At home blade server questions

god_bmxes

So long story short I got all the blades from a blade server. They are all Cisco UCS B200 M3's with dual E5-2640V2's and 256GB of DDR3 each but did not come with the chassis to hold them all. My question is what are some use cases for a blade server with 2TB of ram and what would I need to set it up and use it?

Gaming Rig: 1st gen i7 to 8th gen i7 (Build Log)

Specs: i7 8700k : Corsair H110i w 2x Corsair LL140mm RGB Fans : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz : Asus ROG Maximux X Hero AC : EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra : Phanteks Enthoo 719 w/LL120mm RGB fan : Corsair HX750Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB Boot Drive : WD Black HDD Game Drive : Corsair Lighting Node Pro

Server: 

Specs: HP DL380e G8 : 2x Intel Xeon E5 2470 : 48GB Ram : 6x HPE 4TB 3.5" HDDs, 2x 4TB WD Red, 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs, 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD : Redundant 750w 80+ Gold PSUs

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You basically need the chassis to use it. There is all properity connectors on those blades for power, network, and management.

Yea thats what I am seeing, looks like I can get a chassis for it for around $200 to $400

Specs: i7 8700k : Corsair H110i w 2x Corsair LL140mm RGB Fans : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz : Asus ROG Maximux X Hero AC : EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra : Phanteks Enthoo 719 w/LL120mm RGB fan : Corsair HX750Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB Boot Drive : WD Black HDD Game Drive : Corsair Lighting Node Pro

Server: 

Specs: HP DL380e G8 : 2x Intel Xeon E5 2470 : 48GB Ram : 6x HPE 4TB 3.5" HDDs, 2x 4TB WD Red, 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs, 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD : Redundant 750w 80+ Gold PSUs

3 hours ago, god_bmxes said:

So long story short I got all the blades from a blade server. They are all Cisco UCS B200 M3's with dual E5-2640V2's and 256GB of DDR3 each but did not come with the chassis to hold them all. My question is what are some use cases for a blade server with 2TB of ram and what would I need to set it up and use it?

That would make one hell of a truenas server running multiple vms and containers. You can easily make a good performing cloud server out of it too or game servers. 

3 hours ago, god_bmxes said:

On a side note though that I just thought of, keep in mind that if won't be quiet. You will want to keep it out of common living space and put it in a garage or basement if you can. 

8 hours ago, god_bmxes said:

Yea thats what I am seeing, looks like I can get a chassis for it for around $200 to $400

You'd be better off getting an LGA2011 rack server or workstation, moving the processors and RAM over, and selling the barebone blade. (Remember, LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 are not cross-compatible. You can't drop your processors and RAM into a machine designed for v3 and v4 CPUs.)

I'd recommend just keeping the RAM, and picking up a couple E5-2680 V2 CPUs instead though. You get a couple extra cores and their clock speeds are much higher.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

You'd be better off getting an LGA2011 rack server or workstation, moving the processors and RAM over, and selling the barebone blade. (Remember, LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 are not cross-compatible. You can't drop your processors and RAM into a machine designed for v3 and v4 CPUs.)

I'd recommend just keeping the RAM, and picking up a couple E5-2680 V2 CPUs instead though. You get a couple extra cores and their clock speeds are much higher.

Yea, its also hard to get info on blade servers for at home use. Think I'll part out most of it and get a nice upgrade out of it

Server: 

14 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

On a side note though that I just thought of, keep in mind that if won't be quiet. You will want to keep it out of common living space and put it in a garage or basement if you can. 

Yea, I've had some time to think it over and I think I'll end up parting alot of it out. I dont need @TB of ram and 128 cpu cores lol. Try and get inot a newer Dell or HP rack mount maybe. Biggest thing is testing these blades though

Server: 

Not only do you need a chassis you need fabric interconnects as well to connect them to the network. Plus you need IOM modules in the chassis to connect to the FIs. It's not a simple plug and play. Don't forget storage too if the blades don't have storage you'll need to figure out something there.

The chassis+blades will pull at least 2kW+ of power easy 🙂

Edit:

Forgot a few things.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, god_bmxes said:

I dont need @TB of ram and 128 cpu cores lol.

Homelabbing isn't about need😛

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Homelabbing isn't about need😛

Whole reason I bought a Whole

Threadripper. Ha ha.