Server PSU for 12v Projects? (3d Printer)

Looby

Hello All,

I have a creality cr-10s that Im building a custom enclosure for and as part of that need to run additional power for fans, heater, filter, lights, etc.  I have another 350watt meanwell sitting around BUT I was wondering what the feasibility was of using a spare server PSU.

Ideally I would run either a Dell 750 watt (E750E-S0) or a Supermicro 920 watt (PWS-920P-SQ).

Meanwell is like ~80% efficient.

Server PSU is 90+% efficient (80+ platinum)

Also I would only have to run one server PSU vs TWO meanwells.

Dell doesnt have a separate power distribution block like Supermicro does in their chassis.  That could make getting power from the special Dell connector a pain.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Downsides to running both 3d printer, octopi, and all the enclosure stuff on one PSU?

Thanks.

server psus with built in fans, ideally from a 2u chassis or larger are great for 12v. 
do not worry about breakout boards, simply look up a pinout before you buy. 
I would get one which uses board edge connections like a gpu pci-e kinda. You can buy a cheap set of xt60 pigtails and just literally solder two straight to the board edge pads. Then bridge the p_on pin to ground or add a switch for it. ez beef psu.

Ive got both dell and supermicro PSUs sitting around and would love to find a way to use a plug in connector vs soldering to the edge connections.  It would make it a LOT quicker to swap out PSUs if one happened to go bad. 

Supermicro makes an replacement power distribution board for their chassis that I seem to remember being "fairly cheap" on ebay but havent looked recently.

The other thing im also wondering about is standby power

Supermicro - 5v - 4amp

Dell - 12v - 3amp

I want to leave the octopi on all the time so I would need to run it off the standby power and have a 12v to 5v converter board power it (if running on 12v).  There shouldnt be any issue with transition between standby and ON power states should there?  Like when I tell the octopi to boot the enclosure system up the PSU kicks on and that causes the power to switch the pi off?

On 3/28/2023 at 7:03 PM, OhYou_ said:

You can buy a cheap set of xt60 pigtails and just literally solder two straight to the board edge pads. Then bridge the p_on pin to ground or add a switch for it. ez beef psu.

This is information that would greatly help me, too.  Can you scrounge up a picture of how to keep it on an "on" state?

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

I believe "standby" is always avaliable while the psu is plugged in.  It allows things like WOL and usb charging while system is off.

WHAT is powered I really dont know and it probably varies by psu.

For me I decided to do the supermicro psu and am going to hunt down a distribution board.  Ill just have to play multimeter bingo till I find the right wires.

The supermicro PSUs are usually relabeled Compuware PSUs, so the 920W one is probably virtually identical to https://www.compuware-us.com/Productdetail/CDR-9211-2M1 So check if the pinout possibly matches: Datasheet_CDR-9211-2M1 (1).pdf

The biggest issue with these PSUs is that the Tyco (TE these days) connectors they use are often unobtanium and are only made to order.

Thats super helpful!

I had no idea about the rebrand but have a couple sitting around as spares and figured using one wouldnt hurt.  Its also the reason I dont want to solder to the pins so I can put it back in a server if the need ever arises.

I did find a distribution board that looks promising.  Basically I have 2 8 pins and a mess of 4 pin molex to work with.  I belive my bed heater is ~220watts but I dont think an 8pin pcie and a 4 pin molex are enough to SAFELY and reliably run it.  True that while in a heated insulated enclosure the bed will not have to run constantly I worry it will still overdraw....  Probably 2 molex and the 8 pin for the bed and then the other 8pin for the 100watt enclosure heater.

Pcie 8pin 150watt max

+

Molex 4pin 75 watt max

=

225 watt max