Jagged edges, Shimmering (e.g. water), Pixelated hair in MOST Games

Hey!

For the last 2 years or so I've been struggling with some graphical issues occuring in my playthroughs of various video games on my new PC. Jagged edges, pixelated hair, water, sometimes reflections.

I tried many fixes that I found on the internet but none of them helped. That includes:

- Updating, Downgrading, Reinstalling drivers

- Messing with Antialiasing options in the NVidia Control Panel

- Using NVidia's overlay to sharpen or desharpen visuals

- Messing with In-Game AA Options (I was able to make it look better in some cases, but wouldn't count it as a FIX)

- Cleaning the Graphics card, removing it, putting it back again

- Checking how it looks on different monitors (1366x768 Samsung, 4K Philips TV)

- Changing HDMI to DisplayPort with different cables

- more which I don't exactly remember now

At first I thought that it was due to my old monitor not working well together with a newer graphics card, so I upgraded and got the 1080p treatment I finally deserved. 

Got dissapointed though, as the issues still occured.

Seems like every game I play has this noisy overlay on top of it that somehow jaggs (if that's a term) the edges of the games, over-sharpens it. They just don't render right.

What could be the cause? How do I fix this? If I change my graphics card will the issue still occur?

I attached some screenshots & videos. I need help!!

Here's a list of some games I had these issues with:

- RDR2

- Stray

- GTA 4 & V

- Marvel's Spider-Man (& Miles Morales)

- Mount & Blade II Bannerlord

- Final Fantasy XV

- No Man's Sky

- Dying Light

- Shadow Warrior 2&3

- Skyrim

- Minecraft

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Rainbow Six Siege

And here's my machine:

AORUS B450 ELITE
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte GTX 1660 6GB

32GB RAM G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000Mhz (4x8GB)

Monitor:
Acer VG240YS 165Hz

Do we get any images of the issue or do we have to just imagine what the issue looks like.

10 minutes ago, yungfuji16 said:

Hey!

For the last 2 years or so I've been struggling with some graphical issues occuring in my playthroughs of various video games on my new PC. Jagged edges, pixelated hair, water, sometimes reflections.

I tried many fixes that I found on the internet but none of them helped. That includes:

- Updating, Downgrading, Reinstalling drivers

- Messing with Antialiasing options in the NVidia Control Panel

- Using NVidia's overlay to sharpen or desharpen visuals

- Messing with In-Game AA Options (I was able to make it look better in some cases, but wouldn't count it as a FIX)

- Cleaning the Graphics card, removing it, putting it back again

- Checking how it looks on different monitors (1366x768 Samsung, 4K Philips TV)

- Changing HDMI to DisplayPort with different cables

- more which I don't exactly remember now

At first I thought that it was due to my old monitor not working well together with a newer graphics card, so I upgraded and got the 1080p treatment I finally deserved. 

Got dissapointed though, as the issues still occured.

Seems like every game I play has this noisy overlay on top of it that somehow jaggs (if that's a term) the edges of the games, over-sharpens it. They just don't render right.

What could be the cause? How do I fix this? If I change my graphics card will the issue still occur?

I attached some screenshots & videos. I need help!!

Here's a list of some games I had these issues with:

- RDR2

- Stray

- GTA 4 & V

- Marvel's Spider-Man (& Miles Morales)

- Mount & Blade II Bannerlord

- Final Fantasy XV

- No Man's Sky

- Dying Light

- Shadow Warrior 2&3

- Skyrim

- Minecraft

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Rainbow Six Siege

And here's my machine:

AORUS B450 ELITE
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte GTX 1660 6GB

32GB RAM G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000Mhz (4x8GB)

Monitor:
Acer VG240YS 165Hz

my main reason for upgrading to 1440p was the jagged edges, yes mostly its a TAA and sharpening thing, but honestly it all went away when i went above 1080p

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Do we get any images of the issue or do we have to just imagine what the issue looks like.

I did attach them, but for some reason didn't go through -_- I'll try here.

yeah it seems like you just have no AA in any of the games.

1080p isnt a very high res but even so it shouldn't look as if the AA is turned off entirely. Have you tried nuking the software entirely and just reinstalling windows? and or tried a different gpu? I don't think little fixes are going to do anything so time to do bigger changes to see if anything is affected.

34 minutes ago, yungfuji16 said:

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to totally uninstall your graphics drivers, then install the newest version. Let us know if that makes any difference.

I haven't tried a different GPU, don't think I'll be able to unfortunately 😕 I'll try DDU first and let yall know!

1 hour ago, Unhelpful said:

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to totally uninstall your graphics drivers, then install the newest version. Let us know if that makes any difference.

DDU didn't work 😕 Tried it just now and checked in M&B, GTA 4 and Cyberpunk and the issue's still here. I guess I'll try reinstalling Windows later.

Is there anything else I could do/check?

