Bob__
Just now, Bob__ said:

I think that 100b is 462 gb of ram

got it on my HDD but its slow af took like 3 days

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

7 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

got it on my HDD but its slow af took like 3 days

At that small size it is doable in ram with a sufficient server setup, that what you're going for? Thought it might be above that level. In the past I had thought about doing something like a raid 0 of "lots" of HDs to see how that would work out. SSDs would probably die in this use case.

Edit: presuming Y-cruncher. It has its own file management so it isn't hardware or OS raid 0, but equivalent to.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

31 minutes ago, porina said:

At that small size it is doable in ram with a sufficient server setup, that what you're going for? Thought it might be above that level. In the past I had thought about doing something like a raid 0 of "lots" of HDs to see how that would work out. SSDs would probably die in this use case.

Edit: presuming Y-cruncher. It has its own file management so it isn't hardware or OS raid 0, but equivalent to.

I can add my own storage of upto 50tb for pretty cheap just looking for the CPU/RAM also im trya get as high as possible

3 hours ago, Bob__ said:

Why not

Because you'll just burn time, money, and electricity retreading something that's been done many, many times before.

At least lie to us and say you're going to build a lab around Proxmox. 😛 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Because you'll just burn time, money, and electricity retreading something that's been done many, many times before.

At least lie to us and say you're going to build a lab around Proxmox. 😛 

Now I found a new use for my home lab...

In serious context, at least it would be a good thing to convert into a home lab. That eypc setup would run a lot of VMs.

10 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

its a Haswell era server, the only scam is that it costs too much. 

I have newer servers with almost as much ram that were free.

10 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

it’s pretty old hardware, I would pay maybe $200-250 for it but that’s all.

10 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Loud.

Those are $17 processors, and they're probably loading up with DDR4 2133 DIMMs. They're probably not that far off, but you can probably scrounge parts together and upgrade a PowerEdge or Proliant to comparable spec for less money.

is this any better image.thumb.png.8e25cd75f2984c108505f6fc333d4c71.png

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Spending $700 on ram just to calculate pi seems exceedingly foolish in my opinion.

imma use it for other things and also y not

2 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

imma use it for other things and also y not

Because 700 can get you started on a really nice much more modern system that would destroy old xeons in compute tasks.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Because 700 can get you started on a really nice much more modern system that would destroy old xeons in compute tasks.

but not with this amount of ram

1 hour ago, Bob__ said:

But… nothing needs that amount of RAM. Nothing anyone at home is typically doing. 

To just about everyone reading this, it makes no sense at all. You are just spending money to spend money. But that’s what hobbies are. If this is something you are actually serious about, and it’s not just a 1 time thing for lolz, ya sure. Whatever. I, and many, spend way more on our hobbies. But I’d argue at least my hobbies have practical purposes,

calculating Pi to a lot less amount of digits then has been done previously just to say you did it seems sorta pointless, but again, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You do you. But don’t be surprised when everyone tells you it makes no sense. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, Bob__ said:

Ligistix sums it up perfectly. This is a large waste of ram. Google pi, I am sure that you can find out pi to a zillion digits without spending $700 on ram. I mean, after you do it once, what do you plan on doing with the server? Run it a second time?

you don’t need that much ram lmfao, you need CPU. build a 7950x or Threadripper system with 64gb of ram.

6 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

you don’t need that much ram lmfao, you need CPU. build a 7950x or Threadripper system with 64gb of ram.

I cant get that for like sub 1000

5 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

I cant get that for like sub 1000

so you’re gonna spend $1000 on crap instead of $1500 or $2500 on a decent workstation? doesn’t seem like a great idea.

here’s a list that’s actually good (you don’t need a GPU, you can use the iGPU) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKp3rD

2 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

so you’re gonna spend $1000 on crap instead of $1500 or $2500 on a decent workstation? doesn’t seem like a great idea.

here’s a list that’s actually good (you don’t need a GPU, you can use the iGPU) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKp3rD

comparatively I get more cores and although they are slightly slower I can OC them and also i get more RAM

6 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

comparatively I get more cores and although they are slightly slower I can OC them and also i get more RAM

they’re not slightly slower. They are slower to the point where you could compare the 7950x to a fighter jet and the CPUs you want to a rusty bike that barely works.

And you don’t need that ram, you won’t use it. That ram is slow and useless.

honestly this kinda reads like a troll post, just the amount to which you are uninformed about how this stuff works. If you want to do something research it and listen to more informed opinions.

Just now, NF-A12x25 said:

And you don’t need that ram, you won’t use it. That ram is slow and useless.

I can guarantee you that I will

1 minute ago, NF-A12x25 said:

they’re not slightly slower. They are slower to the point where you could compare the 7950x to a fighter jet and the CPUs you want to a rusty bike that barely works.

Not really and I have 2 of them unlike the ryzen where I would have oneimage.thumb.png.a58499eff2f7c380a2b6b8986d060992.png

3 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

I can guarantee you that I will

not for pi, and not for much else either. 

3 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Not really and I have 2 of them unlike the ryzen where I would have one

yes really. The benchmark you showed proves me right. 

if you don’t wanna spend the money on a 7950x, buy a used 5950x and a b550 motherboard- but you’ll need a GPU because the 5950x doesn’t have an iGPU. It’s still MASSIVELY faster than even 2 2699v3’s working in parallel

Just now, NF-A12x25 said:

yes really. The benchmark you showed proves me right. 

for half the price im getting more than half the price

1 minute ago, NF-A12x25 said:

because you need to store billions of digits to sum at the end yes I need a lot of ram because its slow AF to store it on a hard drive 

Just now, Bob__ said:

for half the price im getting more than half the price

No, you aren’t. The Passmark score is not the whole picture. You are getting a WAY worse CPU. 

Just now, Bob__ said:

because you need to store billions of digits to sum at the end yes I need a lot of ram because its slow AF to store it on a hard drive 

not to mention degrading a HDD

Just now, Bob__ said:

it’s not slow asf to store it on an SSD. You do not need that much ram for storing pi.

Just now, Bob__ said:

not to mention degrading a HDD

HDDs don’t degrade from writes, and the kind of data you’re creating can easily be stored on an HDD