Did I made a mistake in purchasing atx 2.0 psu in 2022?

Anjani

I purchased msi psu 850w.. It was gold psu and has excellent reviews.. Knowing that atx 3.0 psu is around the corner. Did i made a mistake in purchasing atx 2.0 psu. Msi one which I bought came with 10year warranty. I want this psu to last for 7-8 year.. Will it become obsolete? Do futruee gpus going to consume more than 600 w of gpu power?

7 minutes ago, Anjani said:

I purchased msi psu 850w.. It was gold psu and has excellent reviews.. Knowing that atx 3.0 psu is around the corner. Did i made a mistake in purchasing atx 2.0 psu. Msi one which I bought came with 10year warranty. I want this psu to last for 7-8 year.. Will it become obsolete? Do futruee gpus going to consume more than 600 w of gpu power?

I highly doubt future GPU's will consume 600w ( Maybe the highest xx90 or XTX card. But you can run a 4090 on a 850w anyways. ( Just not in 600w mode )  You dont need to buy the highest of the highest I guess. The RTX 4080 consumed 320w max.  Your PSU will not be obsolete... I am fine with my Rm750i I bought in 2019 on my overclocked 4080.

14 minutes ago, Anjani said:

If you actually bought an ATX 2.0 spec power supply then that would have been a mistake. ATX 2.0 power supplies came out 20 years ago and there have been multiple revisions to the ATX spec since then. Though I'm assuming you're just referring to any power supply that isn't 3.0 as being 2.0. (Jayz2cents viewer?)

Your power supply is probably compliant with ATX 2.51 or 2.53. Maybe 2.4 if it's an older model but I don't think MSI has any older power supplies - they're fairly new to power supplies. You didn't give the model of power supply so I can't tell you which ATX revision it's conforming to. The PSU manual might list it.

To answer your question; no you're probably not missing much by not having an ATX 3.0 power supply. I'm sure your power supply will last you many more years.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you actually bought an ATX 2.0 spec power supply then that would have been a mistake. ATX 2.0 power supplies came out 20 years ago and there have been multiple revisions to the ATX spec since then. Though I'm assuming you're just referring to any power supply that isn't 3.0 as being 2.0. (Jayz2cents viewer?)

Your power supply is probably compliant with ATX 2.51 or 2.53. Maybe 2.4 if it's an older model but I don't think MSI has any older power supplies - they're fairly new to power supplies. You didn't give the model of power supply so I can't tell you which ATX revision it's conforming to. The PSU manual might list it.

To answer your question; no you're probably not missing much by not having an ATX 3.0 power supply. I'm sure your power supply will last you many more years.

Msi mpg a850gf.. I think it is atx 2.3.. It is just a guess 

4 minutes ago, Anjani said:

Msi mpg a850gf.. I think it is atx 2.3.. It is just a guess 

Judging by when it was released it'll be ATX 2.4. MSI doesn't list what revision it is on their website.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Judging by when it was released it'll be ATX 2.4. MSI doesn't list what revision it is on their website.

Judging by the release date.. I don't think atx 3.0 will going to be relevant in next 7-8 years... Btw is there any way I check atx 2.0.. Versions..? Mobo is msi b560m bazooka 

Edited by Anjani