How to get all the files except the windows install off your drive?

kapa12

I am about to upgrade my PC and I was wondering if there was a way to get all my files except the windows install of my disk and transfer them to a new one?

just move the drive to the new pc and then clone it to a new drive. once done everything you have right now is transferred including your OS.

then remove the drive and select that new drive as boot drive and your good to go.

What type of disk? Hard disk or SSD? If the latter, a SATA to USB cable and simply copy across the files and folders you want to the new disk.

It is possible to get a HD box with power supply and USB cable and do it for a HD.

Doing it that way means absolutely no question about what is where and the old disk is backup to be put on a high shelf or a filing cabinet.

On 4/23/2023 at 12:14 AM, kapa12 said:

But I dont want this old windows instal I want to get rid of it.

If you don't have a spare sata cable in your new build, then get an adapter like this one.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/ADPUNI1039/Unitek-Y-1039-USB-30-to-SATA-6G-Converter-Super-Sp

It sounds like you don't know much about computers.

1. Install OS on brand spanking new drive
  2. Update it
  3. Shut down PC, then attach cables for the old drive
  4. Boot up, but make sure to select the correct drive, if you didn't, simply restart and change your selection.
  5. Now just open file explorer and move all relevant files over. You may want to transfer files from %appdata% as well.