How to test MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X Trio for defect?

daim2604
Go to solution Solved by daim2604,

found the culprit, I have to remove my GPU screw. my casing has dent on the place where we put screw for the GPU. 

The screw hole on the graphic card is not align with the one on my casing, I have to force to screw it, which might have made my GPU to lose contact with GPU slot.. so I undo the screw, test again on both games, and it works, no more crash, put my setting on ultra and enable ray tracing, game not crashing anymore.

Time to find new casing too..

Thanks a lot guys.. sorry for the trouble!

18 hours ago, PDifolco said:

What was your previous GPU ? If not AMD then DDU old drivers and reinstall latest Adrenalin

Run OCCT to test the GPU then

Thanks a lot for suggesting OCCT, I still need to check my GPU if its defect or not.. will give it a try.

Hi,

I recently bought a used msi rx 6800xt gaming x trio gpu.

How do I test for defect? 

Firstly, my cpu is very much bottlenecking. 

I have an i7-3770, planning to upgrade soon, decide to get gpu first.

But, is bottlenecking supposed to be crashing game?

with time spy i got around 16k score for gpu.

I tested this gpu with The Witcher 3, i can set the setting on ultra and i can get 50 - 60+ fps.

But when I turn on ray tracing, the game crash.

I tested the game on Hogwart Legacy, after i load my game, the game just freeze then close itself and i can see the message out of video memory..

Is bottlenecking supposed to do that or is my gpu defect? or is it because of my psu not good enough?

What kind of test can i do to check for defect? 

my spec: i7 3770

ram 16GB

GPU : msi rx 6800xt gaming x trio

PSU : Cooler Master 750W Bronze PSU

Thanks in advance

32 minutes ago, daim2604 said:

Hi,

I recently bought a used msi rx 6800xt gaming x trio gpu.

How do I test for defect? 

Firstly, my cpu is very much bottlenecking. 

I have an i7-3770, planning to upgrade soon, decide to get gpu first.

But, is bottlenecking supposed to be crashing game?

with time spy i got around 16k score for gpu.

I tested this gpu with The Witcher 3, i can set the setting on ultra and i can get 50 - 60+ fps.

But when I turn on ray tracing, the game crash.

I tested the game on Hogwart Legacy, after i load my game, the game just freeze then close itself and i can see the message out of video memory..

Is bottlenecking supposed to do that or is my gpu defect? or is it because of my psu not good enough?

What kind of test can i do to check for defect? 

my spec: i7 3770

ram 16GB

GPU : msi rx 6800xt gaming x trio

PSU : Cooler Master 750W Bronze PSU

Thanks in advance

What was your previous GPU ? If not AMD then DDU old drivers and reinstall latest Adrenalin

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

53 minutes ago, daim2604 said:

prob bottlenecking bcs you have baller gpu and only 3rd gen intel core

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

the cpu is constraining your gpu

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

56 minutes ago, spaghet rat said:

prob bottlenecking bcs you have baller gpu and only 3rd gen intel core

Shouldn't crash though...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

found the culprit, I have to remove my GPU screw. my casing has dent on the place where we put screw for the GPU. 

The screw hole on the graphic card is not align with the one on my casing, I have to force to screw it, which might have made my GPU to lose contact with GPU slot.. so I undo the screw, test again on both games, and it works, no more crash, put my setting on ultra and enable ray tracing, game not crashing anymore.

Time to find new casing too..

Thanks a lot guys.. sorry for the trouble!

18 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Thanks a lot for suggesting OCCT, I still need to check my GPU if its defect or not.. will give it a try.