Upgradeing PC

Teradore

Budget (including currency): $1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premier Pro, After Effects, most Adobe software, Minecraft, VR Games, Hogwarts legacy 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 
Gtx1060 

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core

X370 GAMING PLUS

16 GB Ram

725 watt power supply

I just need my pc to have sizable performance improvements, when it comes to the video/photo software, I have a laptop that can handle it pretty well so I'm more focused on games and VR for me desktop. my budget is $1000 at the absolute max... I really, really cannot afford more than that. I'm not too stressed about having an ultra PC but I have finally reached the point where there is a game I want to play and my computer cant handle it...(Hogwarts legacy) 

I know Ill need to replace my power supply and probibly my GPU but how about my CPU and Motherboard?  was looking into a 2080 or something along those lines preferably Nvidia. Nothing super fancy, just a little performance boost. I do a lot of VR gaming as well and so far my computer has been mostly fine with all of those games. I haven't encountered a game it couldn't handle at at least 30 fps until today (I really don't need ultra high frame rates). I knew this day would come...

thanks! 

Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

12 minutes ago, Teradore said:

725 watt power supply

What model?

but how about my CPU and Motherboard? 

Well you can drop in something Like a 5700X and get a substantial upgrade over your 1700X, you can even put the 5800X3d in that board which is a beast for gaming, but i think the 5700X would be a more reasonable option.

was looking into a 2080 or something

If you can find one used for a good price go for it, but keep in mind that the 3070(non-Ti) is better than the 2080 in close to all games and in terms of programs like after effects it should be at least the same as the 2080 or better 

11 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Well you can drop in something Like a 5700X and get a substantial upgrade over your 1700X, you can even put the 5800X3d in that board which is a beast for gaming, but i think the 5700X would be a more reasonable option.

yeah i don't think the marginal performance difference justifies one being almost twice as expensive as the other.  Frankly, if your editing does well on a laptop, the 5600 may be more than capable, as it games about the same as the 5700x in almost everything and costs about $60 less.  Though, the 8-core may be favorable if you get into heavier editing (but your GPU matters more for that anyway).

11 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

If you can find one used for a good price go for it, but keep in mind that the 3070(non-Ti) is better than the 2080 in close to all games and in terms of programs like after effects it should be at least the same as the 2080 or better 

With you're budget a used 3080 is totally doable and is WAY faster than the 2080.  The Dell/Alienware and HP ones are going for under $500 on eBay, and they are actually quite well-made boards and coolers.  I saw one of the Dell ones for $430 with a broken fan, which is awesome if you have extra fans as removing the entire fan assembly and ziptying 2x120mm PWM fans to the radiator usually leads to better cooling and noise than any AiB fan can ever provide.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

14 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

What model?

Its an X Plus Power 725W  https://www.amazon.com/Sentey-XPP725-HS-Computer-Desktop-Bearing/product-reviews/B00SN6VN7W?pageNumber=7 

4 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

yeah i don't think the marginal performance difference justifies one being almost twice as expensive as the other.  Frankly, if your editing does well on a laptop, the 5600 may be more than capable, as it games about the same as the 5700x in almost everything and costs about $60 less.  Though, the 8-core may be favorable if you get into heavier editing (but your GPU matters more for that anyway).

Honestly id say the extra $60 is worth it if its helpful for editing, as it would be nice to be able to do more on my desktop.

13 minutes ago, Teradore said:

Its an X Plus Power 725W  https://www.amazon.com/Sentey-XPP725-HS-Computer-Desktop-Bearing/product-reviews/B00SN6VN7W?pageNumber=7 

Honestly id say the extra $60 is worth it if its helpful for editing, as it would be nice to be able to do more on my desktop.

5700x it is, then.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

On 2/8/2023 at 12:18 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

5700x it is, then.

Thnaks for your help! will be ordering parts tomarrow! do you think a 725W power suply is enough?