Upgrading GPU from 1060 GTX 6GB

Maverun

Budget (including currency): 700 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Coding

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is my existing build

• AMD R7 1700 3 GHz 8 core
  • MSI B350M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
  • Asus DUAL GeFore GTX 1060 6GB  6GB Video card
  • Cooler Master HAF 992  ATX Tower Case
  • Corsair TX850M 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi Modular ATX Power Supply

I am consider upgrading my GPU from 1060 GTX 6GB to something better

I am currently running 4 monitor, one of them will be soon replace with 2k monitor with 175hz (i never gone above 60 so i am thinking to limit to 120 or 144?) (main monitor btw)

I am Linux dude, I hardly touch window anymore, praise proton

I am really out of tech world so I hardly know nothing good about hardware.

but I thinking that using AMD GPU would be better to go with for ease driver stuff (also open source)

I got people telling me go with RX 6950 XT AMD
Is there also better than that within 600-700 CAD budget or so?

I am concern on PSU as i heard latest gpu use more power than in the past.

P.S Someone told me i should prob upgrade CPU...Should I consider that as well?

For better you gotta be lucky is my guess...about 6 weeks ago 3080s were going for less than the original msrp but that initial surge of sales has passed. Secondhand could be an option but risky if you cannot get to a seller that will install the card and you see it working etc and the card acan be tested?

I was pissed as in my local market a 3090 to from MSI was going for less than I paid for my MSI 3080 18 months ago..and the 3090 was stock on the retailers

shelf.

EDIT: your PSU is fine I dont see anything within your budget that could buy any GPU that would be an issue for your system

for linux i think yeah, amd is generally better. 

22 minutes ago, Maverun said:

Someone told me i should prob upgrade CPU...Should I consider that as well?

yh, that cpu is far too weak for 6950xt.

probably something like a 5600 or better would be good and maybe you could even keep your old mobo if it supports the cpu.

ps: your psu should be totally fine for this though 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Maverun said:

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am currently running 4 monitor, one of them will be soon replace with 2k monitor with 175hz (i never gone above 60 so i am thinking to limit to 120 or 144?) (main monitor btw)

but I thinking that using AMD GPU would be better to go with for ease driver stuff (also open source)

Hello... First the newer RX 6950XT would completely bottleneck your current CPU. I would recommend a whole system upgrade. And yes the newer Video Cards use more power, your Corsair TX model might handle it but I would not trust it, I would only use it in like a testing bench. I have a list for you below on what you should be using, not current gen but still extremely relevant.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DkDGTn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($255.50 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: GAMDIAS CHIONE M2 67 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($316.80 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($125.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($125.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($73.27 @ iSanek)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($643.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Antec NX410 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($104.89 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Total: $1870.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

12 minutes ago, PC MD Doctors said:

Hello... First the newer RX 6950XT would completely bottleneck your current CPU. I would recommend a whole system upgrade. And yes the newer Video Cards use more power, your Corsair TX model might handle it but I would not trust it, I would only use it in like a testing bench. I have a list for you below on what you should be using, not current gen but still extremely relevant.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DkDGTn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($255.50 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: GAMDIAS CHIONE M2 67 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($316.80 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($73.27 @ iSanek)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($643.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Antec NX410 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($104.89 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Total: $1870.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

There is no reason at all to build a whole new computer when they only wanted to spend like 700. Even if you bottleneck the cpu who cares just get the gpu you want and upgrade cpu if it supports 5600 and if it doesn’t you won’t have to buy a gpu for the next build.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 hour ago, Maverun said:

Your PSU is fine for 6950Xt but That isnt in your budget The best card in your budget is 6800 But if you can add a littile bit more 6950Xt and 7900XTX is great option but will be limited by your cpu BUT you can upgrade the cpu to 5800X3D (I heard the extra cache can reduce the compile times) if your mobo supports it(it does) or When you have money you could upgrade to AM5. 

27 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

There is no reason at all to build a whole new computer when they only wanted to spend like 700

I dont know, dudes felt like just sending his "2000$ PC build" list to me because "its not worth it".

1 hour ago, Maverun said:

his is my existing build

Im surprised that B350 is still alive to this day, i dont think itll be able to shit out 5800X3D tier TDP out of it. But for something like 5700X? Plausible. But if youre at that 700 CAD budget firm, at 1440p, just buy the most expensive GPU you could power with that PSU.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Wow thank you all for posting.

