Multi-tasking Server ( Gaming/Storage/Webpage ) + a Router

LEonors

Hi Everyone !

This is my first post here, so I hope it will be clear and I'll try to give as many information as I have 🙂

Roast me if I'm being dumb, I want to learn ! 

Budget (including currency): 200€ +/- 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: A multi-tasking Server : 

So I am thinking of using old stuff to build a server for various uses. 

I'm listing my available components at the end of the post, so you can see what kind of quality will be expected. I know it won't be much, but for my personal use, I think this will be enough for what I need.
talking about that, these are my wishes : 

1. Having a Raid5 environment. I want to have some kind of security over family pictures, videos and stuff.
  2. As I have some decent configuration for gaming, I'd like to make it available for all the desktops around my house for my family. ( those are pretty low screens, there's only one 4K and it's my Tv's, where I usually play )
  3. I want to make my files available through PLEX, so I've bought the full-time premium on the app, and I'll need to host a server for that
  4. I would like to Host a website, where It would be possible to have a view on the family pictures, upload and download things ( obv with a secured access. I think I'll dev it myself from some wordpress template )

Because I want some security and to be able to work on different servers or shut them down without shutting the rest,

I'm going to use a Type 1 Hypervisor, Proxmox, maybe ( I heard it has more comp with PC comps ), and host Linux OS in VM's.

And in order to keep some stability and to diffuse the load, I think of using a Load Balancer ( from KEMP ).

To increase security even more, I'll use an even older pc to build a Router with Pfsense as OS on it, and I'll buy some LAN cards.

I still don't know anything about compatibility on these cards, and I heard they can be touchy.

To be fair, if I can have a good one ( 5 gigs would be nice for the future upgrades on my machines ) on Aliexpress I'd be happy ( even though I know how it is on this site... )

I made a mockup for visibility : 

image.thumb.png.c980c294ae9b6dc294edb9e744110f63.png

And *Voilà* !
So I wanted to know if this project seems well prepared for you all, if it would be better to use other programs/OS,
and if you could share what you think I should dynamically set for each VM as resources.
I'm still wondering if those 16G of ram are sufficient too.

Anyway thank you if you're still reading ! 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

New PC Parts :
Asus Prime B550 Plus;
Amd Ryzen 5 5600X;
Zotac Trinity OC RTX 3070Ti;

1x16Gb DDR4 Ram (T-force, 4000Mhz);

NVME 1Tb 980PRO;

Old PC parts : 

---
For the server : 
Aorus B450 Gaming Plus;
RTX2070S (KFA2 -> I upgraded to the 3070Ti because of a surge, but I managed to repair it by removing a chip and putting it back... I used Mods(Mats) to know which one I had to remove );
1x16Gb DDR4 ram ( T-Force, 4000Mhz -> that one will be used at 3000Mhz, 'cuz of the surge and now, it's only working at that frequency );
Nvme 250Gb 970 Evo;
3x 2Tb Seagate HDD;

--> going to buy an AMD 1600x for like 30 bucks tomorrow ( the surge fucked the old one );

---

For the Router :

an old I5 from 7y ago;

2x8 Gb DDR3 ( Samsung, something along 1600Mhz );

128Gb crucial SSD; ( is this overkill... ? );

--> Going to buy some 2,5Gb LAN cards for that old motherboard, some PCIE are available

---
I have some old Gpu's lying around, these will be used on my kid's desktops, benefiting from the gaming server: 

1 Zotac 660Ti;

1 EVGA 770;

1 EVGA 780;

1 TwinFrost 680;

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Threads Merged-

Please refrain from reposting content

Thank you for the merge ! I'll be careful next time

i don't really have knowledge about this stuff but what i will say is that RAID 5 is overkill for almost any thing, you will be better of splitting your storage into 2 ranks or just make them 2 separate storage locations in one PC and using RAID 1 or 2 on them.

i think because of the thread merge some content is a bit confusing to read but for my uneducated brain (on this topic), it seems like you will use 2 PCs, one as a router and one as a (hybrid with a gaming PC) sort of NAS. and also im assuming your budget is 2000 euros not 200. 

58 minutes ago, planetary problem said:

i don't really have knowledge about this stuff but what i will say is that RAID 5 is overkill for almost any thing, you will be better of splitting your storage into 2 ranks or just make them 2 separate storage locations in one PC and using RAID 1 or 2 on them.

i think because of the thread merge some content is a bit confusing to read but for my uneducated brain (on this topic), it seems like you will use 2 PCs, one as a router and one as a (hybrid with a gaming PC) sort of NAS. and also im assuming your budget is 2000 euros not 200. 

Well I mentioned all the stuff that I'm reusing, so I won't have to invest much, I think that 200€ is reasonable for what I need.

But talking about Raid5, it seems like I'll win 1 Tb if I  take it instead of 50% storage. Is there any factor that I'm forgetting ?