Does it make sense to upgrade from 2080s to RT6700XT

TonyShmoney

Budget (including currency): 600 dollah

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Whatever, really. Maybe RT and some VR stuff otherwise only 1080p like the filthy casual I am. I'm a designer and intend to use it for Simulation and Renders mostly.

Other details CPU: 5900x, 64GB RAM @ 3200 mhz with fabric at 1600 mhz, m.2 drive and 850w PSU

I guess I'm wondering if AMD performance has improved from drivers so much that it makes sense to do this upgrade. The reason is I got a 600$ budget to upgrade since my job PC needs a new GPU so I figure I could slot the 2080s into my work PC and get myself a new GPU for my home PC using the cash. Otherwise I don't need an upgrade.

The 6700 XT is, on average, a 4% performance uplift over the 2080 Super. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080-super.c3439

Nothing below the 3070 ti/6800 tier is a worthwhile upgrade over your current card. Those start close to 700CAD new according to PCpartpicker, but you might be able to find a deal on a secondhand one. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

The 6700 XT is, on average, a 4% performance uplift over the 2080 Super. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080-super.c3439

Nothing below the 3070 ti/6800 tier is a worthwhile upgrade over your current card. Those start close to 700CAD new according to PCpartpicker, but you might be able to find a deal on a secondhand one. 

yep, look second hand for a 3070 ti or a 6800xt

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

pretty sure its actually slower... and if not its about equal. 

ie it makes *zero sense*

20 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

3070 ti

eh, *3080 minimum to be a worthwhile upgrade imo.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

51 minutes ago, TonyShmoney said:

Budget (including currency): 600 dollah

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Whatever, really. Maybe RT and some VR stuff otherwise only 1080p like the filthy casual I am. I'm a designer and intend to use it for Simulation and Renders mostly.

Other details CPU: 5900x, 64GB RAM @ 3200 mhz with fabric at 1600 mhz, m.2 drive and 850w PSU

I guess I'm wondering if AMD performance has improved from drivers so much that it makes sense to do this upgrade. The reason is I got a 600$ budget to upgrade since my job PC needs a new GPU so I figure I could slot the 2080s into my work PC and get myself a new GPU for my home PC using the cash. Otherwise I don't need an upgrade.

Depending on the workload, you either gain very little or loose some more. The 6700XT is not an upgrade in my opinion. The new 7000 series would be an upgrade as would by a 3080 or a 4070 for that matter. For 1080p upgrading the GPU seems a bit overkill unless you need some functionality of the newer cards. RT performance on the 6700 is quite a bit worse as well.