Hard drive doesn't work and makes computer unresponsive (Maybe corrupt?)

RioPlayz

As of recently my hard drive has stopped working for no reason, it appears in file explorer but it doesn't display how much space is left on it and when i ever i click on it it crashs file explorer (see img below)

Task manager says the disk usage is constantly at 100% (img below)
I have tried chkdsk but it returned a message saying that it can not check RAW file system

When i go to check disk management it doesn't open aswell and is completely unresponsive (img below)

Keep in mind this is a pretty old hard drive and i wouldn't be surprised if it just died but i hope there is something i can do to fix this since it does have some files that i want.

I fully expect the drive to just be dead and I'll probably just remove it but hey if there is a way to fix it or retrieve the data that would be helpful.

I run 2 hard drives
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB

and a very old 320gb western digital one too (which is the one i am talking about)

image.thumb.png.ad893a5728ee3ee95685f01614a73eed.png

image.thumb.png.a5a47a234c36aadb5f6820154ad34e9b.png

An actual mechanical HDD? How old is it?  There’s a program called crystaldiskinfo that will show you a lot of hard drive stats.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is the drive emitting any strange sounds, or does it sound like it's operating normally?

Thinking about it, yeah sometimes i would hear very strange noises so its probably it.

Do you think it's dead?

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

An actual mechanical HDD? How old is it?  There’s a program called crystaldiskinfo that will show you a lot of hard drive stats.

Hate to admit, probably more than 10 years old?

I don't know why I still even have it installed.

and i recon it will just crash the program like it does to any program that tries to read off of it like it did with file explorer and disk management

21 minutes ago, RioPlayz said:

Thinking about it, yeah sometimes i would hear very strange noises so its probably it.

Do you think it's dead?

It's certainly dying. I'd probably hope there's nothing important on it, and say goodbye.

If you want to destroy the data on it, you can drill a hole through the drive platters.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Time to try imaging it on linux with ddrescue.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, RioPlayz said:

Do you think it's dead?

SSDs wear by number of writes.  HDDs wear by number of revolutions, which can more accurately be compared to time.  A HDD is usually good for about 5 years of use.  An SSD can last anywhere from a few months to a few decades depending on whether or not things get written to it.  Both have a limited lifespan.  SSDs usually fail into a read-only state though which is potentially not as damaging.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.