Why sometimes my rig takes forever to shutdown?

AlexQC

Here are my specs which might matter:

• Windows 11 Pro
  • ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero (updated to latest BIOS)
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000 (2 sticks of 32 GB)
  • Intel Core i9-13900K

Sometimes when I shutdown my PC (I don't use fast start-up in Windows so it's a full shutdown every time) the PC stay ON for minutes after Windows is OFF (monitors are shutdown). It's like when you boot you PC for the first time when the memory training is being done but now it's at the shutdown. What is happening it's the fist time I see that for a PC?

10 minutes ago, AlexQC said:

Sometimes when I shutdown my PC (I don't use fastboot in Windows so it a full shutdown every time) the PC stay ON for minutes after Windows is OFF (monitors are shutdown). It's like when you boot you PC for the first time when the memory training is being done but now it's at the shutdown. What is happening it's the fist time I see that for a PC?

Disable windows Fast Startup in Power Option.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Is there any storage drive activity during this time?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

It's already OFF as stated. And power profile is set to maximum performance.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Is there any storage drive activity during this time?

Not that I can see or hear (it's a nvme ssd and the HDD led is not blinking). Remember that the "Windows shutting down" with the spinning wheel is off and the monitors LEDs turns orange then the PC does nothing and after a couples minutes the PC turns off. During that time fans are spinning.

4 minutes ago, AlexQC said:

It's already OFF as stated. And power profile is set to maximum performance.

You mentioned Fast Boot, not Fast Startup. 

Did you check EventViewer for any log about timed out application/driver? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

33 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

You mentioned Fast Boot, not Fast Startup. 

Did you check EventViewer for any log about timed out application/driver? 

Sorry I meant fast start-up (did not check prior to writing).

I don't use EventViewer that often (I can't find anything ever)... Do you have tips on how to filter the messages? Next time it does that I'll try to film what it does and after I'll check the EventViewer logs.

30 minutes ago, AlexQC said:

I don't use EventViewer that often (I can't find anything ever)... Do you have tips on how to filter the messages? Next time it does that I'll try to film what it does and after I'll check the EventViewer logs.

Ensure it's sorted by time(newest first), and focus on items that pertain to the approximate timeframe. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

35 minutes ago, AlexQC said:

Open EventViewer and expand Applications And Services Logs>Microsoft>Windows>Diagnostics-Performance>Operational 

Click Filter Current Log and in the EventID box put 200-300. Click Ok. 

• 2 weeks later...

Go to winaerotweaks the software and enable verbose text during shutdown and startup it's called something like that, hard to miss. See where it's taking so much time

Are you a dev running server tools such as a webserver, database engine etc ?

Yes I'm a dev and no webserver or any dev tool are running when it happened. I checked  I EventViewer as suggested above and there are zero errors around when it happened. I finally managed to get a video of what is happening (occurred like 3 times in the last 3 weeks so it's a rare occurrence) :

Some context to the video below. At the time of filming the the blue "Windows is shutting down" message disappeared and both my monitors are turned off (yellow LED instead of the greed LED). Also notice that both RAM sticks RGB LEDs are OFF (they are always ON when I power my PC). The rear fan LEDs are OFF then they come back ON... I'm pretty sure It's the BIOS and not Windows but never saw this kind of problem.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:48 PM, AlexQC said:

Here are my specs which might matter:

• Windows 11 Pro
  • ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero (updated to latest BIOS)
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000 (2 sticks of 32 GB)
  • Intel Core i9-13900K

Sometimes when I shutdown my PC (I don't use fast start-up in Windows so it's a full shutdown every time) the PC stay ON for minutes after Windows is OFF (monitors are shutdown). It's like when you boot you PC for the first time when the memory training is being done but now it's at the shutdown. What is happening it's the fist time I see that for a PC?

On 2/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, xAcid9 said:

untick this option 

Screenshot 2023-03-21 103412.png

Windows Fast Startup is always disabled on my rigs as stated before.

On 3/22/2023 at 10:01 PM, AlexQC said:

Windows Fast Startup is always disabled on my rigs as stated before.

Based on the video, it looks like the issue is with the motherboard. (I also assume that the flickering of the GPU RGB light is just the camera, and isn't actually doing a light show seizure rave party)

However, to confirm, you need to rule out OS from motherboard.

If you have a spare drive that you can format. Replace your system drive with that one.

• Go in the UEFI/BIOS and ensure that ASUS Armoury-crate and MyASUS are disabled (I think it was under "tools"), and ensure that CSM is disabled (on your way).
  • Then clean install Windows 11 on that spare drive.
  • Install all drivers. DO NOT install Armoury Crate or any motherboard/network tools and software.
  • DO NOT install any RGB software.
  • Make sure Device Manager shows no issue.
  • Once done, restart (if never done)

Now try to shut down your system. Is your problem solved?

If yes, then the issue is at the OS level with your original drive. This is probably due to a driver problem. The focus should be on that.

If the problem still persists, then the issue is with the motherboard.