13900k XC7 block, water reservoir not going above 30C (9 fans, 3 rads)

Without really changing anything, I noticed that my water temps don't really increase much anymore when I am benchmarking.

I am suspecting one of my following components failing:

- XC7

- Kryonaut paste

- der8auer cpu contact frame

Unless I am missing something. The temperature sensor is pretty accurate.

Room temp: 21-22C

Water reservoir temp at idle: 25-26C

9 intake fans across 3 rads

CPU on cinebench will reach up to 310 watts x10 minutes with overclocking, but my water-reservoir will max out at 30C - is this heat uptake (increase in 5C) normal or should the water temp be getting much higher?

Thank you

Sounds about right,  Res should be the last part of the loop after the 3 rads, with a bit of Temp Equilibrium over that. Are CPU Temps Spiking to throttling? Cause thats normal on a 13900k, not much you can OC with them before you have to do a TON of voltage tuning. 

21 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Sounds about right,  Res should be the last part of the loop after the 3 rads, with a bit of Temp Equilibrium over that. Are CPU Temps Spiking to throttling? Cause thats normal on a 13900k, not much you can OC with them before you have to do a TON of voltage tuning. 

It's thermal throttling badly. my SP is 95 (I know, it could be better) on the z790 Asus ROG Hero.

The thermal trottle drops me from 5600MHz to 4900-5000 MHz. It sucks.

8 minutes ago, FUSER said:

It's thermal throttling badly. my SP is 95 (I know, it could be better) on the z790 Asus ROG Hero.

I mean what did you expect from a 13900k? None of the parts above are prone to failure for the most part. Its generally either the mounting pressure on the CPU isnt there, your specific motherboard isnt doing proper contact with the contact frame and the cooler (a lot of this stuff requires a bit of adjustment), or its the pump in the loop not doing enough.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

I mean what did you expect from a 13900k? None of the parts above are prone to failure for the most part. Its generally either the mounting pressure on the CPU isnt there, your specific motherboard isnt doing proper contact with the contact frame and the cooler (a lot of this stuff requires a bit of adjustment), or its the pump in the loop not doing enough.

THe weird thing is it was working fine until recently. pump runs at 4500rpm

13 minutes ago, FUSER said:

ASUS boards do put a ton of voltage into those chips at stock, you either need to undervolt it or manually overclock it (which would involve lowering the stock voltage). The board is a major factor in the CPU power consumption, I've used my 13700K (SP82 IIRC, though it's not like it matters for this point) on 3 different motherboard (Z690 Apex, Z690 Unify-X, and B660M-A Pro, it's a long story) and the power consumption at stock in R23 ranged from 230W (Unify) to 310W (B660M-A Pro), with the Apex being on the upper end of that spectrum (don't have exact numbers, didn't measure it like with the other board, just going from memory) and from what I've seen other top end ASUS boards being similar to that. 

A bad mount is technically possible, that sounds a bit worse than what I'd expect so it might be worse checking, but doing a bit of voltage tuning is a pretty good idea.  

8 minutes ago, FUSER said:

THe weird thing is it was working fine until recently. pump runs at 4500rpm

That makes it kinda sound like the block is getting clogged up. Assuming it's a clear top (IIRC all Corsair blocks are, though don't feel like double checking) look inside to see if there's any build up. 

4 hours ago, FUSER said:

- XC7

I have one of these. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it.

Switching back to a simple new-style EK Velocity block dropped temps by 8C and my 11700K has a lot more gentle spikes in heat instead of the sharp jabs it had with the XC7. Mine also got worse over time if I recall. 

Possibly not your main problem, but I can say it's likely a contributor.  Most of the Corsair stuff I've tested is fine. Their rads are solid, pumps are good, reservoirs are decent and fittings work great. Tubing and water blocks? Meh.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

i have the same cpu and nr of rads, i can tell u right now 30c max watertemp = not good contact 

my water is always hotter 

On 4/23/2023 at 9:30 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

ASUS boards do put a ton of voltage into those chips at stock, you either need to undervolt it or manually overclock it (which would involve lowering the stock voltage). The board is a major factor in the CPU power consumption, I've used my 13700K (SP82 IIRC, though it's not like it matters for this point) on 3 different motherboard (Z690 Apex, Z690 Unify-X, and B660M-A Pro, it's a long story) and the power consumption at stock in R23 ranged from 230W (Unify) to 310W (B660M-A Pro), with the Apex being on the upper end of that spectrum (don't have exact numbers, didn't measure it like with the other board, just going from memory) and from what I've seen other top end ASUS boards being similar to that. 

A bad mount is technically possible, that sounds a bit worse than what I'd expect so it might be worse checking, but doing a bit of voltage tuning is a pretty good idea.  

That makes it kinda sound like the block is getting clogged up. Assuming it's a clear top (IIRC all Corsair blocks are, though don't feel like double checking) look inside to see if there's any build up. 

I checked the block with white lights, I didn’t see anything trapped there..

i also noticed that the P7 temp sensor is not appearing anymore in hwinfo64.

i really tried and got 38300 on cb23 with an SP score of 95 (without thermal throttling and keeping temps<100). Any chance this was shortlived and now i have a screwed up VF curve? I just can’t overclock above 5.5ghz (even single core) anymore without requiring 1.6v vcores…

2 hours ago, FUSER said:

I checked the block with white lights, I didn’t see anything trapped there..

i also noticed that the P7 temp sensor is not appearing anymore in hwinfo64.

i really tried and got 38300 on cb23 with an SP score of 95 (without thermal throttling and keeping temps<100). Any chance this was shortlived and now i have a screwed up VF curve? I just can’t overclock above 5.5ghz (even single core) anymore without requiring 1.6v vcores…

" i really tried " what u mean by that? 😛

28 minutes ago, NorKris said:

" i really tried " what u mean by that? 😛

Max vcore 1.6 with acc 1.3 and dcc 1.03, turboboost velocity +2 profile , all core usage no lower than 5500mhz. Max consumption 330watt. Was this too much for an asus SP score of 95?

34 minutes ago, FUSER said:

Max vcore 1.6 with acc 1.3 and dcc 1.03, turboboost velocity +2 profile , all core usage no lower than 5500mhz. Max consumption 330watt. Was this too much for an asus SP score of 95?

when u have bad temps, u have 2 options, fix the mound or HW releted problem or do downvolt or even downclock. 

i would go for the HW stuff first, i dont pay for custom WC for 38k in cine xD 

4 hours ago, NorKris said:

when u have bad temps, u have 2 options, fix the mound or HW releted problem or do downvolt or even downclock. 

i would go for the HW stuff first, i dont pay for custom WC for 38k in cine xD 

The question would be, with an I913900K with adequate custom cooling, and an Asus SP score of 95, What should be the expected minimum cbr23 score if you could maximize its overclock?

54 minutes ago, FUSER said:

The question would be, with an I913900K with adequate custom cooling, and an Asus SP score of 95, What should be the expected minimum cbr23 score if you could maximize its overclock?

well. with a max WaterTemp of 30, i dont think u remove so much heat u could, i have more rads than u, same cpu and my WT is minimum 32c  up to 38c 

but again u have not said anything about fan speed 

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

well. with a max WaterTemp of 30, i dont think u remove so much heat u could, i have more rads than u, same cpu and my WT is minimum 32c  up to 38c 

but again u have not said anything about fan speed 

I've got 9x SP140s running fullspeed across 3 rads (1200rpm)