RAM usage problem

kjbdog

lately i noticed my pc wasnt running the best and i decided to check task manager and noticed that the ram usage doesnt align with anything goin on, when i go to the users section it tells me exactly how much ram im using and its lets say 5.5gb cause a games open but then performance tells me that in total over 10gbs of ram are being used and just generally its been making my pc run terribly and from what ive found online i think i may have a miner virus using my hardware for their benefit. I did lately also get back into the batman arkham series, i bring this up because the game is highly modable and i fear one of the mods is what has done this. Somehow i even wiped windows and started fresh but its still happening exactly the same so it was a waste of my time and hopefully i can just find a solution to this problem cause i really do appreciate my pc and id love to keep it intact, i also did get bitdefender AV but even wit the full scan it doesnt appear to show anything. Any ideas and help would be appreciated if anything i will take it to a professional intown to get wiped and looked at if that is the best option but cheers and thank you so much for reading. If you need anyother specs or have questions ill try to answer asap.

sorry this is my first time but the specs are :

cpu 10600kf

gpu asus rog 1080ti

ram tforce 16g 3600mhz

mobo asus prime b560m

2 ssd's 1 wwestern digital black and 1 samsung 870sata 

psu corsair 750

You can wipe it pretty easily yourself if you just set up a reinstall of windows with a USB stick. If your AV software is not picking up any programs its likely a PUP (potentially unwanted program) thats not part of their data set.

Just now, RAM555789 said:

You can wipe it pretty easily yourself if you just set up a reinstall of windows with a USB stick. If your AV software is not picking up any programs its likely a PUP (potentially unwanted program) thats not part of their data set.

i already wiped windows fresh myself doing this method and it still persists

14 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

Unless you are redownloading the same mod that contains it then its likely a different issue thats your problem. What programs do you see using the most RAM.

Just now, RAM555789 said:

Unless you are redownloading the same mod that contains it then its likely a different issue thats your problem. What programs do you see using the most RAM.

thats the problem is there isnt any its just my game and whatever is actually using the rest of my ram is completely hidden from anywhere i can find

15 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

in task manager> click processes, then click the memory column and sort by usage. see what's eating memory, then google the process. 
that isn't too much RAM usage. you probably don't have a virus. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

7 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

Post images of your Taskmanager, one with the columns arranged by Memory usage, one arranged by CPU usage and one showing the default Taskmanager screen (showing the Performance page), try to show as much as possible of each listing. You can use any free graphics app, even MS Paint, to block out any personaly identifiable information before posting.

You could also post an image of the Taskmanager Startup page so we can see what, if anything, is loading at Windows start.

Are you by running out of memory during normal or high load use, or are you reading the amount of memory 'used' by Windows, which includes memory used for caching and is released as apps require it.

It is entirely possible there is a memory leak caused by one or more of the mods you use, the only way to deal with that is to stop useing the mod or update it, if possible, and a fix is available. Try turning the mods of and testing if the issue persists, if not then turn the mods on one at a time until the issue returns, that is likely your culprit.

whatever is eating up my memory is not showing up anywhere 

Just now, kjbdog said:

thats the problem is there isnt any its just my game and whatever is actually using the rest of my ram is completely hidden from anywhere i can find

it sounds like you're not considering Cache. Windows also makes a Cache on the disk that it can use as RAM. 

You may be being a hypochondriac about it. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

image.thumb.png.e7a267f036552ca2a69418026bd9d951.png

there is absolutely no way that windows is using over 6 gigs for doing nothing im asking for help to determine where the virus can be not whether or not i can diagnose

22 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

there is absolutely no way that windows is using over 6 gigs for doing nothing im asking for help to determine where the virus can be not whether or not i can diagnose

dude, all of those little processes that use RAM add up. I don't think you have a virus. 
This looks like normal usage to me. 