I didn't realize how my spec is atm, if it necessarily I can increase budget more, say 1k? More or less..

Mhm I might consider upgrade moba... Maybe I should get big case I always consider getting full tower haha..

So within roughly 1k approximately,

5700x and 6950xt with bit more psu is ideal or is there better improvement to this?

I am hoping to have build last for good next 5 year or so

11 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

There is no reason at all to build a whole new computer when they only wanted to spend like 700. Even if you bottleneck the cpu who cares just get the gpu you want and upgrade cpu if it supports 5600 and if it doesn’t you won’t have to buy a gpu for the next build.

You know what.... I really hate when people question my work. I have been in the business of PC building for almost 30 years and have personally built over 2500+ PCs. I know what I'm talking about, I didn't spend 15 years of my life and over $100,000 in tuition fees and materials learning this fine craft.

His current CPU is way too under powered for a GPU like the RX 6950 XT. His B350 might have an update for a Zen 3 chip but still how long would it last with a new CPU? And lastly his Corsair TX model is a low tier model and not made for a a high end GPU like the RX 6950 XT, I wouldn't even put a RX 6700 with it.

So please everyone, don't say that I'm giving bad advice. If I didn't know what he needed or how to help him I would not have replied to his inquiry.

Please have a nice day!

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

4 minutes ago, PC MD Doctors said:

You know what.... I really hate when people question my work. I have been in the business of PC building for almost 30 years and have personally built over 2500+ PCs. I know what I'm talking about, I didn't spend 15 years of my life and over $100,000 in tuition fees and materials learning this fine craft.

His current CPU is way too under powered for a GPU like the RX 6950 XT. His B350 might have an update for a Zen 3 chip but still how long would it last with a new CPU? And lastly his Corsair TX model is a low tier model and not made for a a high end GPU like the RX 6950 XT, I wouldn't even put a RX 6700 with it.

So please everyone, don't say that I'm giving bad advice. If I didn't know what he needed or how to help him I would not have replied to his inquiry.

Please have a nice day!

While you are not wrong, it is still bad advice as it does not adhere to their budget. Upgrading the gpu is still an upgrade.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

12 hours ago, Maverun said:

Wow thank you all for posting.

I didn't realize how my spec is atm, if it necessarily I can increase budget more, say 1k? More or less..

Mhm I might consider upgrade moba... Maybe I should get big case I always consider getting full tower haha..

So within roughly 1k approximately,

5700x and 6950xt with bit more psu is ideal or is there better improvement to this?

I am hoping to have build last for good next 5 year or so

dont overspend just because someone posted a fantasy build you didn't ask for

you need:

gpu as mentioned 6950xt is fine (maybe go for a 7900XT/X if you can afford it) 

a cpu 5600 and up is fine (and this cpu should be literally like ~100 bucks)

update your bios, swap in the new cpu, then install the gpu, update drivers,  chipset... and you're done. no need to spend more  - as said your psu should be fine, if it isnt you'll notice and you can buy a new one, but preemptively buying a new one when the old one is most likely fine makes no sense at all ; p

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So I am left with two choice

Get 5600 or higher CPU that my moba can handle, and 6950 XT or up

then in 5 year or later, when i need to upgrade cpu, i need to buy new MOBA to handle upgrade CPU

or i can do fully upgrade pc like that build 1.8k CAD

I feel like first choice is more better choice for me?

23 hours ago, PC MD Doctors said:

Please have a nice day!

I'm really sorry you accrued such debt. I've been building PC's casually for the same period of time! Started out with my dad's Apple IIC. It's entirely possible to just power limit a higher wattage GPU to run safely on a lower wattage PSU and still get the benefits of higher generational efficiency for better gameplay at the same or slightly more power draw. I'm confident that a 6800 it 6950 at the same wattage as a 1060 will outperform a 1060. As I said, if he sees a deal he should go for it and do the rest as his budget going forward allows. He's not wasting money doing this, it'll be OK.

Thank you all for your suggestion,

I have brought RX 6750 XT (store was out of 6950 also price is higher) with 5800x3D CPU
It went over my budget but i am sure i dont regret it. It will last me for good next 5 years or so

P.S Sorry guy! I was wrong on motherboard! turn out it was ASUS Prime B350-Plus (similar but different brand haha..)

(Oh yeah i also brought 32gb ram just to flex haha..)

20230211_005600.jpgimage.png