Need some tips for using bookshelf speakers on a PC

handymanshandle

So here's the deal, I have these Sony SS-U21 bookshelf speakers, and I want to use them with my PC (ideally through a built in headphone passthrough on a monitor using HDMI or DP to pass audio) I'm just not sure what the most compact and cost effective solution is for achieving this because I don't really want to spend more than US$100-$200 on a solution, unless it would be absolutely necessary to go more expensive... 

Hopefully you guys can point me to the type of thing I'd need and what would be the best for the money, thanks!

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

They're just passive, relatively low power speakers, so a stereo "mini amplifier" like this should be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Kinter-K3118-Instruments-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B0787BRQ2F

About 10 years ago i build a "portable" Bluetooth speaker with a very similar Kinter AMP and it worked very fine, it well enough power to overshadow even the biggest portable speaker at the time... while also draining the motorcycle battery i used to power it within about 2 hours when on full blast....

So if you didn't figure it out already from the answers  above, you need an audio amplifier that can drive 8 ohm impedance speakers (this is pretty common, most do) and some amount of watts... the speakers are "up to" 40 watts,  but you'll find even 5-10w to be more than enough for a room, so no need to look for exactly 40w, or to look for some 500w-1000w audio amplifier.

You got OK recommendations, though keep in mind both have super inflated values for wattage. For example, the Kinter amplifier linked above MAY do 20w per channel, but not with the 12v power supply that comes with it. 

The chip used inside is a TPA3118 from TI is a stereo amplifier which can work either as 2 audio channels, or the two audio channels can be converted into a single stronger output (BTL mode).

In this BTL mode, the datasheet shows how much audio power the chip can do with various input voltages and you have a graph for 8 ohm speakers or 4 ohm speakers, here's the 8 ohm graph  - so as you can see, with 12v input voltage, you'd have a bit less than 8 watts in BTL mode. If the device doesn't use 2 audio amplifier chips, one chip  for each channel, then you'd be looking at under 5w per channel with a 12v input power supply.   But like I said, even 5w is plenty for a house room, it's loud enough. 

image.png.358b7504c03ecedaf31169215c49472a.png

The second link uses a different chip, MA12070  from Infineon, but it's pretty much same story, only it's a quad channel chip, so most likely they configured it in 2 channel btl mode ...  you can see the graphs on page 41 in datasheet : https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-MA12070-DS-v01_00-EN.pdf

Again, doesn't matter, even 5w with a 12v power supply is plenty.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:18 AM, Needfuldoer said:

They're just passive, relatively low power speakers, so a stereo "mini amplifier" like this should be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Kinter-K3118-Instruments-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B0787BRQ2F

If you go with a mini amp like this, please spend at least $40 on it. I have the cheapo Kinter $19 amp and it has uneven channels at low volume and distortion at high volume. Other brands make the same basic board design, but at different price points for different quality and wattage. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain