Receiver Powers Off When Volume is Turned Up?

Hi everyone,

I inherited a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Tower II speakers and I am trying to use them with my Yamaha RX-V385 receiver.

However, when playing audio through this system and turning the volume up to a pretty reasonable level, the receiver automatically powers off. This is not the first receiver I have had this happen with when setting it up with these speakers.

I am an absolute noob when it comes to home audio so if anyone could explain why this is happening like I am 5 years old, I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Make sure speaker impedance is properly set in speaker setup. The rating should be on a label on the back of the speakers.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Seems those speakers have poor impedance characteristics, so yeah could trip things up.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/cambridge-soundworks-tower-ii-101.html

We found, however, that the measured impedance of the system was less than 8 ohms over most of the audio range. It was between 3 and 4 ohms from 90 Hz to 1.5 kHz, and except at the bass resonance frequency of 50 Hz, where the impedance hit 15 ohms, it did not reach 8 ohms at any frequency. Although, technically speaking, the Tower II should be considered a 4-ohm speaker from the standpoint of amplifier compatibility

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

what gage wire are you using and what distance. avr is shutting down to protect itself....

and as others have said those speakers ohm rating as it is is all over the place. testing showed the different speakers all have different ohm ratings.

check the wiring and crossover inside the towers maybe a bad board or connection isnt right and shows the issue at higher volume

5 hours ago, circeseye said:

what gage wire are you using and what distance. avr is shutting down to protect itself....

and as others have said those speakers ohm rating as it is is all over the place. testing showed the different speakers all have different ohm ratings.

check the wiring and crossover inside the towers maybe a bad board or connection isnt right and shows the issue at higher volume

16 gauge wire. Probably no more than 3 feet.

7 hours ago, robertmorison said:

16 gauge wire. Probably no more than 3 feet.

that gage at that distance should be fine. it has to be the speakers. or the avr just doesnt like the speakers ohm mismatch

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the Yamaha's let you set the speaker ohm to 6 ohms, rather than 8ohms, in the settings. You could try that, but you may want to get some new speakers. Does the amp have a warning message on the display when you turn it back on?