Looking for closed back headphones for casual/competitive gaming and music. 150 euro budget

msponer

I have done lots of research, but lots of videos and reviews kind of contradict one another, so I can't make a decision.

I'm looking for headphone under 150 euros, that sounds good when connected directly to pc/laptop, that is good for both casual and competitive gaming, while also being good for media.

From what I have read, the m40x and DT 770 pro would be the best, but I'm not sure. 

One final, question, how reputable is zeos reviews? I have seen his "Gaming Fidelity" video, and I just want to know if he knows what he's talking about or not.

Thanks for the help.

I don't really know about Zeos, but I recommend to use Audio Technica ATH-M50X

It may a bit more than 150 EUR, but a lot of my friends would prefe to add a bit more than purchase ATH-M40X since there are a huge difference (from their perspective anyway)

I personally use ATH-M50X, it is a good stereo headphone, I use it for mixer monitoring for live music, gaming on my laptop, and sometimes listen music with Spotify

And if you're concern about Surround capability, just use DTS/Dolby Atmos for Spatial Audio, since this headphone is well known, the app already has preset for ATH-M50X, and I really enjoy to use it on gaming for pinpoint location of each element in game

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

P.S. The downside of ATH-M50X headphone, is that the ear cup will break within 1-2 years of use, no matter how careful to keep

So unless you wanna peel the synthetic leather on the ear cup, you may try to buy replacement ear cup or use it without synthetic leather like I do

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT2 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

M50x and m40 not gonna lie suck for gaming their lack of any soundstage at all makes it sound too intimate and tracking footsteps or any overall immersion sucks. 

The 770 is pretty good for gaming wide soundstage for a closed back and very good imaging for tracking. I just think their tuned kinda bad but built like tanks. I would got for the 250 ohm.  Other alternatives are the akg k371 and k361 both are great sounding cans overall. In terms of soundstage they are not too wide but certainly wider than audio Technica as well as tuned better than 770 for music and overall enjoyability. If you can find a Sony mdr1 am2 for that duget I would pick that up over all of these as it is well tuned , soundstage is pretty ok still not as wide as 770 but has pretty good stereo imaging

46 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I would got for the 250 ohm

That's bad advice imho as they might not be able to drive them with whatever they have. The 80ohms dt770 pros are the better choice for the majority of people. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

DT770 80ohm. Not only it's easier to drive it, the highs are also less harsh than the 250ohm version.

Comfort is excellent, it's built like a tank so you need to be as strong as a Hulk to break it. And Beyerdynamic provides plenty of spare parts to replace everything.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I recommend the Rode NTH-100 every chance I get, and this is one of the times that it's a perfect fit.  The headphone sounds great on anything and is very comfortable.  It's great for all content as well.  The only downside to them is that the ratcheting mechanism can break if you're rough with them, it took me falling ontop of them while they were under a pillow on my bed for them to break, but Rode replaced them no questions asked.  I would imagine they will come out with replacement parts.  These are some of my favorite headphones.

Second to those I would recommend the DT770 80ohm for your use case.  Beyerdynamic is a great company with a great product.  One of the earliest headphones in my "head-fi" days was the dt770-80 that I got for a friend and with a couple hours of use on them I obsessed over getting the dt880-600 and love them, now I have the dt1990 and they're great headphones.

Oh and as far as Zeos, he's a take it or leave it person, some people hate him others love him.  I'm one that loves him because once I had a few headphones I started listening to different reviewers take on them and found that every time Zeos had the exact same opinion I did, so after that I went on his recommendations alone and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.  Well one earpad recommendation he made in his telegram wasn't my cup of tea but I've grown to enjoy them so half points.  Most people's complaints of him are that he loves everything.  And He does, but it's like someone that reviews cars every day.  You have to find what you love about the product while also bringing up its shortcomings.  When you're driving sports cars and luxury cars all the time it's difficult to just crap on one because they're all great for their own reasons.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

8 hours ago, Psittac said:

I recommend the Rode NTH-100 every chance I get, and this is one of the times that it's a perfect fit.  The headphone sounds great on anything and is very comfortable.  It's great for all content as well.  The only downside to them is that the ratcheting mechanism can break if you're rough with them, it took me falling ontop of them while they were under a pillow on my bed for them to break, but Rode replaced them no questions asked.  I would imagine they will come out with replacement parts.  These are some of my favorite headphones.

I was recently looking into the Rode and what I noticed is that there aren't any longer term reviews for the thing, while I also see a lot of posts on various forums/subreddits about the adjustment mechanism breaking. They also have been out for over a year, so you'd think that is enough time to start selling replacement parts, at the very least earpads.

It is one reason why I recommend Beyerdynamic these days. As basically every single part of the headset is available separately as a replacement part, they are easy to repair to begin with but also rarely need repairing anyway due to the build quality.  

It's also what drove me away from Sennheiser years ago. While they have some replacement parts available their headphones in the same price category are less sturdy and much less repairable. 

To get back to Rode, I should say that part of my reservations here are also due to previous experiences with a few of their other products about general repairability and longevity. I had an entire wall of text written already about that, but frankly it isn't all that relevant to the point I am trying to make. 

Basically, these headphones seem awesome and I can certainly see people being very happy with them. I just am personally not sure about them lasting and being able to service them down the road. Even if the adjustment mechanism isn't a problem for most people at some point you likely do want to replace the headband or earpads.  It doesn't look like Rode will sell those and it very much remains to be seen if they stay populair enough to have good third party replacements available. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

22 hours ago, creesch said:

That's bad advice imho as they might not be able to drive them with whatever they have. The 80ohms dt770 pros are the better choice for the majority of people. 

Yes your absolutely right. I just wish there was an alternative at this budget range with matching spacial audio qualities cause the longer I'm in the hobby the less I appreciate this particular headphone.

4 hours ago, TechlessBro said:

Closed backs suggest you either want to not disturb others or trying to block external noise?

Which one?
some block more incoming noise well, while all block sound leaking out.

To not disturb others, mainly.

Also thanks to everyone for your answers!