Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw Demo looks rough

dragonhart6505

Just played the demo on livestream and I cannot get over the textures. Maybe because it's just a demo/crunch time, but if on release the game looks like the OG Xbox version at 1440p max settings +/- RTX as it does now (though it plays very well on my system, listed below) it's gonna be a hard sell for me. I am in no way a visuals junky, but I've played RE4 already and they're gonna have to really shake things up positively in the story to have me overlook these graphics in 2023.

R5 5600x

RTX 2080ti Gaming OC 11gb

16gb 3600MT/s DDR4 2x8GB

MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX

Just play the original in 4k on emulator or something?  this is just a cheap cash grab. RE is dead simply as that. If you want to play a cool survival horror game with modern looks i recommend Fatal Frame (4+5) even though the older games also look dope on emulator at 4k, the graphics are surprisingly clean.

ps: 

57 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Just played the demo on livestream

you did what? Explain.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Just play the original in 4k on emulator or something?  this is just a cheap cash grab. RE is dead simply as that. If you want to play a cool survival horror game with modern looks i recommend Fatal Frame (4+5) even though the older games also look dope on emulator at 4k, the graphics are surprisingly clean.

I don't think we've played the same recent RE releases, but I know what you're getting at and it's not entirely wrong

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ps: 

you did what? Explain.

streamed the game on Twitch/Youtube/Facebook (to a whopping 0 audience over the hour long event)

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

...Fatal Frame...

Ahhhh, yes...Logan Paul simulator, I hadn't forgotten about the series but I also haven't had much interest since halfway through playing Black Water. Could be ripe time to jump back on it, as well as the Silent Hill games I've missed out on.

2 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Ahhhh, yes...Logan Paul simulator, I hadn't forgotten about the series but I also haven't had much interest since halfway through playing Black Water. Could be ripe time to jump back on it, as well as the Silent Hill games I've missed out on.

i get it, its not for everyone,  and some long time fans didn't like it as much? (honestly i only played 2+3 on emulator before and loved it!) And i think they really did a good job with 5... its a slow start i guess(?) but once i got into it i couldn't stop playing haha

The final boss is something else! (no spoilers) 

2 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

I don't think we've played the same recent RE releases, but I know what you're getting at and it's not entirely wrong

probably not. to me RE is that weird cheesy 3rd person "horror shooter" thing with quirky puzzles, and that indeed just doesn't exist anymore outside of  the odd "remakes" (i did like 1 + 2 remakes for sure, 3 was "ok" but not great)

So yeah  until they go back to the original formula it just doesn't exist for me anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/11/2023 at 9:45 PM, dragonhart6505 said:

I am in no way a visuals junky, but I've played RE4 already and they're gonna have to really shake things up positively in the story to have me overlook these graphics in 2023.

What "shake things up" were you expecting?

but if on release the game looks like the OG Xbox version at 1440p max settings +/- RTX as it does now (though it plays very well on my system, listed below) it's gonna be a hard sell for me. I am in no way a visuals junky, but I've played RE4 already and they're gonna have to really shake things up positively in the story to have me overlook these graphics in 2023.

I have to disagree. I can't look at the comparison and conclude it's just some high-res textures and RT. You can see there is definitely more to it than that:

The "problem" is that the original (GameCube) and its HD remake (e.g. on the Xbox 360) already looked really good.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:41 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Just play the original in 4k on emulator or something?  this is just a cheap cash grab. RE is dead simply as that.

Why is it a cheap cash grab? For me Resident Evil is one of those series that should be left alone for the most part for remakes. A modern version of otherwise the same game is exactly what I want. Gameplay and things can be changed to reflect better modern approaches, but the story and everything can be left as is. Leave new things for new installments. If they can do that, I think RE4make will be a banger. I actually loved 8, partly since it was so reminiscent of 4 and the story wasn't that bad either (for RE standards).

RE in general is a mess, but it's an enjoyable mess (for me at least). The movies or series adaptations perfectly demonstrate what happens if you deviate too far from that mess.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, tikker said:

I have to disagree. I can't look at the comparison and conclude it's just some high-res textures and RT. You can see there is definitely more to it than that:

Yeah...so about those "high-res textures" though (1440p/Max Preset/RT Off) 🤔

205615666_DesktopScreenshot2023_03.12-16_31_42_55.thumb.png.e8cece894556a123223453e831f35d73.png1444320027_DesktopScreenshot2023_03.12-16_36_02_49.thumb.png.b27aa35d4edc3bbde947060b025704b3.png

1 hour ago, tikker said:

Cont.