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

dude, all of those little processes that use RAM add up. I don't think you have a virus. 
This looks like normal usage to me. 

dude can you not see that me the user is only using 4gigs meanwhile it says 9.7 gigs are being used somewhere else???? please someone else help me

1 minute ago, kjbdog said:

dude can you not see that me the user is only using 4gigs meanwhile it says 9.7 gigs are being used somewhere else???? please someone else help me

the Users tab shows usage based on the account that launched the process. 
the System background launches lots of tasks that do not appear in that tab. 
The user tab is best for diagnosing public computers that may have multiple users signed in. It's basically useless for a single owner PC. 

5 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

Your user account is only one of a few "users" launching things on the system. Open the "Details" tab and you'll see there are other users like SYSTEM and LOCAL SERVICE used by Windows to launch system processes.

Your memory usage is totally normal and not an indication of a virus.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Your user is only one of a few "users" launching things on the system. Open the "Details" tab and you'll see there are other users like SYSTEM and LOCAL SERVICE used by Windows to launch system processes.

all im saying is that half my ram is being used by nothing and its only happened recently 3 weeks ago on startup at idle it would used to use maybe 1 gig if that and now it idles at 3 gigs and using more then doubles the ram of my games so what happened exactly?

Desktop Screenshot 2023.02.18 - 21.48.16.90.png

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Your user account is only one of a few "users" launching things on the system. Open the "Details" tab and you'll see there are other users like SYSTEM and LOCAL SERVICE used by Windows to launch system processes.

there is a total of 6 user names 

system

network

local service

me (kjbdog)

dwm-3( the only task is fontdvrhost.exe )

umfd-0( the only task is dwm.exe )

7 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

all im saying is that half my ram is being used by nothing and its only happened recently 3 weeks ago on startup at idle it would used to use maybe 1 gig if that and now it idles at 3 gigs and using more then doubles the ram of my games so what happened exactly?

-snip-

Windows caches stuff like frequently accessed files to RAM in the background to make things run faster. It probably started doing that more aggressively lately for one reason or another. RAM is made to be used, and Windows is good at shifting things in and out depending on how much RAM processes need. Unless you're getting issues like programs crashing with out-of-memory errors I wouldn't worry about the usage.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Windows caches stuff like frequently accessed files to RAM in the background to make things run faster. It probably started doing that more aggressively lately for one reason or another. RAM is made to be used, and Windows is good at shifting things in and out depending on how much RAM processes need. Unless you're getting issues like programs crashing with out-of-memory errors I wouldn't worry about the usage.

alright thank you for your reassurance ill just keep an eye on it and i guess upgrade to 32 gigs tomorrow so its not going above 50%

3 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

alright thank you for your reassurance ill just keep an eye on it and i guess upgrade to 32 gigs tomorrow so its not going above 50%

As you add more RAM Windows will use more RAM. Don't be surprised if usage goes up even more when you upgrade to 32 GB. It's a good thing, more things are being stored in RAM for fast access.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

So lately in maybe the past couple of weeks i have noticed that at idle my machine is now using around 20% of the ram and not allowing my games to take priority and making them run pretty unoptimized with low gpu usage, ive reinstalled windows and reinstalled an older gpu driver but the problem still persists the odd thing is that task manager also doesnt correctly add up the process' i do have 16 gigs which i know is becoming outdated as games and windows become more demanding but i just thought about a month ago i checked it at idle my ram usage would be around 5% if that? so yeah just wondering if theres been any new wonky drivers or anything or maybe my ram stick have become faulty or dying over a couple years? if you need any more specs just let me know please

Desktop Screenshot 2023.02.22 - 20.45.14.25.png

Desktop Screenshot 2023.02.22 - 20.45.20.42.png

Desktop Screenshot 2023.02.22 - 20.45.28.85.png

no, sorry, looks normal to me, you also have some crapware running like Bitdefender and discord. i would recommend windows defender as an AV for starters. 

15 minutes ago, kjbdog said:

is now using around 20% of the ram and not allowing my games to take priority 

how did you determine that?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@kjbdog I have merged your threads with your previous ones surrounding the same topic. Please don't make new topics for the same thing you have existing threads relating to. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card