CPU and DRAM Lights on MOBO - Replaced Several Parts and No Change

deauua
Go to solution Solved by sailsman63,
  • Have you been able to test with a different PSU?
  • Have you tried a bench-build outside of the case?
  • Try disconnecting all peripheral stuff: USB headers, power/reset buttons, front-panel audio jacks. If it boots with them gone, add back in one at a time until you find the one that's broken.

My PC was running totally fine for about two years, but now the DRAM and CPU lights are lit solid red on the MOBO and there is no signal at all being sent to the monitor. The first thing I did was replace the CMOS battery, but that didn't do anything. I then panic-bought a new motherboard and CPU (exact replacements of the ones I already had installed) thinking surely one of those two parts would be to blame, but after replacing both of those things, the issue is still there. Same two lights on the MOBO.

I have also tried:

• powering on the pc with each stick of RAM tested individually in each RAM slot
  • completely replacing the RAM with two brand new sticks in case they somehow both became defective
  • powering on with the GPU uninstalled
  • replacing the PSU
  • powering on with no drives plugged in

Through all of these tests, both lights were lit solid red each time I powered up the PC.

I have rebuilt the entire PC at least three times by now, and I closely inspected my CPU and the socket on the MOBO, but I couldn't find anything that didn't look right. The ONLY thing I haven't replaced is the GPU, but the lights are both still on with it uninstalled, and I would think that if the issue actually was the GPU that the VGA light would be lit up on the motherboard instead of the CPU and DRAM. I have no idea what to do next.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO: ASRock B550M
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 2x8GB
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W 80+ Gold

• Try disconnecting all peripheral stuff: USB headers, power/reset buttons, front-panel audio jacks. If it boots with them gone, add back in one at a time until you find the one that's broken.

1 minute ago, sailsman63 said:

I replaced the PSU completely, but I haven't done a bench-build test. I didn't think USB headers or any of that stuff could be responsible for this type of problem, but I'll try that soon and see what happens. Thank you for your reply

Sometimes your GPU will cause this, try it with a different one if you have another to try it with.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Just now, sailsman63 said:

Just now, Beerzerker said:

Sometimes your GPU will cause this, try it with a different one if you have another to try it with.

Soooo.... I did the test bench thing and the DRAM and CPU lights were still lit up... for like 10 seconds. And then it switched to the VGA and BOOT lights. So I plugged my boot drive in and connected my GPU to a monitor... and sure enough it booted up into Windows. So I put everything into the case and then plugged in things to the MOBO one at a time to find the issue. Except I didn't find the issue. I plugged in every single cable just as I had before multiple times, but this time the PC booted like normal all the way into Windows, and I'm posting this from the PC right now. SO, I'm very glad that it's working now, but I still have no idea what was wrong with it to begin with.