Doing my first Hardline build! What are some common pitfalls?

since Im doing my first hardline build with a very general knowledge of the basics from years of LTT and Jayztwocents I figure i would make this post. What are commons traps and mistakes a beginner builder can make? This is the case I'm going to be building in with 2 480s and 2 360's and all EK blocks and pumps, corsair black clamp things for the tubes and off brand 90 and 135 degree fittings. Im going to use no bends in the loop only fittings.

PXL_20230403_035749394.jpg

Remember to peel?

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

only fittings makes for way way more points of failure and doing simple single 90 bends is extremely easy. you should really consider splitting your expected bends/90 fittings half half. i don't recommend doing complex multi bends as a first timer though.

also absolutely put a drain in from the start... the fill port you can do a temp janky thing each time you fill. but draining for maintenance, when you have to hold your heavy full of water PC tilted or upside down to get the fluid out..... don't do it... you will hate/fear doing maintenance so much you won't do it even when you can clearly tell something has been wrong for months.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1 hour ago, phatrattyy said:

What are commons traps and mistakes a beginner builder can make?

Going overboard on cooling capacity and not using the money to have better hardware. Like a 13900ks + 4090 is easily cooled on a 360 with decent fans.

Buying all fancy brand stuff instead of equally good other brand stuff

Not getting a proper silicone tube, heatgun and vice if bending

In your case specifically: thinking no bends will be needed 😛 AND introducing a ton of fittings which are costly and a point of failiure

Using a cheap pump instead of a tried and true one

Not having a easy way to fill and empty the loop with some soft tubing

Not having some spare tubing

Measure thrice cut once

Have a proper plan before you start

Here's a few that come to mind...

• Buy twice the amount of tubing (of the correct ID/OD) you think you're going to need - mistakes will be made.
  • Be prepared to be less than completely satisfied with your efforts and redo it a number of times over the next 12 months or so. Trust me, it will happen 😆
  • If you don't like extensive cleaning, avoid coolants with dyes (I use clear EK Cryofuel). Radiators can be difficult to get all remnants of dye if you change your mind (or colour) and it loves staining tubing. If you haven't bought the tubing yet, you can use a "satin white" or "satin transparent" and rely on your RGB to add a bit of reflective/muted colour. I use Corsair Hydro X Series XT HL series "Satin Transparent" tubing.
  • Don't forget to debur the tube ends before pushing them into the fittings. Don't want to be damaging those O-rings.
  • I like using cross-flow radiators for the horizontally mounted radiators, saves an ugly pipe running over the fans from one end of the case to the other.
  • I find it handy to have one or two double-45° fittings around (just-in-case) for those pesky runs that just don't want to match.
  • Don't forget to get a liquid temperature sensor (10kΩ thermistor either inline or a stop plug variant) - makes configuring fans curves easier. 

5 hours ago, Blai5e said:

Here's a few that come to mind...

• Buy twice the amount of tubing (of the correct ID/OD) you think you're going to need - mistakes will be made.
  • Be prepared to be less than completely satisfied with your efforts and redo it a number of times over the next 12 months or so. Trust me, it will happen 😆
  • If you don't like extensive cleaning, avoid coolants with dyes (I use clear EK Cryofuel). Radiators can be difficult to get all remnants of dye if you change your mind (or colour) and it loves staining tubing. If you haven't bought the tubing yet, you can use a "satin white" or "satin transparent" and rely on your RGB to add a bit of reflective/muted colour. I use Corsair Hydro X Series XT HL series "Satin Transparent" tubing.
  • Don't forget to debur the tube ends before pushing them into the fittings. Don't want to be damaging those O-rings.
  • I like using cross-flow radiators for the horizontally mounted radiators, saves an ugly pipe running over the fans from one end of the case to the other.
  • I find it handy to have one or two double-45° fittings around (just-in-case) for those pesky runs that just don't want to match.
  • Don't forget to get a liquid temperature sensor (10kΩ thermistor either inline or a stop plug variant) - makes configuring fans curves easier. 

how do you debur tubing? can i just use sandpaper??

