EXTREMEHW Invites LTT to 96-hour Folding@Home Challenge March 17th

Go to solution Solved by Nicnac,

Had lots of fun, looking forward to the next competition!

image.png.9f233c83cb0549efd26e6815a279f1ed.png

Hi. We've worked hard to acquire 13 sponsored prizes so far from Corsair, be quiet, and Cooler Master for this event. We're don't have that many active folders on our team as we are still new and growing, thus I'm extending an invitation here to LTT. If anyone wants to come fold with us for the four days, that would be awesome. And as a thank you, there's some pretty nifty prizes that we 're giving away.

https://extremehw.net/topic/2662-extremehw-first-annual-96-hour-folding-challenge-march-17th-20th-0000-utc

Score card

Bump. We have more prizes to give away than people registered for the contest...

I can probably try with my RX5700 but don't expect too much from me. Worst case scenario is that I add in my NAS to fold as well.

do i need to switch teams?

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 minute ago, dogwitch said:

You just need to switch your team number in the folding@home app to 239902 for the event. Afterwards you can change it back to LTT's number.

Count me in!

Just one question though, do I have to register and post in the thread over at ExtremeHW as well?

5 hours ago, dogwitch said:

Just during the event then you can switch back.

2 hours ago, Monsterkater said:

Count me in!

Just one question though, do I have to register and post in the thread over at ExtremeHW as well?

Yes you need to register over there and type "IN (folding name)" and use our team number 239902 during the event.

I am happy we have more entrants trickling in as we get closer to the event. Feel free to give the LTT forum a huge shoutout while you are visiting EHW.

Be sure you all check the event start countdown timer since it is UTC time zone.

Just now, damric said:

Yes you need to register over there and type "IN (folding name)" and use our team number 239902 during the event.

All right, will do as soon as I get off work! tyvm for the swift reply 

Bump. Just over 3 days to go. Get your rigs ready. Test them by folding. Don't forget to register on EHW.

If you are new to folding, folding is hard on hardware. I don't really suggest overclocking unless you have tested it with folding for a few days already. Folding will crash at the slightest instabilities, and especially hates unstable memory overclock. It's been said that folding@home is the ultimate long term stability test. There's going to be junker hardware that will fail during the contest. Casualties happen, every time we do this.

Be sure to check the start time since it is UTC time zone. 

Hope to see you all. Give LTT a shoutout for allowing me to borrow some of you for a few days 😄

16 hours ago, damric said:

Bump. Just over 3 days to go. Get your rigs ready. Test them by folding. Don't forget to register on EHW.

If you are new to folding, folding is hard on hardware. I don't really suggest overclocking unless you have tested it with folding for a few days already. Folding will crash at the slightest instabilities, and especially hates unstable memory overclock. It's been said that folding@home is the ultimate long term stability test. There's going to be junker hardware that will fail during the contest. Casualties happen, every time we do this.

Be sure to check the start time since it is UTC time zone. 

Hope to see you all. Give LTT a shoutout for allowing me to borrow some of you for a few days 😄

going to work on my network later today.... moved  something...   has made the whole network(internal house)   sub gb( i.e og 100mb connection)

this was a rated 10gb and bi directional with enterprise switch ... it also cursing serve latency issues atm.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Ok I got the prize info from EVGA Jacob. 

TEN X20 Mice
TEN Z20 Keyboards

We have had a major influx of contestants this week, but we could still have leftover prizes, thus we have had to implement a slight rules change to make the contest even easier.

We have lowered the requirement for the random prize draw to 10 Work Units.

In the event that we have prizes leftover, we will hold a second round of random prize giveaways for those that completed 20 Work Units.

I'm working on getting this info into the official thread, updating our banners, and all that today.

Thank you Jacob and EVGA for generously giving back to the folding community.

Forgot to check the terms and conditions.

Any idea how are those living in foreign countries handled?

6 hours ago, amsga said:

I actually didn't find any T&Cs to speak of, really.

My best guess is the prize sponsors will make use of their distribution networks to distribute the prizes, so international winners should expect similar shipping conditions to ordering in the respective sponsor's shop. That's just an assumption on my part though.

Maybe @damric can elaborate on that?

7 hours ago, amsga said:

We're trying to keep this big 96-hour event open to anywhere on earth really. Most of the prize vendors are mailing directly to winners, and they have worldwide shipping. Cooler Master sent us 1 big box so we have to redistribute that, but we're more than happy to eat the shipping costs. We're just happy to have you guys participate.

Now for our smaller regular monthly contests which are only 48-hour events, we generally do paypal prizes to those overseas, but we've had exceptions to that and mailed international packages. A couple months ago we had a guy get some really nice stickers printed and he mailed them everywhere 😄

15 hours ago, Monsterkater said:

Wish I could react 'Like' and 'Informative' simultaneously 😅

I chose 'Informative', please take it as both 😆

Thank you. We appreciate you guys coming over to help out for this fun competition.

Big Props to OP for keeping the folding spirit alive and doing community events! Would love to join but unfortunately dont have access to my rig for a couple days 😕 Maybe I can late join but not getting my hopes up... Will join next time for sure though!!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

22 hours ago, Nicnac said:

Big Props to OP for keeping the folding spirit alive and doing community events! Would love to join but unfortunately dont have access to my rig for a couple days 😕 Maybe I can late join but not getting my hopes up... Will join next time for sure though!!

Late comers are welcome 🙂

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if there is any difference folding via AMD vs NVIDIA GPU and/or Intel vs AMD CPU.

9 hours ago, amsga said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if there is any difference folding via AMD vs NVIDIA GPU and/or Intel vs AMD CPU.

It's mostly related to Floating Point 32 performance, but CUDA is more efficient than Open CL for the most part at F@H.

It's a shame the Intel ARC GPUs can't fold due to drivers and no FP32 support.

On the CPU side more cores and SMT help.

• 5 months later...

I dunno how to link the stats here's a real badResized_20230212_163318.thumb.jpeg.dd3456a9d552ff8a8b26813f8c067ccf.jpeg pic of my screen ... had I only known 

I could have contributed in with team ltt