How would this be for PI compute

Bob__
Just now, NF-A12x25 said:

No, you aren’t. The Passmark score is not the whole picture. You are getting a WAY worse CPU. 

maybe maybe not but still doesnt change the ram thing

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

1 minute ago, NF-A12x25 said:

HDDs don’t degrade from writes, and the kind of data you’re creating can easily be stored on an HDD

if something is spinning thousands of RPM for days yes it will degrade quite fast

3 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

it’s not slow asf to store it on an SSD. You do not need that much ram for storing pi.

It really is super slow. Ram is theoretically 160x faster

2 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

maybe maybe not but still doesnt change the ram thing

The ram is useless, you do not need and will not use it. 64gb is still a huge amount of ram. 512 gb is utterly useless for what you want to do.

1 minute ago, Bob__ said:

if something is spinning thousands of RPM for days yes it will degrade quite fast

That’s not how it works LMFAO please learn a single thing about computers i beg you

1 minute ago, Bob__ said:

It really is super slow. Ram is theoretically 160x faster

it is faster but you don’t need the speed, jesus christ this is like talking to a rock

imagine you spend $20K upgrading your car’s wheels but leave the engine alone. It won’t go faster.

it is faster but you don’t need the speed

It really does make a difference

The ram is useless, you do not need and will not use it. 64gb is still a huge amount of ram. 512 gb is utterly useless for what you want to do.

I told you I will use it all and whenever I get the system I have no problems sending you the completely used memory

That’s not how it works LMFAO please learn a single thing about computers i beg you

Its a hard drive running for weeks straight no its not good for the damn thing 

23 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Hard drives are designed to run 24/7 for years.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

27 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

It really does make a difference

I told you I will use it all and whenever I get the system I have no problems sending you the completely used memory

Are you doing this because of the storagereview.com post? They literally just broke the 100 trillion record. Look at their pc and then look at what you spec'd out... You'll be lucky to get 100 million in the same amount of time (assuming that your build doesn't crash in the 50 day runtime)

47 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Harddrives in my homelab have been spinning, every minute, or every day, for 6 years straight….

Harddrives are literally designed to always be spinning. Stoping and stating them is higher wear then letting them spin. 

I know nothing about calculating pi, but it would also appear that you have not really done correct research into this either.

I also don’t understand why an SSD wouldn’t be ok? Your writing out Pi once, so if you use a SSD your going to write until it can’t hold any more digits? So it would write the entire drive over 1 time (or until the CPU/software gives up) I assume? A full write of an SSD isn’t going to kill it. Doing that every day for years will, but doing it a few times is nothing. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

48 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Are you doing this because of the storagereview.com post? They literally just broke the 100 trillion record. Look at their pc and then look at what you spec'd out... You'll be lucky to get 100 million in the same amount of time (assuming that your build doesn't crash in the 50 day runtime)

I got 100 billion hardware in like 3 days on like shit hardware also no i didnt see that post

29 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I also don’t understand why an SSD wouldn’t be ok? Your writing out Pi once, so if you use a SSD your going to write until it can’t hold any more digits? So it would write the entire drive over 1 time (or until the CPU/software gives up) I assume? A full write of an SSD isn’t going to kill it. Doing that every day for years will, but doing it a few times is nothing. 

I understand but its also really slow and for the price the computer isnt bad

31 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Harddrives in my homelab have been spinning, every minute, or every day, for 6 years straight….

Ig maybe ill think about it for now but another problem is the HDD's are slow AF

5 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

I understand but its also really slow and for the price the computer isnt bad

the computer is awful for the price

5 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

the HDD's are slow AF

you don’t need speed for what you’re doing

4 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

the computer is awful for the price

How so find me something of equal ram and CPU power for the same price

4 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

you don’t need speed for what you’re doing

It really does matter there is a reason that computers have ram its a lot faster making applications run faster

2 hours ago, Bob__ said:

It really does matter there is a reason that computers have ram its a lot faster making applications run faster

jesus christ. yeah, it matters when you have programs using ram that need the speed. but this does not. Please read a book.

2 hours ago, Bob__ said:

How so find me something of equal ram and CPU power for the same price

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YRDztn

here’s the least awful config I can build for a similar price with a 5950x, or swap it for b650 and 7950x and remove the GPU. It’ll be faster in every way than that dell shitbox. You could build with a lower power CPU too, and save money, like a 5700x or r7 7700. You could get it to the point where it costs the same as the xeon rig and is almost twice as fast.

3 hours ago, Bob__ said:

Let’s take a step back. I don’t know how this software works, so this is a good way for you to be forced to explain it. 

What are the requirements for a PC to calculate Pi? Be specific, give detail, explain why you need lots of cores, and why you need lots of RAM. Step through the requirements, don’t say things like “more RAM makes things more faster”. I don’t know how this works, so I am legitimately asking how it works, once I and others understand the requirements better we can help point you to the right solution. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Let’s take a step back. I don’t know how this software works, so this is a good way for you to be forced to explain it. 

What are the requirements for a PC to calculate Pi? Be specific, give detail, explain why you need lots of cores, and why you need lots of RAM. Step through the requirements, don’t say things like “more RAM makes things more faster”. I don’t know how this works, so I am legitimately asking how it works, once I and others understand the requirements better we can help point you to the right solution. 

