Our Coolest Lab Equipment Yet - Environmental Chamber

James

With this latest addition to the LTT Labs arsenal we’ll show you if your technology will survive in the most extreme environments on Earth!

Pretty neat.

Halfway through when Linus playing with the shelves it did remind me of a big commercial kitchen oven or something 😄

Then I realized that it can get fairly hot and dry.... sooooo I guess my question is if can it make jerky as well? 

For real though, looking forward to all the data that will come out of that thing in the future. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

Seems too small IMO. You're going to have a hard time testing full desktop cases in there, never mind newer Xeon 2400/3400 rigs with dual PSU's. It's one thing to check individual components, but that won't give you the WHOLE picture of what a system is doing. That's why I went overkill with 5 chunky rads and 30 fans that can keep four GPU's for me running even in a 40C ambient and keep my delta under 15C.

Fingers crossed you guys will eventually move to a larger system that can accommodate the big CaseLabs cases like what I am running. At the end of the day though, if you've designed your rig right, you won't need equipment like this to get that stamp of approval.

Gotta love that mini usb port. Maybe they'll get USB C in by 2035.

image.png.f3b5d43bb075a64e8f3d5590d2fd5867.png

14 minutes ago, Luscious said:

You're going to have a hard time testing full desktop cases in there, never mind newer Xeon 2400/3400 rigs with dual PSU's.

I believe they're focusing on consumer electronics and at the end of the day this is good enough for most things, full desktop cases aren't that common, most people nowadays buy or build PC's in mid tower cases or smaller.

In response to the concern about the efficiency test of power supplies if they need extensions, I would suggest testing any power supply outside the machine and get a baseline. Then put it in the machine and replicate the environment in the lab, and test it again. This would give you a baseline decay just from use of extensions. If your control outside the machine is, and i assume you would rate efficiency on a percentage, what you would call 100%, and in the machine at baseline it is 80%, divide any further results by that 80% and you factor out the extension usage.

So if you get 65% in a high humid climate in your testing machine, then divide that by 80%, and you get a true rating of 81.25%. If a drier climate gets 110% of your baseline, then factoring out extensions gets you 137.5%, and so on.

you guys need to try ANC headphones in high humidity environments. i had 3 300€+ headphones start hissing and one had a weird bass boost on one side. turns out my house is too humid and the issues go away when i turn off ANC. the support told me how to remove the moisture out of the ANC microphones, but since the issue kept appearing on the new headphones after about a day i felt like it was an unreasonable amount of effort to keep them dry. really infuriating for such an expensive product. And my house isn't even that humid, only about 50%. air conditioning is not common in my country.
for reference they were sennheiser momentum 2.0 headphones, the over ear ones.

1 hour ago, dragonkyng said:

In response to the concern about the efficiency test of power supplies if they need extensions, I would suggest testing any power supply outside the machine and get a baseline. Then put it in the machine and replicate the environment in the lab, and test it again. This would give you a baseline decay just from use of extensions. If your control outside the machine is, and i assume you would rate efficiency on a percentage, what you would call 100%, and in the machine at baseline it is 80%, divide any further results by that 80% and you factor out the extension usage.

So if you get 65% in a high humid climate in your testing machine, then divide that by 80%, and you get a true rating of 81.25%. If a drier climate gets 110% of your baseline, then factoring out extensions gets you 137.5%, and so on.

There are plenty of ways to compensate for the losses introduced by cabling if you're using proper measurement equipment (like they are), so I wouldn't worry about that.

I think the bigger concern is that this setup isn't able to imitate all the industry standard temperature cycling tests, because I seem to recall Linus saying 5°C/minute. But some standards call for 10°C / minute ramping, especially if you wish to test those "military grade reliability" claims: MIL-STD 883 1010.9 specifies -55 to 85 °C or a 140°C delta that has be met within 16 minutes for a single chamber system if memory serves right. Granted, doing that usually ends up being more of a test for the climate chamber than for the DUT in the long run, but it could still limit the testing envelope.

Yeah the Easy-Bake Oven is cool, but can it LIFT BRO??? 

New warehouse game: Forky Tech Tips  - similar to the idea of cow tipping, but I TIP the TECH!

yours, 

Forky ( the coolest lab equipment x )

6 hours ago, Luscious said:

Seems too small IMO. You're going to have a hard time testing full desktop cases in there, never mind newer Xeon 2400/3400 rigs with dual PSU's. It's one thing to check individual components, but that won't give you the WHOLE picture of what a system is doing. That's why I went overkill with 5 chunky rads and 30 fans that can keep four GPU's for me running even in a 40C ambient and keep my delta under 15C.

Fingers crossed you guys will eventually move to a larger system that can accommodate the big CaseLabs cases like what I am running. At the end of the day though, if you've designed your rig right, you won't need equipment like this to get that stamp of approval.

those are low volume cases thru... neat cases but still.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Cant wait to see what info comes from this. I hope you guys are going to test headphones and their ability to stand up to hot and humid environments.

8 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

I think the bigger concern is that this setup isn't able to imitate all the industry standard temperature cycling tests, because I seem to recall Linus saying 5°C/minute. But some standards call for 10°C / minute ramping, especially if you wish to test those "military grade reliability" claims: MIL-STD 883 1010.9 specifies -55 to 85 °C or a 140°C delta that has be met within 16 minutes for a single chamber system if memory serves right. Granted, doing that usually ends up being more of a test for the climate chamber than for the DUT in the long run, but it could still limit the testing envelope.

They said they can feed dry ice into it to increase that temp decrease. Fill a connected tank with dry ice until the pressure is full, open the valve into the chamber and flood it with cold as CO2 and it should work

1 hour ago, dragonkyng said:

They said they can feed dry ice into it to increase that temp decrease. Fill a connected tank with dry ice until the pressure is full, open the valve into the chamber and flood it with cold as CO2 and it should work

These tests need to happen in a standard nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere though, so unless if it goes through a heat exchanger it's a nay. 😞 

Soo it cannot work with the absolute smallest ITX case in the world?

The Thermaltake mozart TX

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