Upscaled 1080p to 4K vs native 1440p

Protomesh

Title. 

Would 1080p upscaled to 4K look worse than native 1440p? 

Also would 1080p upscaled to 4K result in higher performance (fps) compared to native 1440p?

Or is native 1440p just better?

I really can't any tests comparing the two head to head... It's always 1440p to 4k. 

Your question is a bit confusing. 1080p upscale to 4k is still just 1080p essentially. 1440p rendered at 1440p is obviously going to be better. 

7 hours ago, Protomesh said:

Would 1080p upscaled to 4K look worse than native 1440p? 

That depends what upscale you use if it's FSR than could be worse but if you use DLSS it will be better.

DLSS performance at 4K rendering game exactly at 1080p while DLSS quality at 1440p is still be below 1080p rendering.
Better input resolution mean better output resolution upscale. DLSS upscale very well from 1080p input resolution even from 720p is not bad result but anything below is terrible.

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Your question is a bit confusing. 1080p upscale to 4k is still just 1080p essentially. 1440p rendered at 1440p is obviously going to be better. 

Okay but do you think there is still a performance benefit to upscaling 1080p to 4k?

3 hours ago, Winterlight said:

That depends what upscale you use if it's FSR than could be worse but if you use DLSS it will be better.

DLSS performance at 4K rendering game exactly at 1080p while DLSS quality at 1440p is still be below 1080p rendering.
Better input resolution mean better output resolution upscale. DLSS upscale very well from 1080p input resolution even from 720p is not bad result but anything below is terrible.

Well I have AMD but I wouldn't be using FSR... I would be using VSR because the games I plan to play don't have FSR support.

Edit: or I guess it's RSR ? idk which is better. VSR or RSR

Edited by Protomesh

8 hours ago, Protomesh said:

Well I have AMD but I wouldn't be using FSR... I would be using VSR because the games I plan to play don't have FSR support.

That sounds like you are not talking about upscaling at all but rendering at 4k and then using that to outputting at 1080p aka supresolution. Totally different that upscaling 1080p to 4k. 

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

That sounds like you are not talking about upscaling at all but rendering at 4k and then using that to outputting at 1080p aka supresolution. Totally different that upscaling 1080p to 4k. 

Nah RSR is forcing FSR like upscaling on games not supporting FSR. The downside is you get your HUD and other UI kind of stuff upscaled along with everything else on RSR while if a game supports FSR that stuff won't get upscaled.

RSR can't do miracles. Using it to upscale 1080p to 4k doesn't look anywhere near as good as native 1440p does on my 4k panel. But with my gpu (RX 6700 XT) RSR upscaling 1440p to 4k really does look awesome while still running at basically the same performance as native 1440p. Definitely looks better than native 1440p on my 4k panel. I played Control using RSR to upscale 1080p to 4k because I wanted to be able to use raytraced reflections and raytraced glass reflections and it always looked 1080p to me. Whereas Cyberpunk upscaled from 1440p to 4k really looks awesome.

16 hours ago, Protomesh said:

You're talking about RSR. I love it, I use it in every game I play that doesn't have FSR support and that I can't run at 4k (which is pretty much every relatively recent AAA game on a 6700 XT). But mostly use it for 1440p to 4k and 1800p to 4k upscale, which gives outstanding results.