I7 7700k and a 4070 ti/7900xt , I know it's crazy bottleneck , but how crazy?

Almendral

So... I want to upgrade my GPU , I know that my i7 7700k(I have it over locked to 5ghz) will bottleneck the 4070ti/7900xt, but right now I have a 1070 and I want to upgrade it, and also wait for the new AMD CPU release and then decide what to do with my CPU.

I mean , a 4070 or 7900 even bottlenecked should perform way better than the 1070 no?

And also, does a bottlenecked GPU takes damage ? Or just underperforms? 

Thx

10 minutes ago, Almendral said:

So... I want to upgrade my GPU , I know that my i7 7700k(I have it over locked to 5ghz) will bottleneck the 4070ti/7900xt, but right now I have a 1070 and I want to upgrade it, and also wait for the new AMD CPU release and then decide what to do with my CPU.

I mean , a 4070 or 7900 even bottlenecked should perform way better than the 1070 no?

Thx

Its going to bottleneck HARD!  I speak from personal experience.  I had a 9900k running at 5.1ghz all core and it was a absolutely terrible experience with my RTX 4080.  I upgraded to the AMD 7700x and everything is butter smooth again, the 9900k just couldn't keep up at all and it still a decent CPU. It was a stuttery mess with horrible 1% lows and below expected framerate for a 4080.  Yes, you will get more framerate with a 4070 compared to your 1070, but you will be leaving a heap ton of performance behind.  There will always be a bottleneck somewhere, its not dangerous in any way.

5 minutes ago, Almendral said:

Yeah, it's just that a 13600K and an RX 6800 will likely perform about the same, if not a bit better depending on the exact scenario. 

6 minutes ago, Almendral said:

Just under performs. 

8 minutes ago, Almendral said:

also wait for the new AMD CPU release and then decide what to do with my CPU.

I would just wait in total, you should know what the CPU will be like by the end of the month and thus should know what you're going to do by then. 

Well, depends on what kind of game you do or what kind of workload you run but the bottleneck will likely be quite severe. 

Due to the GPU driver overhead on NVIDIA the AMD card will easily outperform it in CPU bound scenarios by quite a large margin though. 

I should get a 7900XTX in a week or 2. Will reply to this post with an edit how bad it bottlenecks.

i7-7700k, Z170, 16GB of DDR4

3 hours ago, PriitM said:

I should get a 7900XTX in a week or 2. Will reply to this post with an edit how bad it bottlenecks.

i7-7700k, Z170, 16GB of DDR4

Cool man , thx 

I think i will wait for the next ryzen CPU to be released and then think about what to do .

I dont really need an upgrade , its more that i want a new build because i've been with the 7700k + Gtx1070 for 6 years now 😄 

On 2/14/2023 at 7:46 PM, Almendral said:

Cool man , thx 

So got the 7900XTX Nitro. The few intensive games so far have had only minor hiccups (little stutter) when loading in assets, but nothing game breaking. Then again, my library is from the time when 7700K was like the top dog. (2015-2018). In modern titles, I would see more of an issue, but then its the game asset loading issue, not CPU bottlenecking. And that is due to developer relying on people having the modern supportive hardware anyway.

Still, so far, very happy with 4K performance of it on the 7700K. At least in the less demanding titles.

Check out some DX12 games, it makes a huge difference for older PC’s, it is much less cpu dependent if you have a recent GPU. My backup gaming machine is a 6700k OC to 4.5 and I dropped an eBay rx5700 into it and it does ok. 8 threads aren’t perfect nowadays but they do ok. 

On 2/14/2023 at 11:49 AM, Almendral said:

I think i will wait for the next ryzen CPU to be released and then think about what to do .

