Is it safe to buy Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Inkz

I saw recently there were a lot of articles about issues with it, but I saw there was a good deal on Amazon. Is the only issue really just the firmware needs to be updated? I saw the 970 EVO is only $10 cheaper, but I run a Z490 mobo with a 10900k so while I can't benefit from PCIE gen 4 I figured for the extra 10 bucks it might be worth it to future proof it but I am uncertain.

Yes, it just needs a firmware update.

Since the difference is only $10, there's probably no reason to go with the 970 EVO. However, by the time you can actually use PCIe 4.0 there might already be cheaper larger option available.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

19 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, it just needs a firmware update.

Since the difference is only $10, there's probably no reason to go with the 970 EVO. However, by the time you can actually use PCIe 4.0 there might already be cheaper larger option available.

Thank you, also by chance do you know for a Asus Z490 Gaming E board if the second M.2 slot uses the chipset or would affect GPU bandwidth? I do have one M.2 SSD on the slot closer to the cpu and I know PCIE 3 has a lot less bandwidth to work with. 

3 hours ago, Inkz said:

Thank you, also by chance do you know for a Asus Z490 Gaming E board if the second M.2 slot uses the chipset or would affect GPU bandwidth? I do have one M.2 SSD on the slot closer to the cpu and I know PCIE 3 has a lot less bandwidth to work with. 

You can check the motherboard's specs for info:

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/spec/

It says the second M.2 slot comes from the chipset. Never seen a board where the M.2 shares bandwidth with the GPU. If there's not enough lanes typically it'll disable some SATA ports, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply