Is this the start of Kickstarter consumer protection? WA state sues derelict campaign

nicehat

AsylumBackFaces_new.jpg

Could this be the beginning of consumer protection for Kickstarter backers? Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson today filed the first consumer protection lawsuit against Altius Management company for failing to deliver the promised rewards of its successfully-Kickstarted Asylum Playing cards. The Asylum Playing Cards campaign raised $25,146 from 810 backers, including at least 31 from Washington state in 2012.

That campaign involved a project to print and market a deck of cards and other items featuring artwork created by a Serbian artist. Project backers were promised the playing cards and other rewards with an estimated delivery date of December 2012. To date, the project has not been completed and none of the backers have received any of the promised items or any refunds. Additionally, the company has not communicated with its backers since July 2013.

According to the lawsuit's filing, "Kickstarter's terms of use make clear that companies are legally obligated to fulfill the promised rewards or provide consumer refunds."
In the lawsuit, the Attorney General is seeking restitution for consumers, the state's costs and attorneys' fees and as much as $2,000 per violation of the Consumer Protection Act in civil penalties.

"This lawsuit sends a clear message to people seeking the public's money: Washington state will not tolerate crowdfunding theft," affirmed Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson . "The Attorney General's Office will hold those accountable who don't play by the rules."

Has the Kickstarter equation changed? Crowd funding entails risks for the backers when products get delayed, under developed or not developed at all. However, this move might actually change all that for everyone. What do you guys think? 

EDIT: Its a shame they wont be released, these cards look really cool. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

This is kinda like that guy who made a board game and got $80,000 and bought a new car, Lameee.

I dont see a problem. Its a fair rule that needs to be in place.  Avoids scams if u ask me.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Idiots, idiots everywhere. Pledged for 4 things ever on kickstarter knowing I will get 3/4 of total atleast.

P.s. Send this link down to those stupid attorneys or what ever

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/1zpn0s/kickstarter_fail_artist_raises_51k_to_publish/

And this (OG KS link)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children

And read the comments

GG

IMDONe

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Isn't the problem that everybody thinks of Kickstarter simply as a preorder thing ? There should be risk but seems nobody is aware of it...