I dont really need an upgrade , its more that i want a new build because i've been with the 7700k + Gtx1070 for 6 years now 😄 

What display you running and if its 1080P do you intend to move up to 1440 or stay at 1080? Cause that can very much narrow down what GPU to even bother upgrading to. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

Easy upgrade to a 4k monitor and don't worry, down the line won't be a bottleneck anymore . Enjoy the 7700k a little longer . 

On 2/21/2023 at 8:41 PM, PriitM said:

So got the 7900XTX Nitro. The few intensive games so far have had only minor hiccups (little stutter) when loading in assets, but nothing game breaking. Then again, my library is from the time when 7700K was like the top dog. (2015-2018). In modern titles, I would see more of an issue, but then its the game asset loading issue, not CPU bottlenecking. And that is due to developer relying on people having the modern supportive hardware anyway.

Still, so far, very happy with 4K performance of it on the 7700K. At least in the less demanding titles.

thanks for remembering answering to the topic! seems that prices are dropping a little bit right now , at least in my country (spain) so i am thiking about upgrading everything instead of just the gpu

On 2/22/2023 at 6:04 AM, NekoBubbles said:

What display you running and if its 1080P do you intend to move up to 1440 or stay at 1080? Cause that can very much narrow down what GPU to even bother upgrading to. 

i have a 2k 32" and a 1080 27" but i usually game on the small one , so i usually game on the 1080p one 

Don't really see the harm buying an overkill gpu when you'd have bought a new AMD 3D cache cpu and board a month later. When I was in a situation where I had a massive bottleneck (2C/2T Pentium G3258 + GTX 970) I just played easy for my cpu to run games (at the time COD Modern Warfare 2 & 3 and Bioshock Infinite) while waiting for my good cpu (Xeon E3-1231v3) to come in from newegg (fuckers took two weeks to ship it). Though 4070 Ti / 7900 XT for 1080p your monitor will be a bottleneck too unless it's like 240 Hz or something tbh.

5 hours ago, Almendral said:

i have a 2k 32" and a 1080 27" but i usually game on the small one , so i usually game on the 1080p one 

4070Ti probably premium would sound just about perfect then. 

As to what does a CPU bottleneck does its just missing performance due to the constraints of a CPU's ability to give computated orders to the GPU. The GPU might be in this case rated to be able to handle WAY over 144hz but a less powerful cpu will hold its true power back to maybe that of a 120 display of course how many frames you get anyways is limited by the resolution you run at. 😄

REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

17 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Don't really see the harm buying an overkill gpu when you'd have bought a new AMD 3D cache cpu and board a month later. When I was in a situation where I had a massive bottleneck (2C/2T Pentium G3258 + GTX 970) I just played easy for my cpu to run games (at the time COD Modern Warfare 2 & 3 and Bioshock Infinite) while waiting for my good cpu (Xeon E3-1231v3) to come in from newegg (fuckers took two weeks to ship it). Though 4070 Ti / 7900 XT for 1080p your monitor will be a bottleneck too unless it's like 240 Hz or something tbh.

The only real limitation is budget. 

6 hours ago, Almendral said:

thanks for remembering answering to the topic! seems that prices are dropping a little bit right now , at least in my country (spain) so i am thiking about upgrading everything instead of just the gpu

Personally holding off on the whole 5.0 upgrade because DDR5 is still a bit raw in its development. Once its good tho, AM5 + DDR5 for sure. Not werf at this exact moment.

i7-7700K and 4070Ti user here. As most folks have mentioned you will be bottlenecked at 1080p and 1440p but this combo is absolutely fine at 2160p. I game on my LG C2 OLED 55" while on the couch and this setup is killer for 4K gaming, I doubt there's any bottlenecking at all at 4K, I'm currently playing Hogwarts Legacy and I get a solid 120fps in most open world areas at Ultra settings with DLSS, Frame Generation and Ray Tracing turned on. FPS does tend to dip quite a bit in places like Hogwarts and Hogsmeade to around 70-90 but that's to be expected and this game is still very highly unoptimized so it'll only get better as updates are released.