PC Freezing but audio is still live (Spotify, Discord)

Good day all,

I am running into this weird issue and trying to find out some good troubleshooting steps to run to try to isolate this issue. The issue is my computer freezes up and I cannot move anything, keyboard provides no input, mouse no input, BUT audio is still live, whether that being Spotify or discord. So I have to force shut off my computer to be able to do anything. This happens on mainly I've seen games, I found it happening on Valorant and Sons of the Forest, so far. I have not seen it happen on other games but I have not been on other games tbh that much so I cant say for sure that these are causing the issue.

I get no BSOD codes when it happens, event viewer only shows the power down was unexpected and nothing else. I am stuck on what else to troubleshoot and what other steps to try, any help would be appreciated

Here's my setup

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - MSI B450 Tomahawk (MS-7C02)

GPU - ASRock RX 6800XT XT Phantom

RAM - 32GB DDR4 3200 G.Skill

PSU - EVGA 600W BR

Running 3 monitors (1x1440p165hz, 2x1080px144hz)

So far the troubleshooting done is,

BIOS is already latest version 1I0
Updated AMD Graphics Driver to latest (current 23.2.2 released 2/17/23)
Updated AMD Chipset drivers (current 4.07.13.2243, new 5.01.29.2026)
Ran MemTest86 and passed

Ran Heaven Benchmark and saw no crashes for about 30 minutes and temperatures was stable but hard to replicate this issue so unsure if this really proves anything

12 minutes ago, JohnnyS_ said:

Good day all,

I am running into this weird issue and trying to find out some good troubleshooting steps to run to try to isolate this issue. The issue is my computer freezes up and I cannot move anything, keyboard provides no input, mouse no input, BUT audio is still live, whether that being Spotify or discord. So I have to force shut off my computer to be able to do anything. This happens on mainly I've seen games, I found it happening on Valorant and Sons of the Forest, so far. I have not seen it happen on other games but I have not been on other games tbh that much so I cant say for sure that these are causing the issue.

I get no BSOD codes when it happens, event viewer only shows the power down was unexpected and nothing else. I am stuck on what else to troubleshoot and what other steps to try, any help would be appreciated

Here's my setup

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

PSU - EVGA 600W BR

So far the troubleshooting done is,

BIOS is already latest version 1I0
Updated AMD Graphics Driver to latest (current 23.2.2 released 2/17/23)
Updated AMD Chipset drivers (current 4.07.13.2243, new 5.01.29.2026)
Ran MemTest86 and passed

Ran Heaven Benchmark and saw no crashes for about 30 minutes and temperatures was stable but hard to replicate this issue so unsure if this really proves anything

Minimum recommended PSU for a factory RX 6800 XT is 650W. Your card has a minimum recommended of 800W, and RX 6800 XT has known issues with power spiking just like the RTX 3080.

I'd try limiting the TDP using Asus Tweak II/III or MSI afterburner (whatever GPU overclocking software of your choosing) and lower the TDP/power target to like 75% and see if it still occurs.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

12 minutes ago, Agall said:

Minimum recommended PSU for a factory RX 6800 XT is 650W. Your card has a minimum recommended of 800W, and RX 6800 XT has known issues with power spiking just like the RTX 3080.

I'd try limiting the TDP using Asus Tweak II/III or MSI afterburner (whatever GPU overclocking software of your choosing) and lower the TDP/power target to like 75% and see if it still occurs.

Ah, I didnt even know that minimum was that...

So I never done that before but I'll just use AMDs software since it looks built in, I can only go to -6 in power limit and +15 the highest. I assume these are percentage values as it has a % next to it. Should I put it then to just -6% and test?