Few things.

LTT and JayzTwoCents often do a good job showing builds, but very rarely talk about actual loop preparation/part cleaning etc. It often looks like they just take rads and blocks out of the box and install it. Don't do that. Be sure you are properly cleaning new radiators, blocks, etc. Radiators especially are quite dirty out of the box and you don't want all that crap in your loop. 

Secondly, just because EK sponsors all their videos, doesn't mean they are "the best" like so many think. They perform decent enough, but often are much more expensive than equally or better performing parts from competitors. I would also say they just generally have a lot of quality control issues too in my experience over the past 11 years watercooling myself.

Coolant...stick with a clear premix. Opaques are never worth it, especially if this is your first time. Sure they look cool at first, but easily turn into a maintenance nightmare.

With that out of the way...

Also make sure you properly figure out airflow as well. So many people end up hotboxing their rigs, especially O11-D builders, because they don't properly figure out airflow to optimize performance, often sacrificing quite a bit for "it looks cool".

And now a question for you, you asked about hard tubing, but I didn't see you mention what kind. Are you using Acrylic, PMMA, or PETG? Depending on what you go with will determine what the best tools are for you to use. Regardless you will always need a heat gun, and a silicon insert.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

3 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

Few things.

LTT and JayzTwoCents often do a good job showing builds, but very rarely talk about actual loop preparation/part cleaning etc. It often looks like they just take rads and blocks out of the box and install it. Don't do that. Be sure you are properly cleaning new radiators, blocks, etc. Radiators especially are quite dirty out of the box and you don't want all that crap in your loop. 

Secondly, just because EK sponsors all their videos, doesn't mean they are "the best" like so many think. They perform decent enough, but often are much more expensive than equally or better performing parts from competitors. I would also say they just generally have a lot of quality control issues too in my experience over the past 11 years watercooling myself.

Coolant...stick with a clear premix. Opaques are never worth it, especially if this is your first time. Sure they look cool at first, but easily turn into a maintenance nightmare.

With that out of the way...

Also make sure you properly figure out airflow as well. So many people end up hotboxing their rigs, especially O11-D builders, because they don't properly figure out airflow to optimize performance, often sacrificing quite a bit for "it looks cool".

And now a question for you, you asked about hard tubing, but I didn't see you mention what kind. Are you using Acrylic, PMMA, or PETG? Depending on what you go with will determine what the best tools are for you to use. Regardless you will always need a heat gun, and a silicon insert.

Im using PMMA I'm running mostly negative pressure and pushpull on all rads with only two 140 mm corsair fans as intake in the back

6 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

Im using PMMA I'm running mostly negative pressure and pushpull on all rads with only two 140 mm corsair fans as intake in the back

OK, PMMA, that's what I am using as well. It takes a lot longer to heat up and bend then say PETG, so just be patient with it. Cutting it, you will need a saw. I had terrible luck getting straight cuts with the tiny hand saws kits such as the Corsair kit came with, so I opted for something more heavier duty from Home Depot and it works flawlessly. Just make sure you have something to hold the tube straight and in place while you cut it.

Something like this with some weight to it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-12-in-High-Tension-Hack-Saw-with-10-in-Mini-Hack-Saw-20-036M/100496136

Harbor Freight also has an electric mini-saw but I found that the 14mm PMMa tubing from Corsair was slightly too big for it, so I wouldn't bother.

As for deburring, I went with one of the Primochill finishing bits. It works, but just make sure it is on straight. Maybe mine was defective, but sometimes it really did not finish it straight. You can also just use a hand debur tool that has inner and outer debur, and then finish the edge straight on some sandpaper.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

15 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

OK, PMMA, that's what I am using as well. It takes a lot longer to heat up and bend then say PETG, so just be patient with it. Cutting it, you will need a saw. I had terrible luck getting straight cuts with the tiny hand saws kits such as the Corsair kit came with, so I opted for something more heavier duty from Home Depot and it works flawlessly. Just make sure you have something to hold the tube straight and in place while you cut it.

