Have I fried my components?

masonator_89
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
2 minutes ago, masonator_89 said:

Fr? Even tho it posts to bios?

Reset CMOS battery and reboot 

this started with my graphics card removal.

So I shut my system down properly, turned off the PSU and unplugged my GPU, removed it, and took it apart to clean it thoroughly. All fine and well.

Put it back together and turned the system on and saw no post, okay.... Saw I left the GPU unplugged from the power cable. Whoops. I hastely plugged it in (with the system still on lmaoo whoops again) still no post, seems normal so I shut it down and turned it back on.

Now: I'll get the screen saying system shut down improperly press F1 for bios yadada but there shouldn't be anything changed in the bios. Save n exit, turn back on and it's just sitting on the Asus loading screen.

I turn on and off numerous more times, same thing, loading screen or it tells me the system was improperly powered off go into bios. I even defaulted bios settings to no avail. What's going on here?

I also now, sometimes, get the screen telling me there's a usb current overcharge so I unplug everything and still nothing works. Ideas?

-ive also removed the GPU and tried just the motherboard, the motherboard doesn't post whatsoever.

CPU: Intel i5 11600kf

CPU cooler: deepcool Castle aio

Motherboard:asus z590-p

Ram: Corsair 8x2 ddr4

SSD: WD black sn770

GPU: Asus 2060

PSU: EVGA (4 years old?)

I think you borked your motherboard.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

I think you borked your motherboard.

If it gets to the bios that isn’t the issue I don’t think. Personally I don’t think there would be an issue if there was no spark, noise or anything from the connector when you plugged the gpu back in 

Does the bios show through the gpu or only on the onboard graphics?

2 minutes ago, masonator_89 said:

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, Nulltooth23 said:

If it gets to the bios that isn’t the issue I don’t think. Personally I don’t think there would be an issue if there was no spark, noise or anything from the connector when you plugged the gpu back in 

Does the bios show through the gpu or only on the onboard graphics?

On board graphics doesn't post. I'll try again right now, but my screen only lights up through the graphics card?

Just now, PDifolco said:

I tried that but I will try again for good measure 

Just now, masonator_89 said:

On board graphics doesn't post. I'll try again right now, but my screen only lights up through the graphics card?

Your pc doesn’t have integrated graphics I just realised so in the fact it gets to the bios with the gpu then that probably isn’t the issue 

I tried that but I will try again for good measure 

Make sure the system has no power when doing this(and let it drain of power), otherwise the CMOS chip will not be reset.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

12 minutes ago, masonator_89 said:

I also now, sometimes, get the screen telling me there's a usb current overcharge so I unplug everything and still nothing works. Ideas?

-ive also removed the GPU and tried just the motherboard, the motherboard doesn't post whatsoever.

I'm sorry... Are you saying that if you have a graphics card in your machine, it will allow you into the bios, but if you don't have a GPU installed the system won't even turn on?

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Make sure the system has no power when doing this(and let it drain of power), otherwise the CMOS chip will not be reset.

Shut off and unplugged the PSU, took the battery out. I'll give it a good minute to reset itself

1 minute ago, shoutingsteve said:

I'm sorry... Are you saying that if you have a graphics card in your machine, it will allow you into the bios, but if you don't have a GPU installed the system won't even turn on?

System turns on without the GPU installed, but when I plug the display cable into the motherboards display port, nothing shows up on screen, PC still turns on though 

System turns on without the GPU installed, but when I plug the display cable into the motherboards display port, nothing shows up on screen, PC still turns on though 

Which makes sense, because that CPU has no integrated graphics.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 minutes ago, Nulltooth23 said:

Your pc doesn’t have integrated graphics I just realised so in the fact it gets to the bios with the gpu then that probably isn’t the issue 

Interesting, so the HDMI/display port outputs are on the motherboard just for show?

7 minutes ago, masonator_89 said:

Are you sure?:

16 minutes ago, masonator_89 said:

Save n exit, turn back on and it's just sitting on the Asus loading screen.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Interesting, so the HDMI/display port outputs are on the motherboard just for show?

You can install a CPU that does have integrated graphics present, so no. They are electrically connected to the socket.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Which makes sense, because that CPU has no integrated graphics.

I'm starting to remember now actually, I did buy it like that (thinking I'll never need integrated graphics)

Keep in mind everyone I've been off PC stuff for like a year while I've been busy, so I'm extremely rusty and newbie when I shouldn't be 😞

1 minute ago, masonator_89 said:

In your case yes, because your CPU doesn't support it.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Are you sure?:

Yes I'm sure. Sometimes it'll let me go to bios, but then upon exiting it'll sit on the Asus screen (no windows loading circle)

Just now, Vishera said:

In your case yes, because your CPU doesn't support it.

I know now. I'm an idiot, I forgot I bought the cpu without IG because I thought I'd never need it

1 minute ago, masonator_89 said:

Yes I'm sure. Sometimes it'll let me go to bios, but then upon exiting it'll sit on the Asus screen (no windows loading circle)

Considering your USB overcurrent and improper shutdown errors it does sound like a borked motherboard.

Okay after a full unplug and reset, here is what I'm now getting. What's my next step?

16784735368014927868288061895691.jpg

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Considering your USB overcurrent and improper shutdown errors it does sound like a borked motherboard.

It'd be nice to know for sure, I've got another year left on the warranty so I can still get a replacement thankfully 

3 minutes ago, masonator_89 said:

Okay after a full unplug and reset, here is what I'm now getting. What's my next step?

16784735368014927868288061895691.jpg

Enter setup, verify your boot drive is set up correctly, and save and exit the BIOS. Let it POST and try to boot.

Edited by Godlygamer23