US Homeland security chief announces artificial intelligence task force

Remixt

Summary

The sudden popularity of OpenAI's ChatGPT has prompted global officials to explore ways to use AI for good, while preventing its misuse for disinformation and criminal activity. Mayorkas announced the formation of an Artificial Intelligence Task Force to responsibly utilize AI for homeland security, including applications like cargo screening and protection of electric grids and water supply systems.

Quotes

Mayorkas said the Artificial Intelligence Task Force would also explore how AI could be used to do a better job of doing work like screening cargo coming into the country for illicit goods, like fentanyl or products made with slave labor.

My thoughts

I think its good that officials are considering the implications of having generally accessible AI tools this early, hopefully it turns into something good and not another over-reach by Government agencies. (IE ignoring privacy of citizens)

Sources

US Homeland security chief announces artificial intelligence task force - The Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Not really a fan, this seems like it's going to be half-done, and poorly. When talking about National Security and peoples literal lives at stake, I would want a human that can adjust to situations, and be capable of admitting error.

50 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Not really a fan, this seems like it's going to be half-done, and poorly. When talking about National Security and peoples literal lives at stake, I would want a human that can adjust to situations, and be capable of admitting error.

I feel like you are overestimating human intelligence to assume we could do a better job than an AI that the goverment has issued the go ahead to be used. Also it didn't really say if it would replace the human element. I would imagine it would be used as a tool rather than a replacement. 

53 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

While I don't know precisely how they're using it, when you're talking about things like cargo containers entering the country, it's a monumental (ie impossible) task, and I'd suspect AI will go a long way to helping monitor things that would have otherwise not been monitored at all. There's only so much man power to go around.

1 hour ago, Holmes108 said:

While I don't know precisely how they're using it, when you're talking about things like cargo containers entering the country, it's a monumental (ie impossible) task, and I'd suspect AI will go a long way to helping monitor things that would have otherwise not been monitored at all. There's only so much man power to go around.

That was my first thought as well. Unfortunately at a large enough scale it becomes impossible to get somethings done simply because there isn't enough manpower to realistically get it done. I would imagine that not everything is being checked currently by hand or it's cursory and not thorough at all. I mean imagine if at the airport they didn't use xray machines to scan people's bags but instead hand searched everything? That would be impractical and likely miss more than what can be found via machines scan. 

O boy o boy, the age of AI has begun.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |