What are some go-to shortcuts everyone should know?

Kaas0001

I have heard this question before, then learned about  ctrl+shift+esc for instant task manager

What are some others people HAVE to know for that extra edge?

Can be shirtcuts, cmd shortcuts or whatever

Looking forward to what ya' ll can come up with

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

Win+Shift+S for taking a screenshot

Win+Shift+Left/Win+Shift+Right for moving windows across displays

Win+Up for maximising a window

Ctrl+Shift+Win+B for resetting DWM, sometimes helpful to get out of a black screen without rebooting

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 5900X | NH-U14S | Asus X Noctua RTX 3070 | MP600 | 850 EVO 250 GB | Caviar Black 5 TB | SS-860 XP2 | Define R5 Black | Thaulab Varna IV -> Objective 2 -> Sennheiser HD-555/AKG K7XX/Audiotechnica ATH-M40x

2 minutes ago, killchain said:

Win+Shift+Left/Win+Shift+Right for moving windows across displays

Oh damn, this is a gamechanger to be honest

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

Here are some useful shortcuts and tips that can help boost productivity:

1. Windows key + D: Show desktop.
  2. Windows key + L: Lock computer.
  3. Windows key + E: Open File Explorer.
  4. Alt + F4: Close the current window.
  5. Ctrl + C: Copy selected text or items to the clipboard.
  6. Ctrl + X: Cut selected text or items to the clipboard.
  7. Ctrl + V: Paste the contents of the clipboard.
  8. Windows key + Tab: Open Task View.
  9. Ctrl + Z: Undo the previous action.
  10. Ctrl + Y: Redo the previous action.
  11. Windows key + R: Open the Run dialog box.
  12. Ctrl + Shift + T: Reopen the last closed tab in your web browser.
  13. Ctrl + Shift + Esc: Open Task Manager.
  14. Windows key + Pause: Open System Properties.
  15. Ctrl + F: Find text on a webpage or document.

These are just a few examples, but there are many more shortcuts and tips that can help you work more efficiently. It's worth exploring your operating system and software applications to find out what other useful features they offer.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

9 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

1. Windows key + Pause: Open System Properties

I only didnt know about this one.

And its nog for me specificaly to boost productiity though, I was just curious what you guys think are must know shortcuts for newcommers.

Or some obsecure ones

5 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

I only didnt know about this one.

And its nog for me specificaly to boost productiity though, I was just curious what you guys think are must know shortcuts for newcommers.

Or some obsecure ones

Ok. These tips was created using ChatGPT. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

alt+tab. Saved me many times.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

12 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

These tips was created using ChatGPT

Lmao, very nice

btw, I never get to use ChatGPT, its alway " full" 

1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

alt+tab. Saved me many times.

Saved my schooltime

-Windows key + D to minimize all windows and show desktop, hit again to bring up open applications....thank me later.

-Windows key + Tab to show applications you have on each monitor if using multiple monitor setup...also works for single monitor (just a more zoomed in version of alt+tab)

-Windows key + up arrow / down arrow to make applications full screen / smaller/minimize ?

and my personal favorite

Windows key+L it will quickly lock your PC

10 minutes ago, SaulGoodMannnn said:

-Windows key + D to minimize all windows and show desktop, hit again to bring up open applications....thank me later.

-Windows key + Tab to show applications you have on each monitor if using multiple monitor setup...also works for single monitor (just a more zoomed in version of alt+tab)

-Windows key + up arrow / down arrow to make applications full screen / smaller/minimize ?

and my personal favorite

Windows key+L it will quickly lock your PC

Welcome to the forums!

Not a keyboard shortcut by itself, but install PowerToys

PowerToys Run is basically Spotlight for Wiindows. Alt + Space pops a search box in the middle of the screen. It's much more flexible than the normal Run box (Win + R)

I'm kind of hooked on FancyZones too, because it's a much more powerful version of Aero Snap. I run multiple monitors at work and a 4k monitor at home, the added flexibility of creating a bunch of snap zones is amazing.

systeminfo is also a useful command line tool. I almost always pipe it into more, which pauses and waits for a keystroke after each screen of text. That will tell you when the machine was rebooted last, and give you the PC name in plain text you can copy and paste.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

PowerToys Run is basically Spotlight for Wiindows. Alt + Space pops a search box in the middle of the screen. It's much more flexible than the normal Run box (Win + R)

Alt+Space is very useful for some users, see below, having it override default shortcuts since windows 95 and probably earlier kinda sucks.

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC : TASK MANAGER

ALT+PRTSCR :  take a snapshot of the active window, not the whole screen 

WIN + PAUSE/BREAK :  open  management window, where you can access device manager, advanced system settings, remote desktop settings, and a whole bunch of things, plus a search box to find more obscure settings, control panel 

ALT+SPACE  - OPEN WINDOW MENU (as if you click on the icon in top left corner but works even when application has no icon, or it's completely outside the screen, which can happen when you work with multiple monitors) 

Once the menu is open, you can type M for move, S for size, N for minimize, X to close.

Ex. 

ALT+SPACE , M, then press one directional key (UP, DOWN, LEFT or RIGHT) to start the drag process and hook the mouse and continue with keys, or you can now you can use the mouse to move the window where you want. Click or press ESC to finish dragging. 

