New enthusiast build, but in a large horizontal case, because I hate towers

Smithfield
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I don't know if I would be comfortable putting a monitor on top of it, but I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q

It is very sturdy, though.

Budget (including currency): I am an enthusiast, what's a budget? I would like to know of prices in US dollars.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Full backwards (and hopefully forwards) compatibly with any and all software under the sun.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Will go with an AMD processor, a Zen 4 X3D variant whenever those release. Mainly because Intel CPUs are basically NetBurst all over again right now. A PCIe Gen V graphics card, whenever those finally release. 8 TB PCIe Gen V NVMe SSD when that finally releases (I do not want to worry about storage being slow or having too little of it, honestly, if I can get more, I would appreciate it). Obviously, I will need an X670E motherboard or something similar.

However, while all of those components are easy to find, because I pretty much know exactly what to look for, I still need a case to put everything in. One problem, most cases are meant to be vertical towers, which I hate, they are a problem. I actually need a horizontal case, mainly because they are far easier to work with. Basically, the exact case I am looking for are the ones used in low-end business PCs, ones where they sit horizontally across the desk, and you can put your monitor on top of, except much bigger, to have much more thermal and space headroom for enthusiast components. When all is said and done, having a case I can put my monitor right on top of would be great. Please help me find the exact case(s) I am looking for.

Hello! I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend, but check out the NZXT H9 series cases, they're horizontal, and really good to work with. Hope this helps!

why is my quest. why do you need to put the monitor on top? do you need 5.25 bays? you say cooling but dont go in to any details really.

there are case that can turn sideways... but cant think of ones that are made that way...

if you like just horizontal case that's fine. i have one but its not small at all... can fit 4x 480 rad in it...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, Smithfield said:

I actually need a horizontal case, mainly because they are far easier to work with.

Oh boy youre building like Linus in that you attempt to fight gravity? Just lay it down horizontally when youre building it and then lay it upright again when youre getting to the part of cable management which is the only part you really need to fight gravity. Cable management holes have been more and more plentiful for the past decade too, so the horizontal case benefit on that diminishes.

56 minutes ago, si1enze said:

I don't know if I would be comfortable putting a monitor on top of it, but I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q

It is very sturdy, though.

Pretty much the only horizontal case that isnt just straight up SFF like Fractal Ridge or ssupd Meshlicious.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Gravity is the main reason. Vertical PCs are placed under a lot of stress caused by gravity. Especially hot and heavy graphics cards, those can actually make the PCI Express slot come loose and not work. Not to mention, I once used to emulate Persona 3 FES on a low-end business machine that had a Core i3 with integrated graphics. So despite those machines not being capable, it did end up giving me a certain level of nostalgia toward horizontal PCs in general.

6 minutes ago, Smithfield said:

Gravity is the main reason. Vertical PCs are placed under a lot of stress caused by gravity. Especially hot and heavy graphics cards, those can actually make the PCI Express slot come loose and not work. Not to mention, I once used to emulate Persona 3 FES on a low-end business machine that had a Core i3 with integrated graphics. So despite those machines not being capable, it did end up giving me a certain level of nostalgia toward horizontal PCs in general.

I got the case I ilnked when I upgraded to a Gigabyte triple fan 2070 Super, I don't like the idea of the strain on the pci-e slot either.  I removed the SATA interface pcb behind the modular bays at the lower right of the case and just ran normal SATA cables and power, I don't trust it.  That and the weight of it is my only gripe.