600) which caused major reliability issues (fixed with 22H2). I have only ever had 2 issues with intel the first being the one you face and the second was the system crashing when it entered sleep mode (IME Driver bug). I have personally had several intel laptops that have all been fine and at the moment intel offers the best value for money compared to AMD as the 5th gen ryzen is very weak in perfomance and the 7th gen ryzen is too overpriced. I expect AMD will become better value again in a few years time but for now intel is the way to go.

39 minutes ago, H I said:

The memory usage is fine once you give it time to sort it's self out. I have had major issues with AMD in the past as well as intel. The first AMD laptop I had ran so hot the CPU de-soldered it's self, I had an FM2+ desktop which the CPU burnt out on so I replaced it and then the motherboard started smoldering and melting, my current desktop had issues when windows 11 first came out (ryzen 5 1600) which caused major reliability issues (fixed with 22H2). I have only ever had 2 issues with intel the first being the one you face and the second was the system crashing when it entered sleep mode (IME Driver bug). I have personally had several intel laptops that have all been fine and at the moment intel offers the best value for money compared to AMD as the 5th gen ryzen is very weak in perfomance and the 7th gen ryzen is too overpriced. I expect AMD will become better value again in a few years time but for now intel is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably upgrade in 2026 or so, let's see how AMD/Intel holds up til then. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2023 at 4:25 PM, 78372 said:

Thanks for the advice. I will probably upgrade in 2026 or so, let's see how AMD/Intel holds up til then. 

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery and doing the thermal paste. I did this on the laptop I have had the issues on and it seems to have made the performance much, much better. The laptop boots up in less than 3 seconds now and the thermal throttling issue is gone allowing it to reach the max clock of 2.56ghz when needed.

I don't know if it has solved the black screening howeve I can safely say that it is 100% fixed on the laptop I have had the issues with anyway, when the laptop is running LTSB 2016 with the driver I mentioned previously. 

FYI I tried Windows 12 (11 Canary builds) on this laptop and it would not boot so prehaps it would be a good idea to hold off upgrading until Windows 12 is offically anounced.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:20 PM, H I said:

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery and doing the thermal paste. I did this on the laptop I have had the issues on and it seems to have made the performance much, much better. The laptop boots up in less than 3 seconds now and the thermal throttling issue is gone allowing it to reach the max clock of 2.56ghz when needed.

I don't know if it has solved the black screening howeve I can safely say that it is 100% fixed on the laptop I have had the issues with anyway, when the laptop is running LTSB 2016 with the driver I mentioned previously. 

FYI I tried Windows 12 (11 Canary builds) on this laptop and it would not boot so prehaps it would be a good idea to hold off upgrading until Windows 12 is offically anounced.

I use a cooler with my laptop, so I don't have any throttling issues for now. However, I suppose that LTSB 2016 is much closer to older Windows versions like 8.1 than newer Windows 10, as one of the applications (KDE Connect) I want to use on Windows 10 that does not run on Windows 8.1, also does not work on LTSB 2016. I think that might be one reason there are no black screen issues on LTSB 2016. I am not upgrading the OS right now as I am not benefiting much from LTSB 2016. If I can run newer LTSC versions, I might consider upgrading.

Regarding Windows 11, I have tried 21H2 before, and that runs as well as Windows 10 (ofc, including the black screen issue). The 22H2 version, however, lags because of the visual effects I suppose. 

Here is an interesting thing, in VLC, if you change the output to Direct3D 9, that black screen issue does not happen without any performance decrease. The same goes for the ANGLE backend in chromium based browsers.

On 10/24/2023 at 5:24 PM, 78372 said:

Here is an interesting thing, in VLC, if you change the output to Direct3D 9, that black screen issue does not happen without any performance decrease. The same goes for the ANGLE backend in chromium based browsers.

Must be a dx12 issue then. Have you had issues with your wifi card, I think the one I have is fried as the internet has ramdomly become unstable. Unsure if the laptop has a blacklist on replacement cards or not as I have had issues with a HP laptop in the past that does.

17 hours ago, H I said:

Must be a dx12 issue then. Have you had issues with your wifi card, I think the one I have is fried as the internet has ramdomly become unstable. Unsure if the laptop has a blacklist on replacement cards or not as I have had issues with a HP laptop in the past that does.

No, but I had issues with Bluetooth, which uses the same card. When Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are connected at the same time, the Bluetooth device is randomly disconnected sometimes.

• 2 months later...

Regarding the black screen issue being a thing on other GPUs as well, I found a solution online that might just work.

Basically, there is a feature on newer versions of Windows called Multi-Plane Overlay that sometimes causes the flickering and black screen on all of the GPUs. The solution is to add this to the registry:

Edited by 78372

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2024 at 6:36 PM, 78372 said:

Did it really fix it?

On 10/30/2023 at 12:01 PM, 78372 said:

No, but I had issues with Bluetooth, which uses the same card. When Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are connected at the same time, the Bluetooth device is randomly disconnected sometimes.

I swapped the Wi-Fi card out from another laptop to see if it was more stable, I found that the connection was perfect when using a newer card. I have gotten Windows 11 working perfectly fine on this laptop now. Just got to order a new WiFi card and it will be good for a few more years.

Thanks soooo much for sharing the registry fix.