Idle Temperatures on 5900X - Are they Normal?

MidNate
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

62-64c is safe but certainly higher than I would expect even for Zen3. 

However, this doesn't tell you a full story. 

With HWiNFO open monitoring temperature AND clockspeed across all cores, start a Cinebench R23 multicore test and report back the max CPU temp, all core clockspeed and score. (Ensure CB is set to advanced benchmark so it only runs once) 

tl;dr, idle temps aren't helpful, load temps AND all core clockspeed tell us how well your cooler is performing. 

I'm trying to figure out if the temperatures I'm reading on my AMD Ryzen 9 5900X are normal or not. On idle, my temperature readings are between 62°C and 64°C. While under load, they range about 10 degrees higher. My case is the Corsair 5000D so airflow shouldn't be the problem. The only things that I can think of as to what it could be are the thermal paste and I just need to redo that, orientate the fans and radiator differently, or I might need to get different fans that are more flush with the radiator. Like I'm just looking for a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion as to what could be going on or if the temps for this CPU are just normal. Any help is appreciated!

339459426_900324267910034_1236388154785852535_n.jpg

5000 series caused a lot of spook due to the high idle temps but it was quickly established by AMD that it's safe and normal behavior for these CPUs. They have really high idle voltages, but since it's idle they're not pulling much current, voltages usually drop under load as the chip clocks up and pulls more current, thus why the temperature doesn't climb much under load. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

62-64c is safe but certainly higher than I would expect even for Zen3. 

However, this doesn't tell you a full story. 

With HWiNFO open monitoring temperature AND clockspeed across all cores, start a Cinebench R23 multicore test and report back the max CPU temp, all core clockspeed and score. (Ensure CB is set to advanced benchmark so it only runs once) 

tl;dr, idle temps aren't helpful, load temps AND all core clockspeed tell us how well your cooler is performing. 

36 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'd change that to load temps and benchmark scores, since it's not uncommon for Ryzen chips, even in HWINFO64 and Ryzen Master, to read out the wrong clock speed. I've got screen shots of my chip doing 4.7GHz in R23 that are 3000 points lower than it doing 4.4GHz, for instance. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd change that to load temps and benchmark scores, since it's not uncommon for Ryzen chips, even in HWINFO64 and Ryzen Master, to read out the wrong clock speed. I've got screen shots of my chip doing 4.7GHz in R23 that are 3000 points lower than it doing 4.4GHz, for instance. 

Yeah you're probably right. I've got saved R23 runs with exactly that happening. 

22 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

With HWiNFO open monitoring temperature AND clockspeed across all cores, start a Cinebench R23 multicore test and report back the max CPU temp, all core clockspeed and score

So I ran Cinebench R23 and rant the stress test while looking at HWINFO and from what I can see, the temperatures are way different and look more normal. Idle before running the test was showing a steady 51°C with the stress test showing up to 69°C (nice). So I guess the NZXT program is reading a different temperature somewhere because the other stuff is showing temps being normal and the CPU is fine.