Need help with an XLR set up

bendow2

Hello guys,

I am looking to upgrade to a higher quality XLR mic setup but am having trouble understanding what I do and dont need.

At the moment I am currently looking at getting a Rode Podmic mixed with a GoXLR mini. Not sure if this will work at all or if it is a bit overkill so if possible could someone give some good reccomendations within a £300~ budget. 

It should work fine. The page for that mic says it doesn't need phantom power.

If you want to save some money, look into used pro audio gear. I'm sure you can find a used Behringer, Mackie, or Tascam interface for a lot less than a GoXLR.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Anything not totally bottom-dollar, but just a decent something second hand, will most likely do just fine.

When chasing audio quality, your most likely enemy is electromagnetic interference from nearby LED lights of TL-lights, or just echoing, PC fans, ticking clocks & related culprits.

On 4/13/2023 at 10:32 AM, Needfuldoer said:

It should work fine. The page for that mic says it doesn't need phantom power.

If you want to save some money, look into used pro audio gear. I'm sure you can find a used Behringer, Mackie, or Tascam interface for a lot less than a GoXLR.

I agree on the used pro audio gear, but I'd skip on Behringer and Mackie...Tascam would probably be okay, but Behringer and Mackie are kind of on the lower end of the spectrum. I had a Behringer Xenyx x802 and it was noisy, had a lot of latency, and was just kind of overall not great. It worked for what it was, but I ended up getting an Allen & Heath Zedi10 and it's leaps and bounds better. You can find used/refurbed zedi8's for ~$180, new they're around $200. Maybe a bit more of a learning curve, but the audio quality of A&H is hard to surpass. The other option OP, is a USB condenser mic. You lose out on the physical faders for volume control, but it's far more simple (no audio interface needed) and will end up being overall less money.

I've been utilizing a Mackie ProFX Mixer for years that I have an XLR microphone plugged into as well as routing my audio through to my headphone amp and speakers. It does the job well, I wouldn't necessarily discount Behringer and Mackie unless their Interfaces are a lot worse than the mixers.

11 hours ago, NinJake said:

I've been utilizing a Mackie ProFX Mixer for years that I have an XLR microphone plugged into as well as routing my audio through to my headphone amp and speakers. It does the job well, I wouldn't necessarily discount Behringer and Mackie unless their Interfaces are a lot worse than the mixers.

Yeah, Mackie mixers I haven't heard too many complaints about. I mostly have experience with their PA speaker products, and I'm not a huge fan. But I will stand by my assessment of Behringer mixers and my experiences with it, and other Behringer mixers I've used. Really bad noise anytime I adjusted the knobs, poor latency, a sticky Phantom Power button, and over time the mic input with my dynamic Shure SM58 (no phantom power needed) became zero, even with gain and levels maxed. Aside from the mic volume, these were all issues since I got it new, so it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in their mixer products. What I was getting at is that just because something is a 'pro audio brand' doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically better than 'prosumer'/streamer gear. And for around the same price as a GoXLR, the Allen & Heath is a more robust and quality solution. Though if OP does prefer slider faders to knobs, that is something to consider.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone new  what to do when your black widow mini V3 when you type any letter on the top row of the keyboard it types a number with it does anyone know of a way to fix this I have tried reaching out to razor for help they haven't helped me very much know,  how to remove the switches it's a replaceable  switch bored I have also tried updating the firmware that did not work I am now left with the option of letting it run out of battery and then charging it back up and see if it fixes itself. 

5 hours ago, camacho2 said:

I was wondering if anyone new  what to do when your black widow mini V3 when you type any letter on the top row of the keyboard it types a number with it does anyone know of a way to fix this I have tried reaching out to razor for help they haven't helped me very much know,  how to remove the switches it's a replaceable  switch bored I have also tried updating the firmware that did not work I am now left with the option of letting it run out of battery and then charging it back up and see if it fixes itself. 

heyman please write a post in the peripherals https://linustechtips.com/forum/44-peripherals/ if you need help with this keyboard problem