35 minutes ago, JohnnyS_ said:

Here's my setup

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

PSU - EVGA 600W BR

So far the troubleshooting done
Ran MemTest86 and passed

Saw similar with my 5900X when either it or my board did not like the RAM I used. Selected from board manufacturer's QVL list and the problems went away. Absence from the list doesn't guarantee it won't run, but it doesn't guarantee stability, either.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 minutes ago, JohnnyS_ said:

Ah, I didnt even know that minimum was that...

So I never done that before but I'll just use AMDs software since it looks built in, I can only go to -6 in power limit and +15 the highest. I assume these are percentage values as it has a % next to it. Should I put it then to just -6% and test?

I'm unsure of the application of that setting in that software and I don't own my RX 6900 XT anymore to test it, I would recommend installing MSI Afterburner or Asus Tweak III to do this, there's a slider for TDP/power that's default set to 100% that can go lower or higher, in your case, as low as it i can go or to ~75%.

If that stops the issue, then its quite definitive that there's some sort of power limitation, but either way you should buy an 850W PSU for that card. Most builder's recommendations are 850W since they're quite reasonably priced over lesser options and a quality 850W can run even an RTX 4090 at 100% TDP.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

6 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'm unsure of the application of that setting in that software and I don't own my RX 6900 XT anymore to test it, I would recommend installing MSI Afterburner or Asus Tweak III to do this, there's a slider for TDP/power that's default set to 100% that can go lower or higher, in your case, as low as it i can go or to ~75%.

If that stops the issue, then its quite definitive that there's some sort of power limitation, but either way you should buy an 850W PSU for that card. Most builder's recommendations are 850W since they're quite reasonably priced over lesser options and a quality 850W can run even an RTX 4090 at 100% TDP.

Sounds good, 

Yeah I'll look into some will try to find recommendations but will test this out. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Update to all, I ended up getting a new PSU, installed it and couple days ago it ended up doing the same thing again. I have reset any changes on the software of like voltage, power limit, freq, etc, and running stock default settings to see if it happens again. 

10 hours ago, JohnnyS_ said:

Update to all, I ended up getting a new PSU, installed it and couple days ago it ended up doing the same thing again. I have reset any changes on the software of like voltage, power limit, freq, etc, and running stock default settings to see if it happens again. 

I have same problem. 

My old rig i7 6700k  normal to play spotify. 

After buy new rig i5 13600k computer start random freeze after couple times sound buzzing. 

I buy new psu from nzxt but have same problem. 

After uninstall spotify its normal. 

Sory for my English

• 1 month later...

Update on this still getting this issue happening every so often not as often as before though. So weird

• 1 month later...

Following up on this, issue is still happening, starting to happen now on Minecraft + hosting a server. No dump file gets created from a typical BSOD type of event. Any assistance is appreciated. This is frustrating. There is no OC on anything as of now, I just removed the RAM values from 3200 to 3000 and now default in BIOS. 

This seems to be the only thing I can find

image.thumb.png.f1e98e8324be59b4d46d844afa245525.png

29 minutes ago, JohnnyS_ said:

Following up on this, issue is still happening, starting to happen now on Minecraft + hosting a server. No dump file gets created from a typical BSOD type of event. Any assistance is appreciated. This is frustrating. There is no OC on anything as of now, I just removed the RAM values from 3200 to 3000 and now default in BIOS. 

👀 I had a similar issue with my 6800xt where the screen would freeze or blackout, yet the sound continues as normal. In my case the GPU was defective and I had to RMA it. It shit itself three months later. The sound continuing on as normal is a definite red flag of the culprit being related to the display adapter, or a bad display cable, or a damaged monitor. If the issue ceases with a spare GPU, you'll have your culprit. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I opened tickets with AMD, Asrock. I realized I reached out Asrock back then but they never reached back out to me. lol

On 6/27/2023 at 11:55 PM, JohnnyS_ said:

I opened tickets with AMD, Asrock. I realized I reached out Asrock back then but they never reached back out to me. lol

😕Well that's unfortunate, because your GPU might have to be RMA'ed. Warranty is two years so you have time. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10