20230314154932_1.jpg

3 hours ago, yungfuji16 said:

Yeah all im seeing here is just stairstepping nitpicks. No other way to solve it than to max out AA and pray for the best.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I'm pretty sure this normal. I still see ultra fine jaggies in Cyberpunk on 1440p ultrawide with everything turned up. What settings do you run on the games you've posted? 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

10 minutes ago, P e r s e p h o n e said:

I'm pretty sure this normal. I still see ultra fine jaggies in Cyberpunk on 1440p ultrawide with everything turned up. What settings do you run on the games you've posted? 

Depends on a game. I ran GTA 4 and M&B on max settings and Antialiasing set to 16. I had the option to set the resolution higher for GTA, but it didn't change much. Cyberpunk - Low/Medium Settings, but with Aliasing on 16 too. When playing Spider-Man (Medium/High Settings) I actually turn Aliasing down to 8, because it somehow makes it a bit smoother.

3 minutes ago, yungfuji16 said:

Depends on a game. I ran GTA 4 and M&B on max settings and Antialiasing set to 16. I had the option to set the resolution higher for GTA, but it didn't change much. Cyberpunk - Low/Medium Settings, but with Aliasing on 16 too. When playing Spider-Man (Medium/High Settings) I actually turn Aliasing down to 8, because it somehow makes it a bit smoother.

One problem I see visually is that everything seems to run on a low texture resolution. That might be the issue or might be a VRAM issue. At least with GTA4 and Cyberpunk. With both games I think that's understandable. GTA4 is old and Cyberpunk is heavy to run full textures on a GTX1660. 

Though taking a second look at the visual glitches on water in M&B might make think otherwise. If the water glitches are limited to that game, I'd probably say that's more M&B. No offense to their team, but they've always been a bit looser with their optimization. 

Try running cyberpunk with higher textures and keeping other settings lower and see if that makes a difference. Even if it's not playable at least you'll know what the problem is. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

3 hours ago, P e r s e p h o n e said:

One problem I see visually is that everything seems to run on a low texture resolution. That might be the issue or might be a VRAM issue. At least with GTA4 and Cyberpunk. With both games I think that's understandable. GTA4 is old and Cyberpunk is heavy to run full textures on a GTX1660. 

Though taking a second look at the visual glitches on water in M&B might make think otherwise. If the water glitches are limited to that game, I'd probably say that's more M&B. No offense to their team, but they've always been a bit looser with their optimization. 

Try running cyberpunk with higher textures and keeping other settings lower and see if that makes a difference. Even if it's not playable at least you'll know what the problem is. 

Cyberpunk on Ultra does make this issue a little bit less apparent, but it's still there. If I could play like this I wouldn't really mind I think. I could turn on AMD FSR to get better performance, but it does bring the res down and the edges get sharper anyway.

Regarding the water issues - M&B suffers the most from this but there are similar issues in Cyberpunk (see attached videos).

7 hours ago, emosun said:

yeah it seems like you just have no AA in any of the games.

1080p isnt a very high res but even so it shouldn't look as if the AA is turned off entirely. Have you tried nuking the software entirely and just reinstalling windows? and or tried a different gpu? I don't think little fixes are going to do anything so time to do bigger changes to see if anything is affected.

I've used DDU and reinstalled Windows and I think it helped with something else entirely. I got a huge performance boost in Spider-Man and I can now play on Ultra with (kinda) stable 60fps. Pretty cool, but still, the jagged edges do not give up (see attached vid).

Note: Every game shown is on Maxed out settings.

Look like texture filtering and AA filter related. Try max out anisotropic filtering in Nvidia Control panel globally and per game. 
Or use the High Quality preset. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Look like texture filtering and AA filter related. Try max out anisotropic filtering in Nvidia Control panel globally and per game. 
Or use the High Quality preset. 

Tried it, doesn't help 😕 Barely any difference.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:53 PM, yungfuji16 said:

Tried it, doesn't help 😕 Barely any difference.

Oof.. I would like to welcome you to the existing club.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 3 months later...

Hi! I'd like to sign up to the no AA club... I've been struggling with this issue for a year too... I used to think it was some kind of incompatibility problem with my old hardware and new GPU but I just Upgraded to a Ryzen 5600g and found out problem persists with the GPU (ASUS GTX 1650OC). If I remove the gpu and just depend on integrated CPU graphics performance is quite lower but it looks SO much better... I Wish anyone could figure this one out...

• 8 months later...

Has anyone found the solution to this? I have the same problem but on AMD. Like exactly the same across multiple games.

Get a higher resolution display and make use of AA if you're bothered by jaggies. 1080p isn't high resolution btw. Also, some games have jaggies and shimmering no matter how high your resolution is or how much AA you're using simply because the AA is implemented badly, for example Dark Souls 3. Final Fantasy 16 is a good example of shimmering, even in 4K using TAA.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.