Quick question: Install stock cooler or wait?

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

nahh install the stock cooler it takes about 5 minutes to swap to the other one when you get it...just whipe off the thermal paste with toilet paper until the surface is clean and put new one and new cooler...you could use isopropyl alcohol as it is recommanded to make sure the surface is 100% clean but i always used only toilet paper and never had any issue.

Hi, so I've ordered all my PC components, of which everything EXCEPT the after market cooler will arrive on Sunday.
I may have to wait till Friday or maybe even the Monday/Tuesday of the week after. 

Should I install the stock cooler for approx 4-10 days? I.e. is it a huge hassle to remove the stock fan and install the new one (I'm thinking thermal paste removal here) and everything else involved, of course.

Quick answer & a lock for this one.

( I tried to Google it).

Loads of community interaction and CS:GO gameplay
www.twitch.tv/terosterone

Go ahead and install it, it only takes a few mins to remove.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

You'll be fine so long as you keep things at stock speeds. Removing paste is also a painless thing that takes less than 5 minutes to do.

nahh install the stock cooler it takes about 5 minutes to swap to the other one when you get it...just whipe off the thermal paste with toilet paper until the surface is clean and put new one and new cooler...you could use isopropyl alcohol as it is recommanded to make sure the surface is 100% clean but i always used only toilet paper and never had any issue.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Okay, thanks for the quick replies. I was worried the thermal paste would be a more difficult thing to remove.

I was seriously pissed off at my supplier. I got my packages quicker from the US and Germany, than I did from my home town retailer.

Okay, thanks for the quick replies. I was worried the thermal paste would be a more difficult thing to remove.

I was seriously pissed off at my supplier. I got my packages quicker from the US and Germany, than I did from my home town retailer.

It is not that difficult to remove(a little tedious though). If you want you can be lazy and do a poor job and it won't affect temps a great deal anyway. But it is always better to play it safe and make sure you clean it all off though.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

stock cooler is good enough, aftermarket cooler is only useful if you're having issues with cpu freezing over heat or is overclocking it to the brink, but depends on your taste.

aftermarket coolers look cool if you have an open case side panel. tho better cooling means better perfomance, if you're using it for basic gaming and light compute intesive multi tasking? the you better stick with stock cooler and save on the aftermarket cooler price.

ninja always stays cools :ph34r:

Details separate people.

Ive used a stock cooler on my 4770k for like 2/3 weeks, it actually isnt that bad. i can barely hear it, and it is perfectly fine at cooling it down as long I dont OC

I have played marathon sessions of BF4 on it and its fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Whenever I remove paste, i simply take an alcohol wipe we have laying around meant for cleaning wounds and dry with toilet paper. Never had an issue removing the stuff.

Cool. Oh and FYI, the cooler is a Hyper Evo 212. 
Case Closed. Thanks for the replies.

Whenever I remove paste, i simply take an alcohol wipe we have laying around meant for cleaning wounds and dry with toilet paper. Never had an issue removing the stuff.

Cool. Sounds like a plan. I'll do some reading on it, but sounds easy enough.
Really wanted just to check. Had it been a pain, I could have  canceled my order and ordered it from elsewhere.  (This just happened to be the cheapest option with free shipping)

stock cooler is good enough, aftermarket cooler is only useful if you're having issues with cpu freezing over heat or is overclocking it to the brink, but depends on your taste.

I want the cooler for over clocking and more silent operation. I'll probably stick to my order, but good to know. 

you won't be disapointed the 212 is an awesome cooler and very quiet too

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR