Upgrade 2070s to 4080ti

Go to solution Solved by rippy4500,

Whats your budget?

For a 4070 ti you could use your current psu assuming its a good quality unit.

And at 1440p and 4k you shouldnt be cpu bottlenecked too badly.

Budget: ≤ $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (mainly FPS), Streaming/recording,  😅Star Citizen

Other details Currently I have a Ryzen 3700x and 2070 super paired with a 750w PSU. I thinking of upgrading the GPU to a 4070ti or 4070 which ever I can get my hands on. 

I trying to figure out if this would be something I should try, or should hold off. 

I would also be upgrading the PSU to 1000w or 1200w. 

This would also be like a intermediate/transition step before I do a Mobo/CPU upgrade as way not to completely blow my wallet if that makes any sense 

Monitor wise my main is 1440p144hz and my secondary is 4k60hz

Resizable Bar is available in the mobo bios so will def be using that. 

Whats your budget?

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

You should try to get an rx 7900 xt(x) depending on which version you can get and you only need a 850 water PSU for the gpu if you can’t get a rtx 4070 (ti) 

3 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

Whats your budget?

Thats what I was thinking, the psu I have right now is a evga supernova gt

i would try for a 7900xtx or xt instead better performance for same or cheaper

I'd go for the RX6950XT if you're not bothered by Ray Tracing... on most markets this card offers unbeatable price-to-performance, it's a performance beast for 1440p still for unbeatable prices and super well established drivers and support.

RX7900XT(X) -> main issue here is the completely dog shit state the support and drivers are, I was hugely disappointed with these cards lackluster performance improvements and all its issues, completely unusable in VR right now for some reason.

RTX 4080 -> underwhelming card due to its high price but still a significant beast all things considered, can be worth it if you're willing to pay the price and a must if you want Ray Tracing...

Keep in mind your R7 3700X might be a limiting factor for high refresh rates at times.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

42 minutes ago, AngelBond14 said:

Budget: ≤ $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (mainly FPS), Streaming/recording,  😅Star Citizen

Other details Currently I have a Ryzen 3700x and 2070 super paired with a 750w PSU. I thinking of upgrading the GPU to a 4070ti or 4070 which ever I can get my hands on. 

I trying to figure out if this would be something I should try, or should hold off. 

This would also be like a intermediate/transition step before I do a Mobo/CPU upgrade as way not to completely blow my wallet if that makes any sense 

Monitor wise my main is 1440p144hz and my secondary is 4k60hz

Resizable Bar is available in the mobo bios so will def be using that. 

You'd probably benefit more from doing a CPU upgrade first than a GPU if you mostly play FPS and star citizen. Star citizen CPU performance scaling is nuts and a 7800x3D would be an incredible jump.

If either way you're upgrading your CPU and the games you mostly play are more CPU bound than GPU (even at 1440p) then you mind as well wait for a better value card and jump on a new CPU first. 2070S is no slouch at 1440p even in 2023 and you're going to be more limited by your 3700x than your 2070S.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 hours ago, AngelBond14 said:

No, itll be fine. Id even straight face say for dead stock, you can run 850W on a 4090.

But yeah, Star Citizen is a massive core hog and loves massive cache and clock speed. Id upgrade the CPU sooner than that.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I agree that a PSU upgrade is a smart move in this case.
An older PSU may or may not "Like" the increase in nominal load placed on it.

I'd have to say for peace of mind, a 1000W unit is about right and will give a little headroom per load(s) it will have to handle, depending on all the rest of course and you did indicate a future upgrade with the board too.

No need to go crazy with the wattage but a unit running at or nearly at full capacity all the time isn't a great idea, that's why a bit of headroom is always a good idea when figuring in what wattage loads you expect it to handle.
Not to mention a larger unit will not make it use any more power since PSU's do not cram wattage into a system - That's not how they work because all they do is supply what wattage the system is demanding for at any given moment.

All it's wattage rating means is if the load demand is there it will handle up to that wattage per it's rating if there is ever a demand for it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:06 PM, Agall said:

You'd probably benefit more from doing a CPU upgrade first than a GPU if you mostly play FPS and star citizen. Star citizen CPU performance scaling is nuts and a 7800x3D would be an incredible jump.

If either way you're upgrading your CPU and the games you mostly play are more CPU bound than GPU (even at 1440p) then you mind as well wait for a better value card and jump on a new CPU first. 2070S is no slouch at 1440p even in 2023 and you're going to be more limited by your 3700x than your 2070S.

You know you make a good point. 

This is probably something that I'll be working on during the summer, hopefully microcenter will still have those combo deals for the cpu/mobo/ram 
but also we shall see how sales are. I'll keep this in mind lol

On 4/5/2023 at 4:48 PM, SorryClaire said:

No, itll be fine. Id even straight face say for dead stock, you can run 850W on a 4090.

But yeah, Star Citizen is a massive core hog and loves massive cache and clock speed. Id upgrade the CPU sooner than that.

You can technically run an RTX 4090 off a 750W if you're really ballsy, but that's a scenario where dialing down the TDP to 90% is ideal. 'Eco mode' 4090 still go brrrr.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017