589466529_DesktopScreenshot2023_03.12-16_35_15_08.thumb.png.16975f831e969e238ed11aaa9395435c.png1884629367_DesktopScreenshot2023_03.12-16_36_42_43.thumb.png.533413977f51674a7dec9f554c2da285.png

1 hour ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Yeah...so about those "high-res textures" though (1440p/Max Preset/RT Off) 🤔

205615666_DesktopScreenshot2023_03.12-16_31_42_55.thumb.png.e8cece894556a123223453e831f35d73.png1444320027_DesktopScreenshot2023_03.12-16_36_02_49.thumb.png.b27aa35d4edc3bbde947060b025704b3.png

And these screenshots show? To me they look good. You didn't answer what "shake things up" you were expecting [edit] missed the bit about shake up being related to the story, but I also disagree there. Some things will probably change and I'm not against that, but "shake things up" level of story changes I don't think it needs[/edit]. There were definitely bits where the textures didn't look great (the ground in the scene with the axe falling at the end of the demo looked pretty bad for me when I played it), but I wasn't contesting that. I was contesting your point that it looks like the original version (or HD remake that you probably meant) with some RT added. Those screenshots of you do not look bad. For reference, this is what the original looked like compared to this year's remake:

Spoiler

re4-leon-arrives.jpg

image.thumb.png.c603a2b2d4e8facc6ca8c3170ed89a74.png

image.thumb.png.85b7cde836a47ee21fa7fc555fe270d9.png

This is what the HD remake looked like:

Spoiler

0036850.jpg

Even the 'HD project' fan project, which looks great, doesn't shake that by now a bit dated look of the game because there is more to it than just textures:

Spoiler

In terms of texture resolution it may be similar, and some assets worse to varying extents, but in my opinion the remake as a whole is quite a bit ahead of the original. It does have a different feel so far though, but I'm waiting for the full game to see how much that impacts things for me.  I would love to see the first installment in this engine as well actually (even though the REmake of that is pretty much perfection to me and the HD remaster of that is great), but that's probably not going to happen yet.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, tikker said:

And these screenshots show? To me they look good. You didn't answer what "shake things up" you were expecting [edit] missed the bit about shake up being related to the story, but I also disagree there. Some things will probably change and I'm not against that, but "shake things up" level of story changes I don't think it needs[/edit]. There were definitely bits where the textures didn't look great (the ground in the scene with the axe falling at the end of the demo looked pretty bad for me when I played it), but I wasn't contesting that. I was contesting your point that it looks like the original version (or HD remake that you probably meant) with some RT added. Those screenshots of you do not look bad. For reference, this is what the original looked like compared to this year's remake:

Hide contents

re4-leon-arrives.jpg

image.thumb.png.c603a2b2d4e8facc6ca8c3170ed89a74.png

image.thumb.png.85b7cde836a47ee21fa7fc555fe270d9.png

This is what the HD remake looked like:

Hide contents

0036850.jpg

Even the 'HD project' fan project, which looks great, doesn't shake that by now a bit dated look of the game because there is more to it than just textures:

Hide contents

In terms of texture resolution it may be similar, and some assets worse to varying extents, but in my opinion the remake as a whole is quite a bit ahead of the original. It does have a different feel so far though, but I'm waiting for the full game to see how much that impacts things for me.  I would love to see the first installment in this engine as well actually (even though the REmake of that is pretty much perfection to me and the HD remaster of that is great), but that's probably not going to happen yet.

You seem to be taking my “look like the original” comment at literal face value, and if I’m wrong by that I apologize. Those rocks, the trees, the doorways, the buildings, the hair, the FACE especially, anything you could be relatively aware of in the surroundings do not look like they represent the standard we should expect from a full-fledged remake release for 2023. I get that we shouldn’t hold such expectations on every release and the main aspects of the game have been improved (combat, cutscenes, atmosphere, inventory, dialogue, etc.) from what I’ve seen so far.

To each their own, but I cannot say I am impressed or blown away by what I’ve experienced visually.

