Corsair CX430M, is it enough?

Walter H.W.
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

I wouldn't do it, it's not enough if you're overclocking and with alot of fans.

Get a 500watts atleast ( I could be wrong but this is my thought ).

he's not even drawing 400w he'll be good even with some Oc

The system would barely hit ~200w at load.

I just remembered that I've a sound card, a Creative something, shouldn't draw too much anyway.

Any ideas for a cheap 500W modular PSU?

I need it modular because the case will be a mess with the few cable management space there is.

The cx430 is fine.

Even with your changes the CX430M will handle it easily. 

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Even with your changes the CX430M will handle it easily.

Are you really sure man? 261W just the GPU and 100W+ for the CPU and it's already 361W+, plus other stuff, 7 fans,  2 HDD, maybe I'll buy an SSD later. Feels to me like it's right on the line.

Is there any way to know how much power will a FX-6300 use overclocked at 4.0Ghz? Cooler Master Power Calculator says 112W @1.3v and 130W @1.4v. If that's true it'll be even more than I thought.

This is the result (I know it usually says more than needed):

http://i.imgur.com/jq3XkaY.jpg

I am the one who knocks.

Are you really sure man? 261W just the GPU and 100W+ for the CPU and it's already 361W+, plus other stuff, 7 fans,  2 HDD, maybe I'll buy an SSD later. Feels to me like it's right on the line.

Is there any way to know how much power will a FX-6300 use overclocked at 4.0Ghz? Cooler Master Power Calculator says 112W @1.3v and 130W @1.4v. If that's true it'll be even more than I thought.

This is the result (I know it usually says more than needed):

http://i.imgur.com/jq3XkaY.jpg

10 people have already said it's more than enough. If you still have doubts then get a 500W. Don't know what else to tell you.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

q

PSU calculators are retarded and seldom work properly.

an r9 270 uses 150 watts...  And it'll only do that if you're mining/folding with it, benchmarks/ games will only uses about 120-130 if that.

Fans literally use 1-2 watts each.

You're gonna use around 250 watts overclocked under load IF THAT.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

10 people have already said it's more than enough. If you still have doubts then get a 500W. Don't know what else to tell you.

... That was mostly with the R7 260x in mind, which consumes less, plus I don't think that everyone has to know how much Watts a specific graphics card uses on 100% load, I know it's bad my bad because I had to look for it before and not now, I didn't know that the GPU needed that much and maybe others don't as well.

I prefer to ask and be sure than buying something that won't be good enough and will cause me:

• Bad 3D performance
  • Crashing games
  • Spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
  • Freezing during gameplay
  • PSU overload can cause it to break down

(taken from Guru3d.com)

They suggest at least 450W for this specific card, without counting that my CPU probably draws more W than the one they used,

I am the one who knocks.

PSU calculators are retarded and seldom work properly.

an r9 270 uses 150 watts...  And it'll only do that if you're mining/folding with it, benchmarks/ games will only uses about 120-130 if that.

Fans literally use 1-2 watts each.

You're gonna use around 250 watts overclocked under load IF THAT.

Never mind. I was wrong.

I misread.. It's 261W for the whole system.. :/

Probably it's still better to get a 500W PSU but at least I know it's not 100% needed.

Thanks anyway.

I am the one who knocks.

you should be fine if that's the max you can go with your budget.

but of course with a larger pocket you might want to step it up.

indeed, 2 units from the top tier PSU, the seasonic is rated for 70 more watts, also i know for a fact that the customer service is top notch from seasonic, 

OMG you actually had experience on seasonic customer service? I know it could happen but I've used a lot of seasonic psu and even today I never had the reason to call their customer service.

btw it's assuring to know their customer service is top notch my friend ^_^.

Live your life like a dream.

Never mind. I was wrong.

I misread.. It's 261W for the whole system.. :/

Probably it's still better to get a 500W PSU but at least I know it's not 100% needed.

Thanks anyway.

It's not better--You wouldn't be able to peak the cx430 with your system specs even if you tried. The system with a 265 could run off of a 350w if you really wanted to.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I really don't understand where this fear of a to small psu comes. 20 people can tell you it's fine und you still want to buy a bigger unit. A overclocked 4770k with a 290X will run fine with a good 500W psu.

It's not better--You wouldn't be able to peak the cx430 with your system specs even if you tried. The system with a 265 could run off of a 350w if you really wanted to.

Ok, thanks man for reassuring me.

I really don't understand where this fear of a to small psu comes. 20 people can tell you it's fine und you still want to buy a bigger unit. A overclocked 4770k with a 290X will run fine with a good 500W psu.

Guys (some), calm down! There can be 100000 people telling me something but I'll still think with my own brain, also people can mistake, nobody knows everything, except God Linus of course (jk?).

I also said that I was wrong because I misread the results of that test and everything was fine. I had/have no intention of spending more than needed, I just wanted to be sure.

Peace.

I am the one who knocks.

