I literally do not know how to code, but with chatGPT, I've managed to build a (sort of) working chrome extension in one day.

StayThePath

Here it is. Input your openAI API key and then when you highlight text and then hold the mouse button down for two seconds, it will load a response from gpt3 explaining what it is highlighted. I included a zip you can use with chrome to get it running. Ask chatGPT how to get it working on chrome. 

If someone "knows how to code" is 100% then I'm probably like 3% or 4% and the thing is, that that 3% is in python, not javascript which this entire thing is built in. Before yesterday I knew 0 things about javascript. I mean nothing at all other than that it was a program languange, and even then I was confused about java vs. javascript. I know it's super simple and buggy, but I wouldn't have been able to do this without chatgpt. I was just talking to chatGPT in the bath tub about the extension I wanted when I realized that if I prompt chatGPT correctly I may be able to build something that works. I certainly now know much more javascript which is great, but I'm gonna continue with python still. If anyone has any suggestions to fix it up, let me know. I have some more stuff I want to do with it that is more complicated, but I think I'll manage to do it.

If anyone that doesn't know how to code is reading this, I highly recommend using chatGPT as a tool to help you learn. I think it's probably a good idea to supplement with a course or other websites because chatGPT is wrong a lot.

I ended up feeding it bits of code from documentation that showed how to use some things and asked it to use something like that in my project to build what I wanted and that usually worked. I fed it all my project files many many times to make sure it has a full picture of the project and it's current status. A lot of times it suggested small fixes. Sometimes the fixes from chatGPT broke everything. There was a point where everything was broken, the loading box never even came up and it took me about 2 hours to fix, using chatGPT. 

Anyway, I'm posting this not so much to show off my project, but to show that although AI isn't really close to being able to build full projects in one go, if someone is dedicated, they can get a fair bit done in one day without any prior knowledge. I've been using chatGPT a lot since it came out, but I didn't think I would be able to do this until yesterday when it started showing me some working code. It also taught me to use github too and some html as well. I can now look at my code and pretty much understand exactly what it is doing line by line, which is something I couldn't do with even python before. I just think it's so cool that I was able to build something that mostly functions. Now it's time to just add some stuff. I even used chatGPT to clean up the code and make it easier to look at and had it add comments.

If anyone has any ideas how to make this a bit nicer or less buggy or any extra features it needs let me know! I want to keep working on this project because it's teaching me a lot.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I used gpt-4 A LOT. It was really annoying when I hit my limit, because I had to go back to 3.5 and it's fast, but the difference between gpt-4 and gpt-3 became VERY evident with this project. gpt-4 has way fixes, responses, code and explanations.

WORK.zip

1 hour ago, Franck said:

image.png.8ee1b698fb7fc781632389c08bc17958.png 

Totally something that would trip up a Captcha. I suspect OP may be ChatGPT.

java was very popular back in the late 1990s and the creator of javascript pretty much decided to borderline infringe on the java trademark so his new creation could just get a free ride off of java's popularity by calling it javascript. That's literally the entire story as far as i am concerned. 

Javascript is a pretty nice language to code on as long as you follow the ES6 and later synthax. Legacy js code gives me the shivers. 

Java is the same. Java 8 and above added in much-desired features such as lambda. Before that, coding functionally and trying to do something equivalent of passing in a function pointer was quite tricky. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

ChatGPT is cool and all, but using it for "learning"? For a one-time simple app, I'm sure it'll beat StackOverflow and googling in "time spent". Actual "learning" of the subject, though? Not even close, even for javascript. How can you learn anything by asking questions/prompts on a subject you know nothing about? Worst idea ever and is a sure way to Dunning-Krueger's pit, at best. 
MITOpenCoursware, Stanford Academy, free e-books, and megatons of other free/paid sources are there to grab and perish. Yeah, much time and much bore. But that's the best "learning" solution humanity came up with so far. 

There is approximately a 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

• 4 months later...
On 4/14/2023 at 6:21 AM, Franck said:

image.png.8ee1b698fb7fc781632389c08bc17958.png 

I'm learning Java in one of my classes now and this is very accurate. 

This is pretty awesome! I use github copilot daily which massively increases my productivity, but the only times i've used GPT was either I needed something simple done quickly or didn't want to learn how to do something. Really cool to see how far it can take someone with next to zero programming knowledge though, and if it feeds your passion for software engineering then more power to you.