Is 4070ti good, if I'm building brand new PC, while not having older one ?

RealFoxyLoxy
Go to solution Solved by RevGAM,
28 minutes ago, RealFoxyLoxy said:

Only concern I have about AMD graphics is that聽FidelityFX Super Resolution from AMD is miles behind in terms of quality comparing to DLSS 2 (Tough I had no eyes-on experience with any of those since my last GPU was GTX 1080ti, and comparisons are only based of YouTube videos and feedback from my friends). As far as I can tell, DLSS is "magic" which will allow GPU to stay "powerful enough" for high settings in games for couple more years. Am I rightly concerned?

Good question and, honestly, I'm not an expert on this topic but I've watched a few videos and I think they're just being picky. I use an XFX Speedster SWFT 319 RX 6800 XT (discontinued for the newer GC a month or three later at the end of 2022) - I have no complaints whatsoever. But, when you're on a budget of, what, $900, you really don't have tons of options, and the newest AMD GCs are going to be pretty close to Nvidia's, based on what I've seen of recent benchmarks focusing on the 4070 Ti compared to anywhere from 4 to 20-some other GCs. Do a search - you'll find lots of videos, including Mike Benchmark, LTT, Gamer's Nexus and Jayz2Cents.

In the end, you have to find the balance between price and quality that works for you. You really don't seem to have the option to get a top-notch card, or even a 3090 Ti, so go with second best. If it's really that important, save up until you have the money for what you REALLY want.

But, ask yourself this question: Do I really have a justification for blowing up to double my money just to get the newest? Are you a pro gamer? Do you do serious photo and video editing, CAD, movie making, especially 3D, graphic arts, etc.? If the answers are no, then you don't need to go that route. Get the 4070 Ti or its equivalent from AMD and be happy. 馃檪

Whole question is in the title. Due to personal difficulties, I've left my PC in other country and want to build a new one where I live. As choice of GPU, I'm looking at buying Gigabyte OC 4070 TI. More expensive cards (4080, 4090) are, unfortunately not an option. Will it be a good-perfoming card considering that I want to do 1440p@120fps gaming? Are there any concerns regarding that it will become obsolete too soon, considering how much critics it got in media? Thanks in advance!

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

It's good right now but it has a budget card memory bus so I don't think it will stay good for long. Plus it's way too expensive. I wouldn't buy it.

Will this "Memory bus" really affect me in long-term if I'm not planning upgrading from 1440p to 4k display?

So, it's pretty close in performance to the 3090 Ti, which starts at around $1480, vs the 4070 Ti at $850 and the 4080 at around $1225, and that's better than both of them, but it sounds like your budget is too tight for that, sooooo...You could look at AMD to cut the cost.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

20 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

So, it's pretty close in performance to the 3090 Ti, which starts at around $1480, vs the 4070 Ti at $850 and the 4080 at around $1225, and that's better than both of them, but it sounds like your budget is too tight for that, sooooo...You could look at AMD to cut the cost.

Only concern I have about AMD graphics is that聽FidelityFX Super Resolution from AMD is miles behind in terms of quality comparing to DLSS 2 (Tough I had no eyes-on experience with any of those since my last GPU was GTX 1080ti, and comparisons are only based of YouTube videos and feedback from my friends). As far as I can tell, DLSS is "magic" which will allow GPU to stay "powerful enough" for high settings in games for couple more years. Am I rightly concerned?

28 minutes ago, RealFoxyLoxy said:

Good question and, honestly, I'm not an expert on this topic but I've watched a few videos and I think they're just being picky. I use an XFX Speedster SWFT 319 RX 6800 XT (discontinued for the newer GC a month or three later at the end of 2022) - I have no complaints whatsoever. But, when you're on a budget of, what, $900, you really don't have tons of options, and the newest AMD GCs are going to be pretty close to Nvidia's, based on what I've seen of recent benchmarks focusing on the 4070 Ti compared to anywhere from 4 to 20-some other GCs. Do a search - you'll find lots of videos, including Mike Benchmark, LTT, Gamer's Nexus and Jayz2Cents.

In the end, you have to find the balance between price and quality that works for you. You really don't seem to have the option to get a top-notch card, or even a 3090 Ti, so go with second best. If it's really that important, save up until you have the money for what you REALLY want.

But, ask yourself this question: Do I really have a justification for blowing up to double my money just to get the newest? Are you a pro gamer? Do you do serious photo and video editing, CAD, movie making, especially 3D, graphic arts, etc.? If the answers are no, then you don't need to go that route. Get the 4070 Ti or its equivalent from AMD and be happy. 馃檪

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Thanks a lot for your input!聽 Your points make a lot of sense. I'll stick with idea of buying 4070ti, since my budget is really strictly limited to ~1000 EUR regardless of how much time I'm willing to spend saving up聽馃槄聽Also I remembered one point that I'll need from time-to-time handle machine-learning workloads with TF (Which will not be main use-case of it. It still will be 95% of the time casual gaming), and I'm 100% sure it works flawless with Nvidia's CUDA, and not so much sure that it works at all with AMD cards.

Just a note: games are getting bigger and bigger. I just tested CoD: MW2 WZ 2 and noticed that my RAM (not VRAM) usage is 20 GB. In Diablo Immortal it's 19.2 GB.

3 hours ago, RealFoxyLoxy said:

Will this "Memory bus" really affect me in long-term if I'm not planning upgrading from 1440p to 4k display?

There is no way to know for sure. It all depends on how games are made in the coming years but I wouldn't risk it considering it's such an expensive card and I can promise you one thing. Games wont get smaller.