Ok, thanks man for reassuring me.

Guys (some), calm down! There can be 100000 people telling me something but I'll still think with my own brain, also people can mistake, nobody knows everything, except God Linus of course (jk?).

I also said that I was wrong because I misread the results of that test and everything was fine. I had/have no intention of spending more than needed, I just wanted to be sure.

Peace.

It's not that, it's the fact that we're trying to help you and trying to save you money. PSU's are all about Quality over Quantity. The reason that the CX430 is so highly recommended and so many people love them is because they are a quality component which can be had for very cheap. I've seen i5 & 7950 systems running with them and the PSU was just chugging along without breaking a sweat.

PSU calculators and "recommended" wattage from manufacturers are marketing ploys to get the consumer to buy more than they need. 

We're here to help, let us.

It's not that, it's the fact that we're trying to help you and trying to save you money. PSU's are all about Quality over Quantity. The reason that the CX430 is so highly recommended and so many people love them is because they are a quality component which can be had for very cheap. I've seen i5 & 7950 systems running with them and the PSU was just chugging along without breaking a sweat.

PSU calculators and "recommended" wattage from manufacturers are marketing ploys to get the consumer to buy more than they need. 

We're here to help, let us.

I guess you're right, I follow Linus and other tech Youtubers but after a while I forget what they recommend, (I'm not saying they are worth more than forum members but most of the times they are right) probably because It's long time I don't buy pc components nor I'm an active part of a tech forum, why being sadomasochistic if I know I can't afford them? lol.

Anyway, this unanimous opinion towards the CX430M convinced me, so I'm going to get it (well, I had ordered it already).

Thanks everyone, again.

I am the one who knocks.

"enough" doesn't leave tons of headroom, its "enough" but I wouldn't do it personally.  If you already have the power supply, then sure.  Go ahead, but if you havent got one yet I advice a 500watt power supply, I understand your on a budget but the power supply is not something to be compromised greatly, So, I advise a 500watt one. 

"enough" doesn't leave tons of headroom, its "enough" but I wouldn't do it personally.  If you already have the power supply, then sure.  Go ahead, but if you havent got one yet I advice a 500watt power supply, I understand your on a budget but the power supply is not something to be compromised greatly, So, I advise a 500watt one. 

Sorry dude but the boys convinced me, plus I don't need headroom for anything else, I'm not going to add much to the build and that 430W will do the job. Thanks anyway.

I am the one who knocks.

Too bad I'm in Italy and it costs $27 more..

This one is hard to find and it would cost me $20 more :/

What many people don't notice is that there are different versions of PCPartPicker, and there is also an Italian version of this.

Your system with all the components you've said will probably only ever need 500W, with overclocking.

I would never recommend Corsair's CX, CXM, CS, CSM or TX lineup. They all use the same cheap capacitors and are not worth the price you pay. 

Brands I would highly recommend would be Antec, XFX, Seasonic or Corsair's higher-end lineup. (Their AX series are at the top of the game.)

Here's the cheapest best PSU with enough wattage for you and an upgrade.

Power Supply:  XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€51.21 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €51.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-10 17:14 CEST+0200)

The problem is that it's not modular, which is important for the PC I'm building. Plus the CX serie are made in the same factory as the higher end series, so I suppose they should have the same good components.

Anyway I've bought the CX430M already and they don't have that XFX PSU in their shop, if I ever considered that option.

I am the one who knocks.

The problem is that it's not modular, which is important for the PC I'm building. Plus the CX serie are made in the same factory as the higher end series, so I suppose they should have the same good components.

Anyway I've bought the CX430M already and they don't have that XFX PSU in their shop, if I ever considered that option.

The assumption that a series is would used the same components due to it being made by the same company as their higher-end is actually flawed. The CX430M is is based on a basic group-regulated design with lower quality caps, as opposed to a more advanced topology with a DC-DC secondary with high quality 105C Japanese caps.

It's not a terrible unit, though and it's not such a shock that an entry level PSU would be as such. If you are on a budget and looking for the cheapest acceptable PSU you can buy, it's certainly an option.

The assumption that a series is would used the same components due to it being made by the same company as their higher-end is actually flawed. The CX430M is is based on the based on a basic group-regulated design with lower quality caps. It's not a terrible unit, though and it's not such a shock that an entry level PSU would be as such.

Good to know, I was supposing so yeah.. I'm still going to get the CX430M, so maybe I should mark this thread as solved already.

I am the one who knocks.

The assumption that a series is would used the same components due to it being made by the same company as their higher-end is actually flawed. The CX430M is is based on a basic group-regulated design with lower quality caps, as opposed to a more advanced topology with a DC-DC secondary with high quality 105C Japanese caps.

It's not a terrible unit, though and it's not such a shock that an entry level PSU would be as such. If you are on a budget and looking for the cheapest acceptable PSU you can buy, it's certainly an option.

that's exactly what i explained 10 times already today in about 10 different threads regarding PSU !

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR