GPU under performing, at my wits end..

Kamikaasi

Hi all, new here but i am at my wits end and seek help..

So i build my pc a few months ago, and everything was working fine. But lately i have issues in games with stuttering. If i run programs like afterburner or gpu tweak or hardware monitor to visually see what is going on, i cant see anything weird or wrong. If i overclock or not doesn't seem to matter either, the score will improve, but still be way below what it should be and was. So after some google searches and asking around i just re-installed everything to do with my gpu (i made sure every trace of software was removed beforehand). After a full reinstall everything was working like a charm again, scores where improved ALLOT and i was happy. But now, a few days later it is back to what it was.. I use 3dmark to benchmark my system and use their data to check against similar builds. I don't know what to do, it it no fun gaming with stuttering all the time, and it is a pretty new build... I don't see lag spikes either, but in the gta V map and menu (single player) it lags like crazy.. And so do other games (any games). Any suggestions? Please?

My system;

CPU - 5900x  (watercooled (aio) and no where near max temp even under 100%)

Ram - 32GB Corsair 3600 cl18

GPU - Asus Strix 3080 (12GB) (Gpu is stock air cooled, no where near max temp even under 100%)

PSU - Corsair rm850x

Timespy top 07-02-23 16u49.PNG

Timespy bottom 07-02-23 16u49.PNG

Could be extra software that is installed that is causing issues.

A few options for you to try:

(1) List ALL software installed on your stsrem

(2) Try a LiveUSB install of something like Linux Mint (it's very Windows-like) and game under that. If its fine, then it's some kind of software under Windows that's gone stupid. If it still mis-behaves, then t's hardware at fault.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I suppose you mean all software to do with my gpu?

Right now i have installed the following;

Nvidia control panel

GeForce Experiance (newest drivers for my gpu)

GPU tweak 3

Cpu-z

Gpu-z

OpenHardware Monitor

Riva Tuner (didnt uninstall yet while testing, uninstalled now)

Downloading Linux as i type this. Thanks so far for the tips, will look into it.

7 minutes ago, Kamikaasi said:

I suppose you mean all software to do with my gpu?

No, ALL your software installed. Some may interfere with things, causing your issues

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 2/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, Kamikaasi said:

Hi all, new here but i am at my wits end and seek help..

So i build my pc a few months ago, and everything was working fine. But lately i have issues in games with stuttering. If i run programs like afterburner or gpu tweak or hardware monitor to visually see what is going on, i cant see anything weird or wrong. If i overclock or not doesn't seem to matter either, the score will improve, but still be way below what it should be and was. So after some google searches and asking around i just re-installed everything to do with my gpu (i made sure every trace of software was removed beforehand). After a full reinstall everything was working like a charm again, scores where improved ALLOT and i was happy. But now, a few days later it is back to what it was.. I use 3dmark to benchmark my system and use their data to check against similar builds. I don't know what to do, it it no fun gaming with stuttering all the time, and it is a pretty new build... I don't see lag spikes either, but in the gta V map and menu (single player) it lags like crazy.. And so do other games (any games). Any suggestions? Please?

My system;

CPU - 5900x  (watercooled (aio) and no where near max temp even under 100%)

Ram - 32GB Corsair 3600 cl18

GPU - Asus Strix 3080 (12GB) (Gpu is stock air cooled, no where near max temp even under 100%)

PSU - Corsair rm850x

Timespy top 07-02-23 16u49.PNG

Timespy bottom 07-02-23 16u49.PNG

If you use game profiles through Nvidia software,....set it to performance per game.(GeForce now)

Turn off v-sync in each game. It might be on by default in GTA. I know it was on my end when I started playing it.

9 hours ago, Kamikaasi said:

Right now i have installed the following;

Nvidia control panel

GeForce Experiance (newest drivers for my gpu)

GPU tweak 3

Cpu-z

Gpu-z

OpenHardware Monitor

Riva Tuner (didnt uninstall yet while testing, uninstalled now)

uninstall it all, use DDU for the GPU driver then reinstall the driver,  but not GFE.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, silencer12 said:

If you use game profiles through Nvidia software,....set it to performance per game.(GeForce now)

Turn off v-sync in each game. It might be on by default in GTA. I know it was on my end when I started playing it.

Trust me, v-sync is the first thing i turned off. The problem doesnt occur for the first day or so after complete reinstall. But after it happens with every game, even something like farm sim 19... Also first time i test it after a fresh install i get way, WAY better scores in 3dmark as i do now. I will u install everything again using DDU and install the drivers manual (no GFE or any other crapware).

Thanks for the tips tho 🙂

33 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

uninstall it all, use DDU for the GPU driver then reinstall the driver,  but not GFE.

Yeah will try. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

No, ALL your software installed. Some may interfere with things, causing your issues

Oof, will do. Any thing in particular i should look for? Like known software that causes issues? Will make a list, but might be a long one. I will try uninstalling everything first and install only the driver manually. See what that does. In the meanwhile i will work on the list of software!

34 minutes ago, Kamikaasi said:

Oof, will do. Any thing in particular i should look for? Like known software that causes issues? Will make a list, but might be a long one. I will try uninstalling everything first and install only the driver manually. See what that does. In the meanwhile i will work on the list of software!

you can do that of course and its true, "any" software could cause this, but to me you already listed the most likely candidates... as said just remove all the monitoring and tweaking stuff, DDU, install gpu driver, maybe reset CMOS also because its likely especially the asus software changed something in BIOS.

Also the weird part here is you said you reinstalled windows and it was ok... you should *know* what you installed in that time frame and when the issues roughly occurred. 

i know you might just not remember but you should have a general idea (i mean you already listed some possible culprits) we dont know this , you do... personally i can only guess, as said, one or several of these programs messed something up, it was frankly not a good choice / mix. However, now you need to troubleshoot this, cause we cant, hence my suggestions above,  remove the stuff reinstall only the driver and check if anything changed.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

you can do that of course and its true, "any" software could cause this, but to me you already listed the most likely candidates... as said just remove all the monitoring and tweaking stuff, DDU, install gpu driver, maybe reset CMOS also because its likely especially the asus software changed something in BIOS.

Also the weird part here is you said you reinstalled windows and it was ok... you should *know* what you installed in that time frame and when the issues roughly occurred. 

i know you might just not remember but you should have a general idea (i mean you already listed some possible culprits) we dont know this , you do... personally i can only guess, as said, one or several of these programs messed something up, it was frankly not a good choice / mix. However, now you need to troubleshoot this, cause we cant, hence my suggestions above,  remove the stuff reinstall only the driver and check if anything changed.  

Ah no. I reinstalled everything to do with the gpu. I never reinstalled windows. I removed anything from nvidea to afterburner etc, and all the video drivers. I used ddu. Then reinstalled and it worked fine, for like a day or so. I suspect something updates in that time and then causes the issues. But to list all software that i installed past halve year is quite the list. If all else fails i might still go for a fresh windows install.

This is why I suggested trying out Linux, because all that extra crap doesn't really exist, so we can easily narrow down if it's the software or hardware

On 2/15/2023 at 2:31 PM, Radium_Angel said:

This is why I suggested trying out Linux, because all that extra crap doesn't really exist, so we can easily narrow down if it's the software or hardware

So a update after the weekend, i have been playing around with linux. But do to limmited drive space i threw it off again. I removed windows too, and basically whiped my pc (did move some files etc to another drive). 

So far everything is running fine till i attemped to install armour crate... Not only will it not install (error 102 all the time), but it messes with my performance. After uninstalling it runs like clockwork again. Dont knowbif that wqs the issue before, but it is fixed so far.. thanks for the help anyway, and i will soo buy another drive so i can dual boot. Got interested in linux 🙂

1 hour ago, Kamikaasi said:

So a update after the weekend, i have been playing around with linux. But do to limmited drive space i threw it off again. I removed windows too, and basically whiped my pc (did move some files etc to another drive). 

So far everything is running fine till i attemped to install armour crate... Not only will it not install (error 102 all the time), but it messes with my performance. After uninstalling it runs like clockwork again. Dont knowbif that wqs the issue before, but it is fixed so far.. thanks for the help anyway, and i will soo buy another drive so i can dual boot. Got interested in linux 🙂

Glad you tracked down the issue. FWIW, you don't have to install Linux, it'll run off the USB stick, but dual-booting is also an option. I'm fairly *nix savvy so if you hit upon an issue, PM, I'll see what I can do to help.

22 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Glad you tracked down the issue. FWIW, you don't have to install Linux, it'll run off the USB stick, but dual-booting is also an option. I'm fairly *nix savvy so if you hit upon an issue, PM, I'll see what I can do to help.

Thanks! I apriciate it 🙂

I will have to save up for a bit to buy another ssd tho, not that they are expensive but i have other things going that will cost me a fortune lol (owning a house is expensive). 

Again, thans for the help!

2 hours ago, Kamikaasi said:

(owning a house is expensive). 

Amen on that...houses are sentient, they can tell when your bank account is at its lowest..then start demanding stuff.

Cars are the same way.