Help: First time attempting to upgrading Laptop soldered RAM

Firedrops
Go to solution Solved by Firedrops,

Got it figured out, with help from this page. The RAM_ID are just locations for 10k 0201 5% resistors. No additional resistors need to be purchased because they're all there, just need to switch positions to toggle the high/low states.

image.thumb.png.761a79c80cceba6ae5b2c7c587fd7289.png

I want to attempt upgrading the soldered RAM on my HP 13-ay0095AU from 8GB to 16GB. While I have a lot of experience soldering, this is my first time attempting something like this.

I found the schematics and .cad file (attached). However, I haven't got a clue on how to properly read them. As far as I can tell, they should be the correct and the same board. RAM-related info seems to be mainly on page 12 of the PDF. I've also attached a photo of the physical board, found online.

I have a few questions:

1. The board seems to physically have 8 spots for RAM chips. However, Googling the part numbers for the 8 GB setups (e.g. H5AN8G6NCJR-XNC) suggests that those are 16x 512 MB chips? Am I reading this wrongly?

2. If I find an online vendor with the part "K4AAG165WA-BCWE", do I just order 1 unit? Or 8 units, 1 for each spot?

3. How do the "RAM_ID1...4" work? Are they just bridged pads or resistors or something else? 

Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

ezgif-4-7fcc1099a0.jpg

HP ENVY x360 13-ay00xx series Compal GPR31 LA-J481P Rev 1.0 BoardView.cad Compal GPR31 LA-J481P Rev 1.0 Схема.pdf

Do not do this, it will damage the laptop motherboard. It's the same for soldered Cpu's. The only thing you can do is buy a new laptop motherboard, or a new laptop.

That's not the point. I have sufficient tools and experience replacing SMD/BGA components on PCBs. Plenty of people have done this with Apple PCBs with good success, but unfortunately that doesn't help with mainboard-specific questions that I have.

Got it figured out, with help from this page. The RAM_ID are just locations for 10k 0201 5% resistors. No additional resistors need to be purchased because they're all there, just need to switch positions to toggle the high/low states.

image.thumb.png.761a79c80cceba6ae5b2c7c587fd7289.png