Edit: as for “shake things up” I mean introducing something new and engaging other than treasure hunts and shooting galleries. Give me more history of the village, the people before the incident, make it more than just about “get the girl and gtfo.” There’s a lot of potential content left on the table from the original to explore.

17 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

You seem to be taking my “look like the original” comment at literal face value, and if I’m wrong by that I apologize. Those rocks, the trees, the doorways, the buildings, the hair, the FACE especially, anything you could be relatively aware of in the surroundings do not look like they represent the standard we should expect from a full-fledged remake release for 2023. I get that we shouldn’t hold such expectations on every release and the main aspects of the game have been improved (combat, cutscenes, atmosphere, inventory, dialogue, etc.) from what I’ve seen so far.

To each their own, but I cannot say I am impressed or blown away by what I’ve experienced visually.

Edit: as for “shake things up” I mean introducing something new and engaging other than treasure hunts and shooting galleries. Give me more history of the village, the people before the incident, make it more than just about “get the girl and gtfo.” There’s a lot of potential content left on the table from the original to explore.

Yeah  I took it rather literally. I just feel we have a lot of (hyperbolic example) "what's up with these PS2 level graphics" nowadays. It's not the perfect engine or visuals by any means, but I think people exaggerate how bad certain games look. What game would you say demonstrates the standards we should expect for a 2023 remake?

Blowing you away visually is hard for RE I'd say, because they rely on a more subtle atmosphere and have had multiple installments at the current level of graphical fidelity now. The RE2 and 3 remakes did visually impress me, because RE basically had never looked that good, but now that we're used to it I wasn't visually impressed by Village in the same way, for example. Same with 4 now. On the purely visual aspect the demo looked pretty much the same as Village to me, but combined with the atmosphere of the updated assets, lighting and simple nostalgia it looks like a banger to me.

I still have criticism. Movement felt a bit sluggish at times and the reloading, for example, felt abysmally slow to me.

In terms of expanding on the story, I can see that that may be a fun thing to try and do, but I hope they don't mess with it too much. RE's story isn't the greatest. Ignoring the movies and such, even the games themselves can have a hard time staying consistent. I think Capcom is on the right track by just remaking what is there (mostly), which admittedly banks on a lot of nostalgia from those who played the originals.

Just now, tikker said:

What game would you say demonstrates the standards we should expect for a 2023 remake?

Idk...there's a small game that came out a few years I played through more than a couple of times that just got a makeover. Simple combat, dark horror atmosphere with zombiesque enemies and linear storyline, very reminiscent of Resident Evil 4 which I believe was actually a very large inspiration for it's development. Maybe you've heard of it? Does "Dead Space" ring any bells for you?

Asinine delivery aside, many of the assets just look gross. The game doesn't look BAD and I never claimed it did, it just doesn't have the definition of what we've been spoiled by in even games released within the past few years. Tessellation, or the lack there of, is exceptionally poor. That blanket on the bed in a screenshot above...the wood planks...get up close to that stone entryway...where is the depth or detail?! There are going to be areas of the game we will revisit and even be locked into for extended periods where during whatever task we're currently doing we will notice these things. It's like a flat PNG thrown over the object mesh, it looks unfinished and considering it's close to release that could also be a likely contributing factor. Then again, it's SO CLOSE TO RELEASE that if that IS the case they really must be banking on those nostalgia glasses. Mine, however, are not so rose colored. Maybe I can chock it down to "demo doing demo things" but I had intended to preorder and stay as away as I can with my unhealthy Youtube habits to avoid spoiling the game for me (as in "what's different", not "what is Resident Evil 4"). I may still...or I'll wait for a few reviews and benchmarks. I'm not gonna miss out, I know how the story ends we all do. I'm gonna hold on to my hopes...but after this, a little more loosely.

I don't WANT to be one of "those guys" but I could actually turn down this game because the graphics didn't justify it. (Says the guy who has never and refuses to play Skyrim, Cyberpunk, Red Dead or Last of Us...just not my taste in games)

The game doesn't look BAD and I never claimed it did

many of the assets just look gross

to have me overlook these graphics in 2023

Sounds like you think it looks pretty bad for today.

Idk...there's a small game that came out a few years I played through more than a couple of times that just got a makeover. Simple combat, dark horror atmosphere with zombiesque enemies and linear storyline, very reminiscent of Resident Evil 4 which I believe was actually a very large inspiration for it's development. Maybe you've heard of it? Does "Dead Space" ring any bells for you?

