Is there a way to limit Windows file transfer speeds to and from NAS?

steelo

Hi,

I'm noticing whenever I try to transfer a large file to or from my NAS, my internet connection slows to a near-stop. Unfortunately, I am very limited with my wired powerline connection between my downstairs router and my PC upstairs (I get maybe 30-40mpbs and I gave up on wifi since it is unreliable between floors) so bandwidth is at a premium. Is there any way to limit file transfer speeds to say, 10 mbps so that the remaining bandwidth can be utilized for other online applications?

There should be ways to improve that powerline connection.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

8 minutes ago, leclod said:

There should be ways to improve that powerline connection.

Unfortunately, even if I did improve the connection, it seems Windows would utilize every bit of it for file transfers. Wifi is even worse as far as speeds (with the added aggravation of random dropped connections) When I'm not transferring files, my connection is plenty fast to connect to my office VM, have video conferences and use a chat for work. It's just aggravating whenever I try to transfer a file to my network drive, everything comes to a screeching halt.

I'm sure there is a third party file management application where you can throttle transfers?

16 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm sure there is a third party file management application where you can throttle transfers?

If you have the option to transfer files through sshfs/sftp (or ftp), you could use e.g. FileZilla. It has the option to set a transfer speed limit.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you have the option to transfer files through sshfs/sftp (or ftp), you could use e.g. FileZilla. It has the option to set a transfer speed limit.

Took me a minute to become reacquainted with FileZilla, but works perfectly. Thanks!

1 minute ago, dkoudijs said:

This shoud give you what you are looking for. So put in the IP of your nas in tthe dest setting. This way only the smb traffic will be slowed down.

https://woshub.com/limit-network-file-transfer-speed-windows/

Thank you, when I'm feeling a little more brave, I may try this. For now, FileZilla does what I need it to. I don't transfer large files often, it was just annoying having to walk away for 5-10 minutes because everything that required a network/internet connection became unusable.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:40 PM, steelo said:

Unfortunately, even if I did improve the connection, it seems Windows would utilize every bit of it for file transfers.

I've never seen these issues with 1Gbit+ connections.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator