750W PSU vs 850W PSU...

handymanshandle

Which one would be better for a Ryzen 7 3800XT and RX 6700XT?

For this system, would the 750W be enough or would 850W be better?

(also in case anyone asks if the 850W would be of higher quality, let's assume they're both from Corsair's CXm line and the variation that's available for purchase this year.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

neither one of those parts even uses 750w of power

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

neither one of those parts even uses 750w of power

Well, the 550W EVGA G3 wasn't having a good time with those parts...

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

considering the unit was released 7 years ago and probably doesn't make 550w I would imagine so

24 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

For this system, would the 750W be enough or would 850W be better?

(also in case anyone asks if the 850W would be of higher quality, let's assume they're both from Corsair's CXm line and the variation that's available for purchase this year.)

750W would be more than enough for that system. Looking at around 225-250W for the 6700XT and another 100-125W for the Ryzen 3800XT.

The Corsair CXM isn't a high end unit, it's one of their budget oriented models. It'll work but if you're looking to buy a new PSU there's probably better stuff available. The RM750e is only $10 more.

15 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

EVGA G3 550W should be able to run the system. What problems are you having with it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

37 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Thats very odd. a 550W should be more then enough. What lead you to be confident its the PSU? 

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

EVGA G3 550W should be able to run the system. What problems are you having with it?

it's doing like a hard reset then reboot after about 10 minutes sometimes but it's gotten a few hours before and the PSU is acting like it's hitting its upper limit.

Like I said it was just for comparison purposes, it could be CXm or it could be EVGA G6, that's not really the point of the post.
It's strictly if 850W is a good idea or not, I lean towards it because the price difference on some models isn't that huge. 

29 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

it's doing like a hard reset then reboot after about 10 minutes sometimes but it's gotten a few hours before and the PSU is acting like it's hitting its upper limit.

Like I said it was just for comparison purposes, it could be CXm or it could be EVGA G6, that's not really the point of the post.
It's strictly if 850W is a good idea or not, I lean towards it because the price difference on some models isn't that huge. 

and I should add, it was fine in workload for more than a few hours but then I dunno it had one shut down and reset, then another within the 10 minute mark. So I just feel something's either wonky with the config that the PSU doesn't like or momentarily the current is tripping the PSU, or it's possible the PSU is dying but that seems hard to believe personally but it is possible.

I personally had somewhat made my mind up on going with an 850W EVGA G6 but I also have a brand new CX750m on hand that I could use, but I didn't want anyone trying to say "well the EVGA is better quality so go for that" because I already know it's better quality but I know the CXm will be just as safe even if it's semi and not as higher end as the EVGA is.

2 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

I personally had somewhat made my mind up on going with an 850W EVGA G6 but I also have a brand new CX750m on hand that I could use, but I didn't want anyone trying to say "well the EVGA is better quality so go for that" because I already know it's better quality but I know the CXm will be just as safe even if it's semi and not as higher end as the EVGA is.

Try with the CXM and see if it solves the issues you're having with the G3. If it solves the problem then you know it was a problem with the power supply, then you can choose to either keep using the CXM or buy the G6. If it doesn't solve the problem then you know not to buy the G6.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Try with the CXM and see if it solves the issues you're having with the G3. If it solves the problem then you know it was a problem with the power supply, then you can choose to either keep using the CXM or buy the G6. If it doesn't solve the problem then you know not to buy the G6.

I'll think about it tbh but I don't think it'd be anything but the PSU, so I dunno what it would achieve.

12 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I'll think about it tbh but I don't think it'd be anything but the PSU, so I dunno what it would achieve.

It would tell you if the problem actually is the PSU before going out and spending money on a PSU that wont solve anything. If you have the ability to check that it is the PSU before spending money, you should. 

PSU you have can be failing in two ways
12v rail no longer providing 12v, and when you pull a load you leave spec causing the crash (this can happen with age and caps failing)
or you are pulling so many watts you are tripping OCP

Thing is, your build should not be doing the later, and if it is you have a short somewhere in the system. 
Or its not the PSU at all that is causing the crashes, could be a corrupted ram stick, or motherboard might just have had static discharge is the the right area to cause issues. 

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

It would tell you if the problem actually is the PSU before going out and spending money on a PSU that wont solve anything. If you have the ability to check that it is the PSU before spending money, you should. 

PSU you have can be failing in two ways
12v rail no longer providing 12v, and when you pull a load you leave spec causing the crash (this can happen with age and caps failing)
or you are pulling so many watts you are tripping OCP

Thing is, your build should not be doing the later, and if it is you have a short somewhere in the system. 
Or its not the PSU at all that is causing the crashes, could be a corrupted ram stick, or motherboard might just have had static discharge is the the right area to cause issues. 

Well curiosity got to me and decided to put the CX750m in and I’m checking metrics of the CPU underload these match what it was requesting from the 550W G3 image.thumb.jpg.11f1a3f00ff81af9b559483dd1b65c40.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.42e673d1b3397994d7cbea806c569496.jpg

47 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Well curiosity got to me and decided to put the CX750m in and I’m checking metrics of the CPU underload these match what it was requesting from the 550W G3 image.thumb.jpg.11f1a3f00ff81af9b559483dd1b65c40.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.42e673d1b3397994d7cbea806c569496.jpg

So it still reset after about 30 minutes this time around, no load just general use. The sound it makes is as if you long pressed the power button or pressed the power switch on the back of the PSU

nothing obvious would be shorting out 

I don’t think it would be ram causing the issue. If it’s the motherboard… I don’t get why it would take 11 minutes then with a new PSU take 30 minutes to shutdown 

Some reviews say the B550 Phantom Gaming 4 has had issues similar to this