ALT+SPACE, S,  directional key to start the resizing, then continue with key or mouse

Also, few people are aware that you can hold Ctrl+Shift and go left/right to enlarge selection word by word instead of character by character, in most text editors.

CTRL + A = Select All

CTRL + S = Save

CTRL + F = Find

CTRL + G = Find Row

CTRL + Z = Undo

CTRL + X = Delete

CTRL + C = Copy

CTRL + V = Paste 

CTRL + P = Print

ALT + Shift = Switch Input Language

ALT + TAB = Switch Active Window

ALT + F4 = Exit Window

Windows + R = Run

Windows + L = Lock PC

Windows + P = Projector Settings

Windows + TAB = Shows All Windows

F1 = Help

F3 = Find Next

F5 = Refresh

CTRL + ALT Delete = Logon Screen

CTRL + Shift + Escape = Task Manager

PrtScn = Takes a Screenshot and stores it in your clipboard.

Some keyboards support these shortcuts:

⏯ = Play/Pause Media

image.png.cb23c8903defa5b9524584a5b82cb66c.png = Calculator

image.png.561b55fa9e78850f97ba6ed3d873e9d3.png = Mute/Unmute Volume

image.png.81db35ce9dc18a2e8af37f359bc1bd30.png = Increase volume

image.png.3866e04727dda6c68f07584e1928b24b.png = Decrease Volume

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Alt+Space is very useful for some users, see below, having it override default shortcuts since windows 95 and probably earlier kinda sucks.

That's just the default, you can set it to whatever you want (or disable the feature entirely). I never manipulate windows with the keyboard except for Win + arrows to move windows between Aero Snap zones, so it's fine for me. If I did, I'd change it to Win + Space, which just changes keyboard layouts by default.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4cc80357a96518e76fd9940e5e862eb0.png

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC : TASK MANAGER

ALT+PRTSCR :  take a snapshot of the active window, not the whole screen 

WIN + PAUSE/BREAK :  open  management window, where you can access device manager, advanced system settings, remote desktop settings, and a whole bunch of things, plus a search box to find more obscure settings, control panel 

ALT+SPACE  - OPEN WINDOW MENU (as if you click on the icon in top left corner but works even when application has no icon, or it's completely outside the screen, which can happen when you work with multiple monitors) 

Once the menu is open, you can type M for move, S for size, N for minimize, X to close.

Ex. 

ALT+SPACE , M, then press one directional key (UP, DOWN, LEFT or RIGHT) to start the drag process and hook the mouse and continue with keys, or you can now you can use the mouse to move the window where you want. Click or press ESC to finish dragging. 

ALT+SPACE, S,  directional key to start the resizing, then continue with key or mouse

Also, few people are aware that you can hold Ctrl+Shift and go left/right to enlarge selection word by word instead of character by character, in most text editors.

Holy shit...I had such an issue before with HWinfo going fullscreen on my 1080p monitor after dragging from 1440p and not being able to move the windows around....Can't believe I didn't know this!

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

Here are some useful shortcuts and tips that can help boost productivity:

1. Windows key + D: Show desktop.
  2. Windows key + L: Lock computer.
  3. Windows key + E: Open File Explorer.
  4. Alt + F4: Close the current window.
  5. Ctrl + C: Copy selected text or items to the clipboard.
  6. Ctrl + X: Cut selected text or items to the clipboard.
  7. Ctrl + V: Paste the contents of the clipboard.
  8. Windows key + Tab: Open Task View.
  9. Ctrl + Z: Undo the previous action.
  10. Ctrl + Y: Redo the previous action.
  11. Windows key + R: Open the Run dialog box.
  12. Ctrl + Shift + T: Reopen the last closed tab in your web browser.
  13. Ctrl + Shift + Esc: Open Task Manager.
  14. Windows key + Pause: Open System Properties.
  15. Ctrl + F: Find text on a webpage or document.

These are just a few examples, but there are many more shortcuts and tips that can help you work more efficiently. It's worth exploring your operating system and software applications to find out what other useful features they offer.

Ok. These tips was created using ChatGPT. 

For future reference, please note ChatGPT generated posts are not allowed on this forum.

5 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

For future reference, please note ChatGPT generated posts are not allowed on this forum.

Why not?

So if he didnt say it was ChatGPT generated it wouldve been fine?

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Some of what ChatGPT wrote was inaccurate, for example:

Ctrl + F: Find text on a webpage or document.

It isn't limited to webpages or documents,

it is used in many applications,

For Example: You can use CTRL + F to search for files in Windows Explorer.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Because unlike ChatGPT, people have brains and actually think about what they're posting, most of the time. 

ChatGPT can be very stupid, and can produce bad advice, bad solutions etc ...  like just yesterday we had in Programming section someone asking ChatGPT to write a C++ program to do something, and ChatGPT write a VB .Net program that did something else (though related to what was asked) because it's just some code looking at words and not actually understanding the requests.

5 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

Why not?

You asked the community for answers, if you wanted answers from ChatGPT you could have asked ChatGPT instead.

5 hours ago, CheeseOnion said:

Why not?

People went around pasting low-quality bot-generated responses with many errors in dozens of threads, it was becoming a growing problem, so we banned it.

5 hours ago, CheeseOnion said:

No.