Something like this with some weight to it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-12-in-High-Tension-Hack-Saw-with-10-in-Mini-Hack-Saw-20-036M/100496136

Harbor Freight also has an electric mini-saw but I found that the 14mm PMMa tubing from Corsair was slightly too big for it, so I wouldn't bother.

As for deburring, I went with one of the Primochill finishing bits. It works, but just make sure it is on straight. Maybe mine was defective, but sometimes it really did not finish it straight. You can also just use a hand debur tool that has inner and outer debur, and then finish the edge straight on some sandpaper.

Which bit https://www.amazon.com/PrimoChill-RFB-Rigid-Tubing-Finishing/dp/B01FN3MKKQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=primochill%2Bfinishing%2Bbit&qid=1680559668&sprefix=primo%2Bchill%2Bfinishing%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-1&th=1 works with 14mm tubing??

Test Bench: 

7 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

Thank you so much I think Im ready 😄 ill send a finished build pic in this chat in a few months!!! still gonna go with no bends its not that I dont trust myself its for the VIBE

• 1 month later...

little update. this is why I wanted no bends. Look how aesthetic this is. still waiting on my drain ball valve and adding and connecting the other two rads. Couple of the bends off by a degree or two, will recut the tubing at a later date adding two+ mms

10O7QF0VavnLmSCHKjHdIEANJ966b_MyCGE5jpP8LFjBieETby1HRTsGikZl99IJAnoerGwRdqutuaa29WqnQyH72xz4fWTrUSH8QHHzktj1uji66gprld6i1u3lf73NsmL59XwZVEDbkmG3mmCVlxbNUhrrrA4Cyw-WIFMqHAFHaOcb0qZX2hj9lhuDy-lbLxhrBlRnbNjoYDCpBdwRkDqaMSUwrfMdfHavMBmDc9UI6vXEgWhUsOwd9kDiibjS9G4V5hr-w5KnD3kdPaBHjge2ImVp5mFdXD88OCmlb9grNUiEc6MNXiX8rxA91XRp_T1Arq5YRtOAjdA__rfG9QZU-ZcIcYPKw8ccadMvbDg2B2prOQLhqC-62DD-QgbCsl-UH3Cj6TnVCvHd4lgjZD8zbQA04jxOJ_w00XKBviTmdFwlBwZpNrC4oGI-aiTi1_CZG6aq54nh4T5rPOSSqmmU2NoJcW44MOu2ms9gIEbC-Djri91O8l7L88oR4x48ZHzCMvqQa_bncsMNMC1ne86N3pqRFxcM664XXkUy9WxzuAYitff-p_f6qNizEwD-AdcCnBSAJkFuQoR2GnM4fbJwvo5uH5LqtPL0A36tfQobQOl8KfNa-s3ve0_T_p__QoCBUo23yx5Z40BsxKbhDcMvhbzy_dDS7mNoKadP9NzGy8MBJtPddZOKKIu32dcmoiiQXmnmL8-O1XoRs9YDXJBM_N0TvanRECu9oj4jHMXJoYRyBi6R3g26ckxjl5Kyu6bYb1SssP4-6ZVh8ssc2xk7ahWhPgOO1RBoexpS0dvmMWjHvf-e5paCxIgpun8u-ue5nqcKK1LLiuRFvun3oRIIMBi674beNBxiEuWdF-lmmOTzTEFiE3EPpNrPm5nPu7Vjaaxr-nvNeFgC0fwVEehPNN4OFIFN9Z28c2g3NkQuBqTj12Lr2sN8wqPPh7StGI23JbSWQy-Vji9q2Lqi=w618-h820-s-no?authuser=0