"Atomic Heart" feels like a Soviet Union Duke Nukem Forever x Bioshock Infinite ripoff

dragonhart6505

The flavor text...the out-of-pocket dialog...the unnecessary attempted-humor during serious scenes. The gameplay itself is fine for a typical story-based shooter, but an hour in and I am already checked out of it after 

Spoiler

the first few elevator sequences. Riding up to the office to get the car key...WHY IS THAT ELEVATOR SO FRIGGIN' LONG?! It's almost an entire minute of silence on the ride up just to leave after a 10 second interaction.  At least on the ride DOWN there's a conversation...but what was the point of that entire section being SOOOOOO drawn out?

That's just the FIRST elevator sequence. After another lengthy (but gorgeous) air ride cutscene that sets up the barebones "seen it before" plot (that I already have conclusions over because the story is predictable af), there's yet again an elevator that takes SOOOOOO LONG to crash!

And the character is literally just like *puffs cigarette* "ah, sh*t." I don't know if I'm gonna get into it and I haven't even fought a handful of enemies. I heard such good things about it, it looks absolutely beautiful and the mechanics are unique enough to add some kind of variety on an overall stale genre...but it doesn't play like what I expected and it's just a little too juvenile for my current tastes and it just might not be for me.

What are some other thoughts from you folks?

I can't help but feel the original trailer (from years and year ago) and original GFX were promising a much better experience than we got.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

17 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I don't like games that place markers so you can find stuff in a few seconds.

Which I actually appreciate as a loot hoarder, but as with the other complaints I’ve had so far there is SO MUCH to search through in some areas that it feels like that’s all there is to do…hold F to vacuum…and they still somehow messed THAT up where you’ll be aiming directly at desks or lockers and they don’t open but a tiiiiny little bit because you glanced over them just a few pixels too fast. Then you hold L-alt looking for the satisfied job you did scanning the whole place just to see like 10 drawers that didn’t loot.

The game is frustrating in the wrong areas. Minor complaints to some that make a huge difference to the immersion for others.

Never played the game yet but long rides in closed spaces are often used to load in new scenery of the game. You sure your system isn't the problem here? Esepcially if you install the game into an HDD, that upsets many new games.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Never played the game yet but long rides in closed spaces are often used to load in new scenery of the game. You sure your system isn't the problem here? Esepcially if you install the game into an HDD, that upsets many new games.

Nope…it’s on an SSD.

Ryzen 5600x

16gb Dual Channel 3600MT/s RAM

RTX 2080ti

It’s not loading, it feels like forced artificial filler.

21 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Nah the elevator scene is really long and if you noclip out you'll see the elevator moves very slowly up and down. Reminded me of old source engine maps where there were sections outside the regular skybox where you'd teleport in or ride an elevator to. It's done to reduce the clutter on a single layer and make use of the extra height.

Could be an engine limitation, if you make the elevator go faster the character could collide with it and take damage/fall off the map, who knows.

I initially thought this WAS a loading sequence, then you grab the key and just go back! There's nothing even intense going on up there. Yeah I get that it's a massive building but do you mean to tell me you crafted a futuristic mid-1950s alternative universe with floating cities, androids, holograms and sophisticated intelligence but haven't figured out a quicker way to get from floor 1 to floor 10 and back? I'd have done well with a simple cutscene like they've already done a dozen times before I even got into combat. There doesn't seem to be any constant to the fluidity of what's supposed to be an action packed story and I don't doubt there is plenty of action to be had later. I don't know if I have that kind of patience, and it took me 2 weeks to beat The Pursuer in Dark Souls 2 (judgement free zone xD)

56 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

I was excited for this game, but it was painfully slow and boring.

It's very much a second-hand/second-rate experience in almost every aspect...the middle sibling trying to do all the things the big kids do but with the maturity and intelligence the youngest kid has. I thought this was gonna be a Bethesda game akin to Bulletstorm until I looked further into it and that description I gave pretty much suits this title. Clunky and slow melee combat, slower ADS than most base weapons in Call of Duty with the hit detection to match, poor and predictable scenarios, some of the cringiest dialog I've heard in a while with 0 environmental detail/occlusion (anything dialog related outside of phone calls sounds like I'm just listening to a podcast)...it’s all around a cheap feeling experience.

I regret uninstalling Halo Infinite for the storage space