Asinine delivery aside, many of the assets just look gross. The game doesn't look BAD and I never claimed it did, it just doesn't have the definition of what we've been spoiled by in even games released within the past few years. Tessellation, or the lack there of, is exceptionally poor. That blanket on the bed in a screenshot above...the wood planks...get up close to that stone entryway...where is the depth or detail?! There are going to be areas of the game we will revisit and even be locked into for extended periods where during whatever task we're currently doing we will notice these things. It's like a flat PNG thrown over the object mesh, it looks unfinished and considering it's close to release that could also be a likely contributing factor. Then again, it's SO CLOSE TO RELEASE that if that IS the case they really must be banking on those nostalgia glasses. Mine, however, are not so rose colored. Maybe I can chock it down to "demo doing demo things" but I had intended to preorder and stay as away as I can with my unhealthy Youtube habits to avoid spoiling the game for me (as in "what's different", not "what is Resident Evil 4"). I may still...or I'll wait for a few reviews and benchmarks. I'm not gonna miss out, I know how the story ends we all do. I'm gonna hold on to my hopes...but after this, a little more loosely.

I don't WANT to be one of "those guys" but I could actually turn down this game because the graphics didn't justify it. (Says the guy who has never and refuses to play Skyrim, Cyberpunk, Red Dead or Last of Us...just not my taste in games)

The Dead Space remake was amazing and even though there were changes it could've done without in my opinion, it is indeed a prime example of how to do a remake. It is an excellent work, but as you say yourself you are spoiled by some gems. That doesn't mean anything not reaching that bar is suddenly unacceptable.

If the graphics aren't up to your standards then that is fine. People's opinions and standards will differ. It doesn't seem to look as good as DSR from this demo, but it's not something I would call unacceptable for 2023.

Personally, I think the demo looked great.

Was it absolutely perfect?

No, but it was far from ugly.

One thing it did particularly well, I thought, even on the lowest setting(s) was the hair.

Hair can often look horrible, with all sorts of shimmering and blurring, but in the demo it looked very clean and high quality.

4 hours ago, tikker said:

If the graphics aren't up to your standards then that is fine. People's opinions and standards will differ. It doesn't seem to look as good as DSR from this demo, but it's not something I would call unacceptable for 2023.

Yeah, my standards have clearly changed since building this system. I've been used to barely making 60+ fps at 1080p/Medium-High where I can on far lesser hardware for the past decade probably (NOT an exaggeration this time.) I never cared for detail, stability and performance was more valuable to me. Now I can pump the settings and resolution in most everything current without needing to worry about FPS numbers to see what advancements I have been missing out on in terms of fidelity in games I for a fact wouldn't have even bothered with had I still been using a lower-end system like that. I'm playing Spiderman Remastered, God of War, Dying Light, Portal RTX, Doom Eternal, the REmakes, Control...I've been spoiled by a sudden opportunity (this build as "complete" is less than 2 months old) and maybe that oiled up the bar to the standards I used to have set for upcoming titles.

3 hours ago, Morrie Sells Wigs said:

Personally, I think the demo looked great.

Was it absolutely perfect?

No, but it was far from ugly.

One thing it did particularly well, I thought, even on the lowest setting(s) was the hair.

Hair can often look horrible, with all sorts of shimmering and blurring, but in the demo it looked very clean and high quality.

It could use more polish and until release we won't know how much of that will show. I can agree that stuff like hair looked good...we'll be staring at the back of this mans head for a good few hours and at least the jacket looks good too. Then you walk through the thick line of trees and are hit in the face with paper branches that fade in and out of reality and environment textures and shadows that have very little to no depth, jittery low-FPS flames (like at the bonfire in the village). I'm nitpicking, as I said above maybe I'm just too excited about the opportunities I have now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 1:25 AM, dragonhart6505 said:

It could use more polish and until release we won't know how much of that will show. I can agree that stuff like hair looked good...we'll be staring at the back of this mans head for a good few hours and at least the jacket looks good too. Then you walk through the thick line of trees and are hit in the face with paper branches that fade in and out of reality and environment textures and shadows that have very little to no depth, jittery low-FPS flames (like at the bonfire in the village). I'm nitpicking, as I said above maybe I'm just too excited about the opportunities I have now.

I agree, it's not perfect.

But, I do think it's far from an ugly game.