Best thermal paste for laptop

ILI-BIG

Hi everyone. I recently upgraded my laptop's CPU T6400 to X9100. But it overheats. It reaches 95⁰C at gaming. I m using 1.63w/m-k thermal paste. I found Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for laptop. Will it cool down?

9 minutes ago, ILI-BIG said:

Hi everyone. I recently upgraded my laptop's CPU T6400 to X9100. But it overheats. It reaches 95⁰C at gaming. I m using 1.63w/m-k thermal paste. I found Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for laptop. Will it cool down?

It will probably lower temps 2-3 degrees perhaps. But hard to predict how much exactly, probably not enough though. Actually it might not do much at all, since some laptops just have a low capability to cool components, as they have small heatsinks anyway, but the Thermal Grizzly paste would do no harm.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, ILI-BIG said:

buy some liquid metal also im intrested what laptop allows you to change the CPU

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

4 minutes ago, ILI-BIG said:

Thermal Grizzly is the "BEST" Thermal Paste on the market. Just be sure that you don't use the Hydronaut variant, it's meant for Liquid Cooling.

Also I recommend a Laptop Cooling Pad, Link and pic below...

Laptop Cooling Pad

0918zyUd3EsL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ce8b25881ba3b107ddee81c429b779b1.jpg081dovyWpWTL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.d83cf9548f6decc5bd9f3cb40e1390ba.jpg

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

3 minutes ago, ILI-BIG said:

if the cooler in the laptop isn't made for the cpu you installed then i imagine no it won't

3 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

buy some liquid metal also im intrested what laptop allows you to change the CPU

Liquid metal is risky.

Just now, ILI-BIG said:

Liquid metal is risky.

says the man that swapped a laptop CPU

49 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

says the man that swapped a laptop CPU

Those are ancient chips, which are PGA. They are no harder to swap than desktop parts - often the chassis is even just as easy to enter, because laptop makers back then didn't use glue for everything.

---

Also, @ILI-BIG, I second the recommendation of a laptop cooling pad, but I'll give a much cheaper recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Cooling-KeiBn-10-15-6-S039/dp/B0B5QT3197

I've been using that for my work laptop, and it's surprisingly good for the money. Since you're using such old hardware, I figured you might be interested in saving a buck there.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Those are ancient chips, which are PGA. They are no harder to swap than desktop parts - often the chassis is even just as easy to enter, because laptop makers back then didn't use glue for everything.

Oh had no idea

6 hours ago, Bob__ said:

buy some liquid metal

"And then itll die" -Linus G. Sebastian

Anything you had would be it if it hadnt fall off into dissolution, or the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut if you really wanna splurge. NT-H2, MX6, and Arctic Silver 5 is good shout too. But yeah, @PC HEROES got the good point there, the issue of laptop cooling is the gap between the laptop fan intake and the ground. Raising it up would help a lot in temps, but it doesnt have to be a laptop cooling pad, a laptop stand would fall cheaper in most cases. 

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Thermalright TFX is very good, has plenty of good reviews from laptop  users. It is a bit thick, so no pump out worries.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2023 at 7:57 PM, Tan3l6 said:

It will probably lower temps 2-3 degrees perhaps. But hard to predict how much exactly, probably not enough though. Actually it might not do much at all, since some laptops just have a low capability to cool components, as they have small heatsinks anyway, but the Thermal Grizzly paste would do no harm.

I repasted CPU with Hydronaut. It lowered temperature about 25-30 degree and CPU heats slowly.

1 hour ago, ILI-BIG said:

I repasted CPU with Hydronaut. It lowered temperature about 25-30 degree and CPU heats slowly.

Yeah, 1.63 W/mK is quite bad for any thermal paste, yet perhaps there was not enough of it before. Because 30C difference would be when comparing a good thermal paste to a toothpaste.

Anyway, good to let us know!

I edit my posts more often than not

• 10 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, PC HEROES said:

Thermal Grizzly is the "BEST" Thermal Paste on the market. Just be sure that you don't use the Hydronaut variant, it's meant for Liquid Cooling.

Also I recommend a Laptop Cooling Pad, Link and pic below...

Laptop Cooling Pad

0918zyUd3EsL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ce8b25881ba3b107ddee81c429b779b1.jpg081dovyWpWTL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.d83cf9548f6decc5bd9f3cb40e1390ba.jpg

I  know this thread is just over a year old, and I don't mean to flame you if that's how it's taken, however I've taken your advice on the Kryonaut and used it in my laptop with an 11900h, The Kryonaut starts hardening and becomes brittle and QUICKLY starts losing it's thermal conductivity at 80c so a Laptop environment is NOT good for it with newer procs. Kryonaut extreme however is supposedly designed for extreme overclocking and also laptop environments where procs can easily hit 80c and higher.

55 minutes ago, RascalPaws said:

I  know this thread is just over a year old, and I don't mean to flame you if that's how it's taken, however I've taken your advice on the Kryonaut and used it in my laptop with an 11900h, The Kryonaut starts hardening and becomes brittle and QUICKLY starts losing it's thermal conductivity at 80c so a Laptop environment is NOT good for it with newer procs. Kryonaut extreme however is supposedly designed for extreme overclocking and also laptop environments where procs can easily hit 80c and higher.

I would go with Honeywell PTM7950, paste or "pad". It's phase-changing and once you "bake" it with high temps, it gets better over time. A couple of months ago someone switched to it and said that, initially, it seemed to do poorly but, once it had been baked, it was really good. Others who've used it a long time have commented on how it lasts so long without replacing it and may even improve more. I don't have this product at this time, so take those statements with a grain of salt.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