This is an interesting read about the current 100 trillion record holder...

https://www.storagereview.com/review/storagereview-calculated-100-trillion-digits-of-pi-in-54-days-besting-google-cloud

6 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

It uses a shitton of ram/storage because it saves billions or trillions of digits to sum together at the end. Having more ram speeds up the process because when gathering the digits to sum them it goes a hell of a lot faster and also saving the digits also gets sped up. The CPU's are for math (division, Inverse square roots, multiplication, etc.) that could probably be done on a normal processor but it would need to be very high end, but those processors dont support the amount of RAM I want

6 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Theoretically would it be possible to run it on a storage server because they have quite beefy CPU's a lot of ram and storage and are quite cheap

something like this 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185826952672?epid=10022371474&hash=item2b442645e0:g:-5gAAOSw9Z5kHaNK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175663306773?hash=item28e6595815:g:Mv8AAOSwTBVkHa1z&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8Es%2Fe8ZUs%2BZZmveJIdsmGXry3rzubjEpH5pjBkIQWwCsqSMXNeHypFErprx0HMkyhaV9qmGWGlesTv4O8hEBRoK8WRRN8wdZ8Yz9TDRoXvwkoGTS5rPq0S2uwY3cm%2BKSBjc03c0cbLLLMrX6ejZU6B2V6DRDv84ZoHjkJTutSyzYN5W8CuNDThFzQy7W3Ors%2Fl7xyME6%2FINyBdDIGAo9cysQdXkH0W5Rr0NN6L6R9brmZGxpjrBBUHPt%2FZL5B1CxhXp%2FRh8lxuy3ISB0eew%2BtQHm4XI5NxDKylBoQxvl45mXCKYPttOLuZvje4uiTA1wHA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM6oWdgvRh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145035872246?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20221102144121%26meid%3De1dcba8d943f440e8511a95a4a54a21d%26pid%3D101260%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D145035872246%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DPersonalizedTopicsV2WithWatchlistFeaturesAndTopicMLR%26brand%3DSupermicro&_trksid=p2380057.c101260.m47269&_trkparms=pageci%3Af869710a-df9e-11ed-8ab6-76018a491db4|parentrq%3A9faa1bbd1870a64d87f037d7fffd37aa|iid%3A3

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

This is an interesting read about the current 100 trillion record holder...

https://www.storagereview.com/review/storagereview-calculated-100-trillion-digits-of-pi-in-54-days-besting-google-cloud

That’s a great read. Thanks! 

@Bob__ After you do it once, what are your plans for the server and all of the ram and storage? This seems like a one time thing, and you surely will not be getting anywhere in the realm of top scores. To everyone outside of you, it just seems like a realy foolish way to spend money. The ram has very little use in this quantity after you have had your fun. Same with the storage that you will need (that you haven't talked about - Though storage has much more use...)

19 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

they’re not slightly slower. They are slower to the point where you could compare the 7950x to a fighter jet and the CPUs you want to a rusty bike that barely works.

And you don’t need that ram, you won’t use it. That ram is slow and useless.

honestly this kinda reads like a troll post, just the amount to which you are uninformed about how this stuff works. If you want to do something research it and listen to more informed opinions.

You fail to understand OP's use case. A lot of ram and IO is good. CPU is a very distant factor until the first two are sorted. Using your comparison, you're suggesting they use a fighter jet to move a train load of people across country. It'll do it, but the cost efficiency would stink.

19 hours ago, Bob__ said:

not to mention degrading a HDD

Degrading HDs is way cheaper than degrading SSDs. You're going to be doing a lot of writes if you go ahead. Spread the load across a bunch of HDs and the transfer rates will be acceptable. The software is good at latency masking so don't worry about response time. Don't bother thinking of tiered storage as the data set is so big caches wont be effective.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

You fail to understand OP's use case. A lot of ram and IO is good. CPU is a very distant factor until the first two are sorted. Using your comparison, you're suggesting they use a fighter jet to move a train load of people across country. It'll do it, but the cost efficiency would stink.

Degrading HDs is way cheaper than degrading SSDs. You're going to be doing a lot of writes if you go ahead. Spread the load across a bunch of HDs and the transfer rates will be acceptable. The software is good at latency masking so don't worry about response time. Don't bother thinking of tiered storage as the data set is so big caches wont be effective.

Yeah ok thanks

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

@Bob__ After you do it once, what are your plans for the server and all of the ram and storage? This seems like a one time thing, and you surely will not be getting anywhere in the realm of top scores. To everyone outside of you, it just seems like a realy foolish way to spend money. The ram has very little use in this quantity after you have had your fun. Same with the storage that you will need (that you haven't talked about - Though storage has much more use...)

I dont really know could turn it into a server to host games. Do some productivity work, cad general things with it and quite possibly Im going to screw with it a lot 

1 hour ago, Bob__ said:

Yeah ok thanks

I dont really know could turn it into a server to host games. Do some productivity work, cad general things with it and quite possibly Im going to screw with it a lot 

It would be a pretty weak game server. They tend to favor minimal core count but major single core speed. The exact opposite of a general server cpu.